Friedwald Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing is a large nursing home located in New City, New York. This nursing home turns out to be a quality facility, with an overall grade of B. Based on our assessment, you can do much worse than this facility. The best aspect of this nursing home's strong profile was its inspection score. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Friedwald Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Adult Day Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on New City senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a strong overall score, this nursing home also received top notch health inspections in recent years. We gave it one of our higher grades in this area, with an A+. Arguably the most significant factor we consider in calculating our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places with higher grades in this category most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. This place received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that the government inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies to pose an immediate threat to resident safety or health. We should note that deficiency-free inspections are rare in the industry.
Long-term Care Quality
An additional quality feature for this nursing home is that it received an impressive long-term care grade. Indeed, this turned out to be its second best category score. In that category, we awarded this facility a grade of B+. When facilities receive this kind of grade in long-term care it is usually a good sign for resident care and suggests that the facility is well-staffed with nurses aids. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia is often a dangerous illness for nursing home patients so we like it when a nursing home doesn't roll the dice on this issue. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Friedwald Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home received its third best category grade in the category of short-term care. We awarded this facility a grade of B- in this area, which is an acceptable grade. With our short-term care assessment, we endeavor to create a meaningful gauge for rehabilitation. In this process, we analyze the facility's scope of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final datapoint we looked at in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 5.1 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is actually below average.
The final category we rated is nursing. Sadly, it received a lowly F in this category, which is a rock bottom grade. We would not necessarily disregard a nursing home because of a single bad grade though. There are several criteria included in this category. Many of these criteria are tied to the quantity of nurse staffing. With just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient each day, this place's nurse staffing levels were far below average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing ratings. This facility fared well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these data points to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Friedwald Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Friedwald Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 20.54% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Friedwald Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 1.25% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who sustained a fall resulting in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Friedwald Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 0.94% of Patients had UTIs
This figure measures the percentage of long-term residents which suffered from a UTI. UTI's could be an indication of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint can also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Friedwald Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 4.85% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is an indication of the percent of long-term patients that are prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such medications aren't medically required. However, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Friedwald Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 24.01% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Friedwald Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 6.94% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are showing signs of depression. Higher rates of depression could reveal worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Friedwald Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 99.67% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Friedwald Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 5.01% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Friedwald Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 4.7% of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Friedwald Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Friedwald Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 4.7% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Friedwald Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 7.76% of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Friedwald Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 94.74% of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements.
- Good Samaritan Hospital of SuffernAcute Care Hospitals 6.09 miles away255 Lafayette Avenue Suffern New York 10901Voluntary non-profit - Church(845) 368-5000
- Nyack HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.52 miles away160 North Midland Avenue Nyack New York 10960Voluntary non-profit - Other(845) 348-2000
- Phelps Memorial Hospital AssnAcute Care Hospitals 9.19 miles away701 North Broadway Tarrytown New York 10591Voluntary non-profit - Other(914) 366-3000
- Hackensack Meridian Health Pascack Valley MedicalAcute Care Hospitals 11.58 miles away250 Old Hook Road Westwood New Jersey 07675Proprietary(201) 383-1035
- Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.24 miles away223 N Van Dien Avenue Ridgewood New Jersey 07450Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 447-8000
- New York-Presbyterian/Hudson Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.26 miles away1980 Crompond Road Cortlandt Manor New York 10567Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 734-3611
- Westchester Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.34 miles away100 Woods Rd Valhalla New York 10595Government - Hospital District or Authority(914) 493-7000
- Bergen New Bridge Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.45 miles away230 East Ridgewood Ave Paramus New Jersey 07652Government - Local(201) 967-4000
- Friedwald Center for Dialysis0.01 miles away475 New Hempstead Road New City New York 10956Dialysis Stations: 9 (845) 678-2000
- Rockland County Dialysis3.51 miles away203 West Route 59 Nanuet New York 10954Dialysis Stations: 20 (845) 501-7590
- Freedom Center of Rockland County, LLC5.08 miles away131 Route 303 Valley Cottage New York 10989CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (845) 268-2777
- Freedom Center of Rockland County, LLC6.97 miles away30 Route 59 Suffern New York 10901CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (845) 357-0452
- Davita Hudson Valley Dialysis Center10.58 miles away155 White Plains Road Suite 107 Tarrytown New York 10591CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (914) 332-7599
- Davita Renal Center of Westwood11.7 miles away363 Old Hook Road Westwood New Jersey 07675Dialysis Stations: 18 (201) 664-6649
- Dialysis Clinic Inc, Bradhurst12.82 miles away19 Bradhurst Avenue Hawthorne New York 10532CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (914) 592-4366
- Davita Peekskill Cortlandt Dialysis Center12.82 miles away2050 East Main Street Suite 15 Cortlandt Manor New York 10567Dialysis Stations: 19 (914) 788-9326