Fredericka Manor Care Center is located in Chula Vista, California, a city with a population of 239,879 people. We gave it an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the road grade. Based on all of the relevant data, there are definitely much worse nursing homes out there. Finally, we wanted to make sure you are aware that there was an ownership change at this facility in the last 12 months. We will follow their performance over the next year to determine whether any adjustments to their grades are necessary.
Fredericka Manor Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Please note our records indicate that Fredericka Manor Care Center has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home really excelled in the area of short-term care, with an A- in this category. This really boosted its overall grade. Short-term care grades are based in part on a nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This means a broad spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, not to mention other forms of therapy. It doesn't look like this facility submitted information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. Finally, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.3 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
This facility also excelled in nursing, where it earned an B+. Few places performed better in this category. Nursing ratings are largely tied to a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as having a protocol of moving patients more often.
Does this page answer your questions about Fredericka Manor Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
In addition, we also would like to point out that this nursing home was given favorable long-term care marks in this assessment. We gave them one of our higher scores in this area, with a grade of B. Long-term care scores of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. After considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
The final category we assessed is inspections. This nursing home did not receive favorable government inspections in recent years. In fact, we gave it an F in this category. This pulled down this nursing home's overall score quite a bit. You should pay close attention to any deficiencies on a facility's inspection reports when it receives this bad of an inspection score. We suggest you scrutinize the level of severity of the deficiencies. This facility had 5 deficiencies by CMS. The only favorable thing we found is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they caused a risk to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility also received 5 substantiated complaints in recent years. This is yet another bad sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Fredericka Manor Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Fredericka Manor Care Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Fredericka Manor Care Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are often caused by poor nursing care. Better nursing care can reduce the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Fredericka Manor Care Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely associated with lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint may be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Fredericka Manor Care Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Fredericka Manor Care Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients which are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally prescribed to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Fredericka Manor Care Center, 4.64% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Fredericka Manor Care Center, 95.44% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Fredericka Manor Care Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Fredericka Manor Care Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients that retained mobility levels. Some experts would argue that the ability to move around is important for residents' mental and physical well-being.
In Fredericka Manor Care Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Fredericka Manor Care Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Fredericka Manor Care Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Fredericka Manor Care Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Chula Vista, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Chula Vista, California has 3 other nursing homes
- Paradise Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.65 miles away2400 East 4th St National City California 91950Proprietary(619) 470-4321
- Sharp Chula Vista Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.01 miles away751 Medical Center Court Chula Vista California 91911Proprietary(619) 502-5800
- Sharp Coronado Hospital and Hlthcr CtrAcute Care Hospitals 5.98 miles away250 Prospect Place Coronado California 92118Proprietary(619) 435-6251
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 6.56 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.57 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Uc San Diego Health Hillcrest - Hillcrest Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 8.87 miles away200 West Arbor Drive San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Other(619) 543-6222
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.01 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Grossmont HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.94 miles away5555 Grossmont Center Drive Box 58 La Mesa California 91942Government - Hospital District or Authority(619) 465-0711
- Fmc-Balboa South Bay Home Therapies0.63 miles away340 4th Avenue, Suite 18 Chula Vista California 91910Dialysis Stations: 5 (619) 420-1798
- Fmc-National City Dialysis Center1.51 miles away303 W. 26th Street National City California 91950CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (619) 474-8151
- Fmc-Balboa Marina Bay1.77 miles away630 Bay Blvd., Suite 101 Chula Vista California 91910CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (619) 420-6725
- u.s. Renal Care Chula Vista Broadway Dialysis2.8 miles away1181 Broadway, Suite 5 Chula Vista California 91911CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (619) 585-0016
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Paradise3.54 miles away6919 Paradise Valley Road San Diego California 92139CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 475-2872
- Fmc-Chula Vista Dialysis Center-South3.69 miles away2252 Verus Street, Suite D San Diego California 92154CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (619) 429-9201
- Davita-San Diego East4.11 miles away292 Euclid Avenue, Suite 100 San Diego California 92114CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (619) 262-7225
- Fmc-Raven4.58 miles away499 Raven Street San Diego California 92102Dialysis Stations: 31 (619) 263-1518