With more than 25 nursing homes to choose from located in Saint Louis, Missouri, Friendship Village Sunset Hills is one of the multitude of nursing homes here. Sporting an overall score of A-, this is undoubtedly a very strong nursing home. Indeed, we were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it as one of the highest rated nursing homes in Saint Louis. This nursing home's strong report card was highlighted by its inspection score, which we will address in the next section.
Friendship Village Sunset Hills
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this place ended up being a great nursing home is it earned an A+ inspection grade. This is as good as it gets in this critical category. Arguably the most important factor we look at in computing our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better grades in this category typically avoided the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This facility received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This indicates that CMS didn't deem any of these deficiencies to pose an immediate threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was awarded a first-rate long-term care score. In fact, this ended up being this nursing home's second strongest category score. In that area, we gave this facility a score of A. When nursing homes receive a grade in this range in long-term care it generally means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. After considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination data. This facility vaccinated 98.13665 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents out of the hospital. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Friendship Village Sunset Hills?
Short-term Care Quality
We also would like to alert you to the fact that this nursing home was given a high-end score of A- in our short-term care area. Short-term care scores are critical for prospective residents looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually requires more highly-skilled nursing services. This means a wide range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last statistic we considered in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that 5.8 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Turning to the final area, this facility was awarded an acceptable nursing score. While this is not nearly as strong as several of its other grades, this is truly not a terrible score. Nursing grades are heavily correlated with quality and quantity of nursing care. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Lastly, while this facility got dinged a bit for nursing hours per resident, it actually excelled in a few of our quality measures. With less than five percent of its patients experiencing pressure ulcers, it did remarkably well in this statistic.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Friendship Village Sunset Hills Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Friendship Village Sunset Hills, 9.32% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Friendship Village Sunset Hills, 3.98% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care. Closer supervision can limit the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Friendship Village Sunset Hills, 3.42% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Friendship Village Sunset Hills, 20.31% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are sometimes used for treating a variety of medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Friendship Village Sunset Hills, 24.54% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally prescribed to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Friendship Village Sunset Hills, 4.11% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Higher levels of depression could indicate a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Friendship Village Sunset Hills, 88.89% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Friendship Village Sunset Hills, 14.76% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Friendship Village Sunset Hills, 15.81% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Friendship Village Sunset Hills, 1.64 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Friendship Village Sunset Hills, 15.81 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Friendship Village Sunset Hills, 11.79 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Friendship Village Sunset Hills, 72.5% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Saint Louis, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Saint Louis, Missouri has 47 other nursing homes
- Mercy Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 1.7 miles away10010 Kennerly Road Saint Louis Missouri 63128Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 525-1000
- Ssm Health St Clare Hospital - FentonAcute Care Hospitals 3.74 miles away1015 Bowles Fenton Missouri 63026Voluntary non-profit - Private(636) 496-2000
- St Luke's Des Peres HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.74 miles away2345 Dougherty Ferry Road Saint Louis Missouri 63122Proprietary(314) 966-9100
- Missouri Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.09 miles away3015 N Ballas Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63131Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-5000
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 9.3 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- St Alexius HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.51 miles away3933 S Broadway Saint Louis Missouri 63118Proprietary(314) 865-7000
- St Lukes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.53 miles away232 S Woods Mill Rd Chesterfield Missouri 63017Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 434-1500
- Barnes-Jewish West County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.18 miles away12634 Olive Boulevard Saint Louis Missouri 63141Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-8000
- Rtc-Lamplighter Dialysis1.88 miles away12654 Lamplighter Square Saint Louis Missouri 63128Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 729-7979
- Fmc - Tesson Ferry Dialysis2.6 miles away13134 Tesson Ferry Road Saint Louis Missouri 63128Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 843-7390
- Crestwood Dialysis2.77 miles away9560 Watson Road Suite A Saint Louis Missouri 63126Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 842-0322
- Fenton Dialysis Center3.46 miles away850 Horan Dr. Fenton Missouri 63026Dialysis Stations: 18 (636) 305-1144
- Bowles Avenue Dialysis3.73 miles away1011 Bowles Avenue Suite 210 Fenton Missouri 63026Dialysis Stations: 14 (636) 326-7130
- Home Dialysis South3.78 miles away5201 Mid America Plaza Suite 2200 Saint Louis Missouri 63129Dialysis Stations: 2 (314) 286-0770
- South Towne Square Dialysis Clinic3.8 miles away11107 South Towne Square Saint Louis Missouri 63123CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (314) 894-3400
- South County Dialysis Center3.96 miles away4145 Union Road Saint Louis Missouri 63129Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 894-1851