With more than 25 nursing homes to choose from located in Saint Louis, Missouri, Friendship Village Sunset Hills is one of the multitude of nursing homes here. Sporting an overall score of A-, this is undoubtedly a very strong nursing home. Indeed, we were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it as one of the highest rated nursing homes in Saint Louis. This nursing home's strong report card was highlighted by its inspection score, which we will address in the next section.
Friendship Village Sunset Hills
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
12509 Village Circle Drive,
Saint Louis MO 63127
90.13% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Top Nursing Home in Missouri Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this place ended up being a great nursing home is it earned an A+ inspection grade. This is as good as it gets in this critical category. Arguably the most important factor we look at in computing our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better grades in this category typically avoided the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This facility received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This indicates that CMS didn't deem any of these deficiencies to pose an immediate threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was awarded a first-rate short-term care score. In fact, this ended up being this nursing home's second strongest category score. In that area, we gave this facility a score of A-. In crafting our short-term care ratings, we analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our purpose is to formulate a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different facilities. We weren't able to locate registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents who ultimately returned home from this nursing home. We found that 6.6 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Friendship Village Sunset Hills?
Long-term Care Quality
We also would like to point out the fact that this nursing home was given a high-end score of A- in our long-term care area. When facilities receive a grade in this range in this category it generally means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. One of the datapoints we considered after nursing hours was vaccinations. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccination to 97.70115 percent of its residents. This is a proven method to avoid unnecessary hospitalizations for the elderly population. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
The last category we analyzed was nursing. This facility was awarded a favorable nursing grade this year, with a grade of B-. Even though this is not quite as elite as many of its other grades, this is still an acceptable rating in that area. We weighed the levels of nurses working for the facility, in addition to the quantity of time those nurses were with patients, in computing our score in this area. This place provides only 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is a somewhat alarming figure which is well below average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place surprisingly fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. In fact, it performed well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these areas to be indicators of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is every bit as important as the number of hours of care provided.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Friendship Village Sunset Hills Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Friendship Village Sunset Hills, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that suffered from pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a reliable barometer of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Friendship Village Sunset Hills, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who have experienced falls which caused major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Friendship Village Sunset Hills, 3.39% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Friendship Village Sunset Hills, 20.47% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used for treating several medical conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Friendship Village Sunset Hills, 24.32% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Friendship Village Sunset Hills, 4.19% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Friendship Village Sunset Hills, 88.53% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Friendship Village Sunset Hills, 14.79% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Friendship Village Sunset Hills, 14.68% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Friendship Village Sunset Hills, 1.7 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Friendship Village Sunset Hills, 14.68 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Friendship Village Sunset Hills, 11.55 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Friendship Village Sunset Hills, 72.81% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Saint Louis, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Saint Louis, Missouri has 47 other nursing homes
- Mercy Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 1.7 miles away10010 Kennerly Road Saint Louis Missouri 63128Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 525-1000
- Ssm Health St Clare Hospital - FentonAcute Care Hospitals 3.74 miles away1015 Bowles Fenton Missouri 63026Voluntary non-profit - Private(636) 496-2000
- St Luke's Des Peres HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.74 miles away2345 Dougherty Ferry Road Saint Louis Missouri 63122Proprietary(314) 966-9100
- Missouri Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.09 miles away3015 N Ballas Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63131Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-5000
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 9.3 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- St Alexius HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.51 miles away3933 S Broadway Saint Louis Missouri 63118Proprietary(314) 865-7000
- St Lukes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.53 miles away232 S Woods Mill Rd Chesterfield Missouri 63017Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 434-1500
- Barnes-Jewish West County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.18 miles away12634 Olive Boulevard Saint Louis Missouri 63141Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-8000
- Rtc-Lamplighter Dialysis1.88 miles away12654 Lamplighter Square Saint Louis Missouri 63128Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 729-7979
- Fmc - Tesson Ferry Dialysis2.6 miles away13134 Tesson Ferry Road Saint Louis Missouri 63128Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 843-7390
- Crestwood Dialysis2.77 miles away9560 Watson Road Suite A Saint Louis Missouri 63126Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 842-0322
- Fenton Dialysis Center3.46 miles away850 Horan Dr. Fenton Missouri 63026Dialysis Stations: 18 (636) 305-1144
- Bowles Avenue Dialysis3.73 miles away1011 Bowles Avenue Suite 210 Fenton Missouri 63026Dialysis Stations: 14 (636) 326-7130
- Home Dialysis South3.78 miles away5201 Mid America Plaza Suite 2200 Saint Louis Missouri 63129Dialysis Stations: 2 (314) 286-0770
- South Towne Square Dialysis Clinic3.8 miles away11107 South Towne Square Saint Louis Missouri 63123CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (314) 894-3400
- South County Dialysis Center3.96 miles away4145 Union Road Saint Louis Missouri 63129Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 894-1851