Friedwald Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing is the lone nursing home we were able to find in New City, New York. This nursing home turns out to be a solid facility, with an overall grade of B-. Based on all of the relevant data, there are certainly far worse facilities out there. One of the best aspects of this facility's report card is its remarkable inspection score, which you can find in the next section.
Friedwald Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Adult Day Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
475 New Hempstead Road,
New City NY 10956
98.72% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was decent, it really fared well in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A+ for that category, which is one of our best scores. Inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This place received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered severe. This tells you that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies to be an imminent risk to patient safety or health. A few minor dings are not necessarily something to panic about.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's more impressive category grades came in the category of long-term care. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of B. Facilities that excel in long-term care typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to patients. Once we assessed the amount of nursing care, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia is often a life threatening ailment for nursing home patients so we strongly prefer when a nursing home does not take any chances. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Friedwald Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing?
Short-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a middle of the road grade in the category of short-term care, where it received a grade of C. In our short-term care assessment, we strive to create a valuable measure for rehabilitation. In doing so, we assess the facility's offerings of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final datapoint we considered in this category is the percentage of patients who who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. We found that just 5.1 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. This figure was below average.
The last category we looked at was nursing, which turned out to be this facility's worst area. Sadly, it received a lowly F in this area, which is obviously a major disappointment. Our nursing score analyzes the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We look at both the levels of licensure of the nurses as well as the amount of time spent with patients. With just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day, this place's nurse staffing levels were significantly below the national average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these metrics to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Friedwald Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Friedwald Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure indicates the percent of long-term patients who suffer from pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Friedwald Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients who experienced a fall which resulted in major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Friedwald Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely linked to worse hygiene protocols. Closer supervision can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Friedwald Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for a variety of medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Friedwald Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term residents who are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally used to treat patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Friedwald Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 13.2% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Friedwald Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 91.26% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Friedwald Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Friedwald Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Friedwald Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Friedwald Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Friedwald Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Friedwald Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements.
- Good Samaritan Hospital of SuffernAcute Care Hospitals 6.09 miles away255 Lafayette Avenue Suffern New York 10901Voluntary non-profit - Church(845) 368-5000
- Nyack HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.52 miles away160 North Midland Avenue Nyack New York 10960Voluntary non-profit - Other(845) 348-2000
- Phelps Memorial Hospital AssnAcute Care Hospitals 9.19 miles away701 North Broadway Tarrytown New York 10591Voluntary non-profit - Other(914) 366-3000
- Hackensack Meridian Health Pascack Valley MedicalAcute Care Hospitals 11.58 miles away250 Old Hook Road Westwood New Jersey 07675Proprietary(201) 383-1035
- Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.24 miles away223 N Van Dien Avenue Ridgewood New Jersey 07450Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 447-8000
- New York-Presbyterian/Hudson Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.26 miles away1980 Crompond Road Cortlandt Manor New York 10567Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 734-3611
- Westchester Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.34 miles away100 Woods Rd Valhalla New York 10595Government - Hospital District or Authority(914) 493-7000
- Bergen New Bridge Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.45 miles away230 East Ridgewood Ave Paramus New Jersey 07652Government - Local(201) 967-4000
- Friedwald Center for Dialysis0.01 miles away475 New Hempstead Road New City New York 10956Dialysis Stations: 9 (845) 678-2000
- Rockland County Dialysis3.51 miles away203 West Route 59 Nanuet New York 10954Dialysis Stations: 20 (845) 501-7590
- Freedom Center of Rockland County, LLC5.08 miles away131 Route 303 Valley Cottage New York 10989CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (845) 268-2777
- Freedom Center of Rockland County, LLC6.97 miles away30 Route 59 Suffern New York 10901CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (845) 357-0452
- Davita Hudson Valley Dialysis Center10.58 miles away155 White Plains Road Suite 107 Tarrytown New York 10591CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (914) 332-7599
- Davita Renal Center of Westwood11.7 miles away363 Old Hook Road Westwood New Jersey 07675Dialysis Stations: 18 (201) 664-6649
- Dialysis Clinic Inc, Bradhurst12.82 miles away19 Bradhurst Avenue Hawthorne New York 10532CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (914) 592-4366
- Davita Peekskill Cortlandt Dialysis Center12.82 miles away2050 East Main Street Suite 15 Cortlandt Manor New York 10567Dialysis Stations: 19 (914) 788-9326