Garden Terrace at Overland Park is a large nursing home located in Overland Park, Kansas. We gave this nursing home a B- overall, which is a decent grade. This is comparable with the city grade in Overland Park, which is a B. Even in a city offering 13 other nursing homes, this facility ought to be a perfectly acceptable option. This nursing home is stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any bad scores in any of the major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Garden Terrace at Overland Park
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Overland Park senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this turned out to be a decent nursing home is that it earned a very favorable inspection score. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of B+. Perhaps the most significant factor we consider in computing our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. Places with higher scores in this category typically dodged the most severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
We also awarded this facility an impressive score in short-term care. This nursing home received a B in this area, which turns out to be one of our higher grades. In our short-term care assessment, we try to create a meaningful gauge for rehabilitation services. In this process, we look at a facility's levels of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last metric we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Garden Terrace at Overland Park?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's third most favorable area was long-term care. We gave it a B- in this category. This is basically a middle of the pack score in this area. Our long-term care scores are more important for individuals needing more conventional services associated with activities of daily living. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 86.89139 percent of its patients. This is quite a bit lower than the national average. Nevertheless, this facility keeps its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Moving on to the fourth category, this facility received a grade of B- in nursing, which is a decent grade. When determining our nursing ratings, we factor in both staffing levels and the levels of licensure of those nurses. This place averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis, which is well below average. Finally, we like to look at quality-based metrics, such as the percent of residents who sustained pressure ulcers and major falls. Sometimes these metrics are indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Garden Terrace at Overland Park Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Garden Terrace at Overland Park, 8.22% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Garden Terrace at Overland Park, 5.06% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are often associated with lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing protocols can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Garden Terrace at Overland Park, 1.39% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Garden Terrace at Overland Park, 26.45% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for many conditions, including cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Garden Terrace at Overland Park, 31.66% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term care residents which are administered antianxiety medication. These medications are typically prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Garden Terrace at Overland Park, 5.96% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Garden Terrace at Overland Park, 85.71% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Garden Terrace at Overland Park, 22.44% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and continence. Some experts believe that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Garden Terrace at Overland Park, 19.76% of Residents
This is the percent of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Garden Terrace at Overland Park, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Garden Terrace at Overland Park, 19.76% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Garden Terrace at Overland Park, 7.47% of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Overland Park, KS
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Overland Park, Kansas has 12 other nursing homes
- Adventhealth Shawnee MissionAcute Care Hospitals 0.74 miles away9100 W 74th Street Overland Park Kansas 66204Voluntary non-profit - Church(913) 676-2152
- Overland Park Reg Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 3.88 miles away10500 Quivira Road Lenexa Kansas 66215Proprietary(913) 541-5000
- Menorah Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.16 miles away5721 West 119th Street Leawood Kansas 66209Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 498-6773
- Saint Luke's South HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.28 miles away12300 Metcalf Avenue Overland Park Kansas 66213Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 317-7904
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.65 miles away1000 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114Proprietary(816) 942-4400
- University of Kansas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.82 miles away4000 Cambridge Street Kansas City Kansas 66160Government - Hospital District or Authority(913) 588-7332
- St Lukes Hospital of Kansas CityAcute Care Hospitals 7.23 miles away4401 Wornall Road Kansas City Missouri 64111Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 932-2000
- Research Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.94 miles away2316 E Meyer Blvd Kansas City Missouri 64132Proprietary(816) 276-4000
- Johnson County Dialysis1.14 miles away10453 W 84th Terrace Overland Park Kansas 66214CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (913) 492-2044
- Lenexa Dialysis1.37 miles away8630 Halsey Lenexa Kansas 66215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (913) 894-1100
- Concerto Kansas, LLC1.96 miles away6740 W 121st St Suite 100 Leawood Kansas 66209Dialysis Stations: 1 (913) 283-8063
- Fkc - Lenexa3.38 miles away13201 W 98th St Lenexa Kansas 66215Dialysis Stations: 13 (913) 492-4571
- Davita Overland Park Dialysis4.46 miles away12201 W 110th St Overland Park Kansas 66210Dialysis Stations: 16 (913) 451-5984
- Bio-Medical Applications of Leawood5.9 miles away6751 W 119th St Leawood Kansas 66209Dialysis Stations: 18 (913) 491-6341
- Rai - Rainbow Blvd - Westwood6.11 miles away4720 Rainbow Blvd Suite 200 Mission Kansas 66205CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (913) 403-0441
- Nall Dialysis6.74 miles away10787 Nall Ave #130 Leawood Kansas 66211Dialysis Stations: 15 (913) 649-2671