Garden City Healthcare Center is located in the densely populated metropolitan area of Modesto, California with a total of 255,354 people. This facility was given an A- overall, which is a very strong score. In fact, we were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it as the top nursing home in Modesto. The best part of this facility's report card was is its long-term care rating. Long-term care grades are discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Garden City Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Modesto senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Modesto, California Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Modesto, California Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to being a first rate nursing home overall, this nursing home also performed well in long-term care, where it received an A. Nursing homes that receive this type of grade in this category tend to provide consistent 24/7 care to ensure patients are well cared for. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is significantly higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was superb in the category of short-term care, where it received a grade of A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Short-term care grades are meaningful for prospective residents seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes more skilled nursing. This means a broad range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Unfortunately, we were not able to track down information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. Finally, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.9 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Garden City Healthcare Center?
This nursing home also excelled in the area of inspections, where it received a grade of B+. Few facilities performed better in this area. Our inspection ratings are based on items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that score well in this category typically have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
The last category we analyzed is nursing, in which this facility was awarded a grade of B. Believe it or not, this proved to be this nursing home's weakest area. A nursing home is doing something right when their weakest score still rates higher than most nursing homes. Nursing grades are primarily tied to the facility's nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Garden City Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Garden City Healthcare Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that suffered from pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Garden City Healthcare Center, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term care residents who suffered a fall which caused severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Garden City Healthcare Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often associated with poor nursing care. Better hygiene protocols reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Note that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Garden City Healthcare Center, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients which were given antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such medications are not medically indicated. However, some facilities need to rely more on these drugs due to having more residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Garden City Healthcare Center, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who are administered antianxiety drugs. These drugs are given to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Garden City Healthcare Center, 5.83% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Garden City Healthcare Center, 95.65% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Garden City Healthcare Center, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Garden City Healthcare Center, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Garden City Healthcare Center, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is important to preserving the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Garden City Healthcare Center, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Garden City Healthcare Center, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Garden City Healthcare Center, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Modesto, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Modesto, California has 3 other nursing homes
- Doctors Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.91 miles away1441 Florida Avenue Modesto California 95350Proprietary(209) 578-1211
- Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.02 miles away1700 Coffee Rd Modesto California 95355Voluntary non-profit - Private(209) 526-4500
- Oak Valley Hospital DistrictAcute Care Hospitals 10.3 miles away350 S Oak Ave Oakdale California 95361Government - Hospital District or Authority(209) 847-3011
- Doctors Hospital of MantecaAcute Care Hospitals 13.78 miles away1205 E North Street Manteca California 95336Voluntary non-profit - Other(209) 823-3111
- Emanuel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.65 miles away825 Delbon Ave Turlock California 95382Voluntary non-profit - Church(209) 667-4200
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital MantecaAcute Care Hospitals 15.72 miles away1777 West Yosemite Ave Manteca California 95337Voluntary non-profit - Private(209) 825-3700
- Archway Modesto Home Training0.76 miles away3001 Health Care Way, Suite 101 Modesto California 95350Dialysis Stations: 4 (209) 543-1721
- Modesto Kidney Center, LLC1.28 miles away305 E. Granger Ave.., Ste. 102 Modesto California 95350CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (209) 574-6800
- Parkway Kidney Center1.32 miles away2200 Plaza Parkway, Suite b1-b4 Modesto California 95350CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (209) 574-6818
- Wellbound of Modesto1.72 miles away1315 Tenth Street #100 Modesto California 95354Dialysis Stations: 4 (209) 238-4080
- Satellite Dialysis Central Modesto1.72 miles away1315 10th Street, Suite 300 Modesto California 95354CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (209) 238-4087
- Satellite Dialysis Modesto2.52 miles away3500 Coffee Road #21 Modesto California 95355CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (209) 578-0691
- Archway Dialysis of Modesto3.61 miles away3001 Health Care Way Modesto California 95356CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (209) 543-1720
- Satellite Healthcare North Modesto4.2 miles away4207 Bangs Avenue, Suite 100 Modesto California 95356CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (209) 338-2500