Garden Terrace at Overland Park is one of 12 facilities in Overland Park, Kansas. We gave this nursing home a C overall, which isn't a bad grade. This is comparable with the city grade in Overland Park, which is a B-. You can definitely do worse than this nursing home. This nursing home is stronger in some categories than others, but it didn't have any bad scores in any of the major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Garden Terrace at Overland Park
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
On top of having a decent overall grade, we also want to point out that this nursing home earned favorable government inspections in recent years. We gave them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B. This is a much better score than the nursing home's overall score. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in calculating our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Facilities with higher grades in this category typically dodged the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Based on this, we still had favorable view of this facility's recent inspections.
This nursing home also excelled in nursing, where it earned an B. Few nursing homes performed better in this category. In computing our nursing ratings, we factor in both staffing levels and the training levels of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Garden Terrace at Overland Park?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's third best category was short-term care. In that category, we awarded this facility a C. Our short-term care ratings are important for people requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually requires higher levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes a broad scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. We were surprised to find that this nursing home was below average in the two key staffing areas we focus on. The facility supplied fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. It is still important to determine whether this also correlates to a lower quality of care. The final metric we considered in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 3.1 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our fourth area, this facility was given a decent long-term care grade of C. Our long-term care ratings are more critical for those requiring more traditional services associated with personal care. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 85.39823 percent of its residents. This is many points lower than what we were hoping for. Fortunately, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Garden Terrace at Overland Park Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Garden Terrace at Overland Park, 7.05% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols minimizes the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Garden Terrace at Overland Park, 5.14% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a fall which caused severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Garden Terrace at Overland Park, 3.56% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term residents who have suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be an indicator of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic can be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Garden Terrace at Overland Park, 17.24% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Garden Terrace at Overland Park, 22.38% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term stay residents who are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly prescribed to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Garden Terrace at Overland Park, 5.98% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are showing depressive symptoms. High levels of depression may indicate worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Garden Terrace at Overland Park, 91.04% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Garden Terrace at Overland Park, 16.84% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Garden Terrace at Overland Park, 19.61% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Garden Terrace at Overland Park, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is critical to maintaining the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Garden Terrace at Overland Park, 19.61 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Garden Terrace at Overland Park, 10.57 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Overland Park, KS
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Overland Park, Kansas has 11 other nursing homes
- Adventhealth Shawnee MissionAcute Care Hospitals 0.74 miles away9100 W 74th Street Overland Park Kansas 66204Voluntary non-profit - Church(913) 676-2152
- Overland Park Reg Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 3.88 miles away10500 Quivira Road Lenexa Kansas 66215Proprietary(913) 541-5000
- Menorah Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.16 miles away5721 West 119th Street Leawood Kansas 66209Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 498-6773
- Saint Luke's South HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.28 miles away12300 Metcalf Avenue Overland Park Kansas 66213Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 317-7904
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.65 miles away1000 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114Proprietary(816) 942-4400
- University of Kansas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.82 miles away4000 Cambridge Street Kansas City Kansas 66160Government - Hospital District or Authority(913) 588-7332
- St Lukes Hospital of Kansas CityAcute Care Hospitals 7.23 miles away4401 Wornall Road Kansas City Missouri 64111Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 932-2000
- Research Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.94 miles away2316 E Meyer Blvd Kansas City Missouri 64132Proprietary(816) 276-4000
- Johnson County Dialysis1.14 miles away10453 W 84th Terrace Overland Park Kansas 66214CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (913) 492-2044
- Lenexa Dialysis1.37 miles away8630 Halsey Lenexa Kansas 66215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (913) 894-1100
- Concerto Kansas, LLC1.96 miles away6740 W 121st St Suite 100 Leawood Kansas 66209Dialysis Stations: 1 (913) 283-8063
- Fkc - Lenexa3.38 miles away13201 W 98th St Lenexa Kansas 66215Dialysis Stations: 13 (913) 492-4571
- Davita Overland Park Dialysis4.46 miles away12201 W 110th St Overland Park Kansas 66210Dialysis Stations: 16 (913) 451-5984
- Bio-Medical Applications of Leawood5.9 miles away6751 W 119th St Leawood Kansas 66209Dialysis Stations: 18 (913) 491-6341
- Rai - Rainbow Blvd - Westwood6.11 miles away4720 Rainbow Blvd Suite 200 Mission Kansas 66205CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (913) 403-0441
- Nall Dialysis6.74 miles away10787 Nall Ave #130 Leawood Kansas 66211Dialysis Stations: 15 (913) 649-2671