Future Care Canton Harbor is a large nursing home located in Baltimore, Maryland. Sporting an overall grade of B, this is a very respectable option. You can definitely do much worse than this nursing home. The best aspect of this nursing home's strong profile is its short-term care grade. We discuss short-term care in the next paragraph
Future Care Canton Harbor
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
1300 S. Ellwood Avenue,
Baltimore MD 21224
86.25% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
One of the reasons this turned out to be a quality facility is it received a very impressive short-term care rating. Short-term care is its best category. In that area, we gave this nursing home an A. In the area of short-term care, we seek to qualify measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final metric we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents that were able to return home from the facility. We found that 6.5 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
One of the other reasons we graded this nursing home so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing score. In that category, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A-. Nursing scores are heavily correlated with nurse staffing levels. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Future Care Canton Harbor?
This facility earned a good score in the area of inspections as well. In fact, we awarded it a B- for that category, which is one of our better scores. Our inspection ratings are based on datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important thing to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to the well being of residents. This facility was hit with 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This means that the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to cause an imminent risk to patient health or safety. We should note that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we scored was long-term care. We awarded this facility a C in this area. Long-term care grades assess a facility's assistance with daily living instead of the highly skilled therapy and medical services that are critical to a rehabilitation facility. After considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination records. We were a bit worried that this nursing home vaccinated 89.35185 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which happens to be significantly lower than what we expected. Nevertheless, this nursing home excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Future Care Canton Harbor Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Future Care Canton Harbor, 10.24% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Future Care Canton Harbor, 2.73% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Future Care Canton Harbor, 2.07% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Future Care Canton Harbor, 13.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. These medications may be used for treating several medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Future Care Canton Harbor, 14.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Future Care Canton Harbor, 10.18% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Future Care Canton Harbor, 92.14% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Future Care Canton Harbor, 19.83% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Future Care Canton Harbor, 28.37% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Future Care Canton Harbor, 1.1 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is important to preserving the physical health of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Future Care Canton Harbor, 28.37 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Future Care Canton Harbor, 8.93 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Future Care Canton Harbor, 74.3% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Baltimore, MD
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Baltimore, Maryland has 26 other nursing homes
- Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.25 miles away4940 Eastern Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21224Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 550-0123
- Johns Hopkins Hospital, TheAcute Care Hospitals 1.64 miles away600 North Wolfe Street Baltimore Maryland 21287Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 955-9540
- Kennedy Krieger InstituteChildrens 1.81 miles away707 North Broadway Baltimore Maryland 21205Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 923-9301
- Mercy Medical Center IncAcute Care Hospitals 2.38 miles away301 Saint Paul Place Baltimore Maryland 21202Voluntary non-profit - Church(410) 332-9237
- University of Maryland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.78 miles away22 South Greene Street Baltimore Maryland 21201Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 328-8667
- University of Md Medical Center Midtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 2.97 miles away827 Linden Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21201Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 225-8996
- Bon Secours HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.09 miles away2000 W Baltimore Street Baltimore Maryland 21223Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 362-3000
- Medstar Union Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.21 miles away201 East University Parkway Baltimore Maryland 21218Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 554-2227
- Fresenius Kidney Care Fleet Street0.79 miles away3700 Fleet Street Ste 102 Baltimore Maryland 21224Dialysis Stations: 28 (410) 276-1680
- Fresenius Kidney Care Wolfe Street Pediatrics1.53 miles away600 North Wolfe Street Baltimore Maryland 21287Dialysis Stations: 4 (410) 675-3020
- Fresenius Kidney Care Caroline Street1.79 miles away407 North Caroline Street Baltimore Maryland 21231CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 537-5830
- Kidney Home Center, LLC2.19 miles away200 Saint Paul St., Ste. 5 Baltimore Maryland 21202Dialysis Stations: 4 (410) 244-5638
- Davita Dialysis - Mercy2.33 miles away315 N Calvert St Ste 300 Baltimore Maryland 21202CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (410) 332-1122
- Fresenius Kidney Care Broadway Street2.67 miles away1900 North Broadway Street Baltimore Maryland 21213Dialysis Stations: 26 (410) 467-0540
- Downtown Dialysis Center2.97 miles away821 N Eutaw St Ste 401 Baltimore Maryland 21201CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (410) 383-3450
- Davita Dundalk Dialysis3.03 miles away14 Commerce St Dundalk Maryland 21222Dialysis Stations: 12 (410) 284-9000