Garfield Neurobehavioral Center is one of eight nursing homes located in Oakland, California. After receiving an overall rating of A, this facility is one of the top facilities we assessed. In fact, we were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it ahead of most of the nursing homes in Oakland, which boasts a good selection of nursing homes. This place also received consistently good scores in each of our categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Garfield Neurobehavioral Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Oakland senior living options.Get Pricing
- No Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. Our inspection ratings are based on several items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that excel in this category typically have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
In addition, this facility received high marks in the area of long-term care. As a result, it received one of our most impressive grades in that category with a grade of A+. When facilities receive this type of grade in this category it is typically a good sign for resident care and indicates that the place is well-staffed with nurses aids. One of the statistics we considered on top of nursing hours is vaccines. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccination to 98.1982 percent of its patients. Vaccination is a great way to minimize unnecessary deaths for the aged 65 and up population. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Garfield Neurobehavioral Center?
Among its many impressive grades, this facility received an excellent nursing grade. In fact, we gave it a grade of A in that category. There are numerous criteria within this area. Many of these datapoints are tied to nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to our fourth area, this nursing home received a high-end short-term care rating. Although this isn't quite as strong as several of its other scores, this is still one of the stronger scores we offer. In calculating our short-term care grades, we analyze the facility's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other types of therapists. This area is often a meaningful assessment of the nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the number of patients who returned home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Garfield Neurobehavioral Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Garfield Neurobehavioral Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients that are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a great barometer of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Garfield Neurobehavioral Center, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents which have experienced a fall resulting in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be an indication of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Garfield Neurobehavioral Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients which have had urinary tract infections. Although a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be difficult to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Garfield Neurobehavioral Center, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term patients who were administered antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such drugs are not medically indicated. However, some facilities need to rely more on these medications due to having more patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Garfield Neurobehavioral Center, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Garfield Neurobehavioral Center, 5.83% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. Many believe this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Garfield Neurobehavioral Center, 95.65% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Garfield Neurobehavioral Center, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may indicate the deterioration of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Garfield Neurobehavioral Center, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Garfield Neurobehavioral Center, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Garfield Neurobehavioral Center, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Oakland, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Oakland, California has 7 other nursing homes
- Highland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.29 miles away1411 East 31st Street Oakland California 94602Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 437-4800
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.78 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- Alta Bates Summit Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.38 miles away350 Hawthorne Avenue Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 655-4000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Oakland/RichmondAcute Care Hospitals 3.4 miles away275 West Macarthur Boulevard Oakland California 94611Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 752-1000
- Children's Hospital & Research Center OaklandChildrens 4.5 miles away747 52nd Street Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 428-3000
- Alta Bates Summit Medical Center - Alta Bates CampAcute Care Hospitals 5.52 miles away2450 Ashby Avenue Berkeley California 94705Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 204-4444
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San LeandroAcute Care Hospitals 6.15 miles away2500 Merced Street San Leandro California 94577Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 454-1000
- San Leandro HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.67 miles away13855 E 14th Street San Leandro California 94578Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 357-6500
- Rai - East Bay - Oakland0.17 miles away2628 International Blvd, Ste 100 Oakland California 94601CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 261-8219
- Alameda County Dialysis Center2.55 miles away10700 Macarthur Blvd. Building 7 Oakland California 94605CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 568-5849
- Rai Peralta3.33 miles away2757 Telegraph Avenue Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 835-0154
- Satellite Dialysis Oakland3.54 miles away3330 Telegraph Ave Oakland California 94609CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 433-8340
- Rai Piedmont4.36 miles away2710 Telegraph Avenue Suite #100 Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (510) 286-9948
- Oakland Dialysis Center4.48 miles away5354 Claremont Avenue Oakland California 94618CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (510) 597-0104
- Rai Bancroft4.77 miles away6955 Foothill Blvd. Ste 220 Oakland California 94605Dialysis Stations: 26 (510) 553-1333
- Rai E. 14th4.81 miles away198 East 14th St San Leandro California 94577Dialysis Stations: 21 (510) 430-8311