Garden Terrace at Overland Park is a large nursing home located in Overland Park, Kansas. Our grading scheme was not favorable to this nursing home, as we gave it an overall rating of F. Fortunately, this nursing home is one of 12 nursing homes in this city so if you aren't impressed, you should have better options. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, nursing grades are discussed in the next section.
Garden Terrace at Overland Park
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Even though we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a somewhat respectable nursing grade this year. We gave it a C in that area. Nursing grades are primarily based on a nursing home's nurse staffing. This place provides only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is a somewhat alarming figure which is well below the national average. Lastly, while this place got dinged a bit for nursing hours, it excelled in some of our quality-based metrics. With fewer than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it did very well in this area.
As it turns out, its government inspection reports were not the source of this facility's rock bottom overall grade. It earned a C in this category. Our inspection scores weigh a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Does this page answer your questions about Garden Terrace at Overland Park?
Long-term Care Quality
Surprisingly, we awarded this nursing home a grade of C for our long-term care grade, which really isn't a bad grade. For prospective residents looking for a permanent place to live rather than skilled nursing, long-term care is a very important category. In addition to considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to just 84.46602 percent of its residents, which is slightly concerning. Fortunately, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we rated was short-term care, is this nursing home's worst area. We awarded this nursing home a grade of D in that area. Our short-term care ratings are thought to be most critical for residents requiring a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means not merely nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. With its weak score in this area, we weren't surprised to learn that this place provides substantially fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most nursing homes. The final item we considered in this area is the percentage of patients who ultimately were able to return home from the facility. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 2.3 percent of its residents returning home. Unfortunately, this was quite a bit below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Garden Terrace at Overland Park Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Garden Terrace at Overland Park, 7.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Garden Terrace at Overland Park, 5.12% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric tells you the percent of long-term residents which had falls which resulted in serious injury. We use this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Garden Terrace at Overland Park, 3.63% of Patients had UTIs
This measures the percentage of long-term residents who experienced a UTI. While a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it is problematic to compare between nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Garden Terrace at Overland Park, 16.93% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to residents for many conditions, such as dementia. Unfortunately, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Garden Terrace at Overland Park, 22.05% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Garden Terrace at Overland Park, 5.92% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Garden Terrace at Overland Park, 91.42% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Garden Terrace at Overland Park, 16.92% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and continence. Some experts believe that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Garden Terrace at Overland Park, 21.25% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Garden Terrace at Overland Park, 1.62 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Garden Terrace at Overland Park, 21.25 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Garden Terrace at Overland Park, 10.63 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Overland Park, KS
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Overland Park, Kansas has 11 other nursing homes
- Adventhealth Shawnee MissionAcute Care Hospitals 0.74 miles away9100 W 74th Street Overland Park Kansas 66204Voluntary non-profit - Church(913) 676-2152
- Overland Park Reg Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 3.88 miles away10500 Quivira Road Lenexa Kansas 66215Proprietary(913) 541-5000
- Menorah Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.16 miles away5721 West 119th Street Leawood Kansas 66209Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 498-6773
- Saint Luke's South HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.28 miles away12300 Metcalf Avenue Overland Park Kansas 66213Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 317-7904
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.65 miles away1000 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114Proprietary(816) 942-4400
- University of Kansas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.82 miles away4000 Cambridge Street Kansas City Kansas 66160Government - Hospital District or Authority(913) 588-7332
- St Lukes Hospital of Kansas CityAcute Care Hospitals 7.23 miles away4401 Wornall Road Kansas City Missouri 64111Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 932-2000
- Research Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.94 miles away2316 E Meyer Blvd Kansas City Missouri 64132Proprietary(816) 276-4000
- Johnson County Dialysis1.14 miles away10453 W 84th Terrace Overland Park Kansas 66214CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (913) 492-2044
- Lenexa Dialysis1.37 miles away8630 Halsey Lenexa Kansas 66215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (913) 894-1100
- Concerto Kansas, LLC1.96 miles away6740 W 121st St Suite 100 Leawood Kansas 66209Dialysis Stations: 1 (913) 283-8063
- Fkc - Lenexa3.38 miles away13201 W 98th St Lenexa Kansas 66215Dialysis Stations: 13 (913) 492-4571
- Davita Overland Park Dialysis4.46 miles away12201 W 110th St Overland Park Kansas 66210Dialysis Stations: 16 (913) 451-5984
- Bio-Medical Applications of Leawood5.9 miles away6751 W 119th St Leawood Kansas 66209Dialysis Stations: 18 (913) 491-6341
- Rai - Rainbow Blvd - Westwood6.11 miles away4720 Rainbow Blvd Suite 200 Mission Kansas 66205CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (913) 403-0441
- Nall Dialysis6.74 miles away10787 Nall Ave #130 Leawood Kansas 66211Dialysis Stations: 15 (913) 649-2671