Foster Health & Rehabilitation Center turns out to be one of 39 facilities located in Chicago, Illinois. This city has more options to choose from than most areas in the country. Our rating system was not favorable to this facility, as it received an overall rating of F. Based on our analysis, this facility likely isn't a good fit for anyone. More information on this facility's category grades may be found below. Its best category was short-term care, which is discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Foster Health & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Chicago senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Although we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a decent short-term care score this year. We gave it a B- in that category. Our short-term care grades are thought to be most critical for patients in need of a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not merely nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other types of therapy. We found that this place was below average in the two key staffing areas we assessed. The facility offered fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. The final item we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients that ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
This facility really excelled in nursing, where it received an B-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Our nursing score is largely associated with a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Lastly, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this facility actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is usually an indicator that a place has sufficient quality controls in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Foster Health & Rehabilitation Center?
This nursing home received a grade of just D in the area of inspections. Inspection scores weigh several factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. This particular nursing home had 3 deficiencies by CMS. The only positive thing we found is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that suggest that they created a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, we want to point out that this nursing home was assessed significant government fines in recent years amounting to over $100,000. This usually means that a bad track record has been an issue for multiple years.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to our last area, this facility didn't fare well in this category either. With a poor grade of F in long-term care, this is about as as uninspiring as it gets. Long-term care ratings in this range generally are a bad sign for the quantity and quality of care provided by nurses and aids. After considering the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination records. Frankly, we were a bit concerned this facility vaccinated 74.81481 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is significantly below what we were hoping for. Surprisingly, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home has fewer hospitalizations than many nursing homes. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Foster Health & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Foster Health & Rehabilitation Center, 8.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Foster Health & Rehabilitation Center, 3.56% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care. Closer supervision minimizes the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Foster Health & Rehabilitation Center, 2.49% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely the result of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this datapoint may also be misleading for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Foster Health & Rehabilitation Center, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Foster Health & Rehabilitation Center, 19.21% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Foster Health & Rehabilitation Center, 31.81% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Foster Health & Rehabilitation Center, 87.05% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Foster Health & Rehabilitation Center, 13.3% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the erosion of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Foster Health & Rehabilitation Center, 14.44% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term care patients who retained mobility levels.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Foster Health & Rehabilitation Center, 14.44 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Scores for Chicago, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Chicago, Illinois has 38 other nursing homes
- Swedish Covenant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.1 miles away5145 N California Ave Chicago Illinois 60625Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 878-8200
- Methodist Hospital of ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 1.53 miles away5025 N Paulina Street Chicago Illinois 60640Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 271-9040
- Aurora Chicago Lakeshore HospitalPsychiatric 2.62 miles away4840 N Marine Dr Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-9700
- Louis a Weiss Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.73 miles away4646 N Marine Drive Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-8700
- Thorek Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.94 miles away850 W Irving Park Rd Chicago Illinois 60613Voluntary non-profit - Private(312) 525-6780
- Presence Saint Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.43 miles away355 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60202Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 316-4000
- Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.71 miles away836 West Wellington Avenue Chicago Illinois 60657Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 975-1600
- Community First Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.05 miles away5645 W Addison Street Chicago Illinois 60634Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 282-7000
- Davita Irving Park Dialysis1.78 miles away4323 N Pulaski Road Chicago Illinois 60641Dialysis Stations: 12 (773) 279-8714
- Nephron Dialysis Center, Ltd.1.81 miles away5140 N. California Ave. Suite 510 Chicago Illinois 60625Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 293-2100
- Fmc - Northcenter Dialysis2.04 miles away2620 W. Addison St. Chicago Illinois 60618CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 248-0462
- Fmc - Na Lakeview Dialysis2.39 miles away4008 North Broadway Ave., Suite 1200 Chicago Illinois 60613Dialysis Stations: 14 (773) 248-3105
- Fmc - Uptown2.67 miles away4700 N. Marine Drive, Suite 204 Chicago Illinois 60640CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (773) 989-8082
- Davita - Logan Square Dialysis Svcs Inc3.05 miles away2838 N Kimball Ave Chicago Illinois 60618CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (773) 342-3738
- Fmc - Rogers Park3.09 miles away2277 W Howard St Chicago Illinois 60645CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (773) 262-7147
- Fmc - Logan Square3.18 miles away2721 N Spaulding Chicago Illinois 60647Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 292-2971