Foster Health & Rehabilitation Center turns out to be one of 81 facilities located in Chicago, Illinois. This city has more options to choose from than most areas in the country. Sporting an overall rating of D, this is a well below average facility. Based on our analysis, this place may not be the best fit for most people. More information on this nursing home's category grades may be found below. Its best category was inspections, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Foster Health & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not have many favorable things to say about this facility's overall score, it earned a respectable government inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent grade in that category with a B-. Our inspection scores are based on several items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key item to look for on these reports. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to the well being of residents. While this facility had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. A couple minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second best category is short-term care. We gave it a grade of B- in this category. This is essentially a middle of the road score in this area. Our short-term care grades are based on the nursing home's quantity of skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This means a wide spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, not to mention other variations of therapy. In this facility's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the typical facility. The final datapoint we considered in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Foster Health & Rehabilitation Center?
We awarded this facility a respectable grade in the area of nursing as well, with a grade of C. Nursing grades are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages just 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures. Although this facility got dinged a bit for its nursing hours, it actually excelled in some of these quality-based measures. With fewer than five percent of its residents suffering from pressure ulcers, it did well in this metric. This is typically a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as having a policy of moving a patient even once per day.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we analyzed was long-term care, where this facility received an abysmal grade in this area also. It received an F for this area, which is definitely somewhat alarming. Nursing homes that receive this kind of score in long-term care may not provide the kind of consistent around the clock care that some other nursing homes offer. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination statistics. Unfortunately, this facility vaccinated a relatively low 87.14286 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Surprisingly, this facility was actually decent at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This was its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Foster Health & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Foster Health & Rehabilitation Center, 8.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Foster Health & Rehabilitation Center, 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric tells you the percent of long-term residents who had a fall resulting in serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Foster Health & Rehabilitation Center, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Foster Health & Rehabilitation Center, 18.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are given to patients for a variety of conditions, including cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in some situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Foster Health & Rehabilitation Center, 19.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Foster Health & Rehabilitation Center, 30.45% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents exhibiting symptoms of depression. Some argue that this is a reliable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Foster Health & Rehabilitation Center, 87.4% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Foster Health & Rehabilitation Center, 13.9% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Foster Health & Rehabilitation Center, 17.56% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who maintained mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Foster Health & Rehabilitation Center, 17.56 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Chicago, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Chicago, Illinois has 80 other nursing homes
- Swedish Covenant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.1 miles away5145 N California Ave Chicago Illinois 60625Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 878-8200
- Methodist Hospital of ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 1.53 miles away5025 N Paulina Street Chicago Illinois 60640Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 271-9040
- Aurora Chicago Lakeshore HospitalPsychiatric 2.62 miles away4840 N Marine Dr Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-9700
- Louis a Weiss Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.73 miles away4646 N Marine Drive Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-8700
- Thorek Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.94 miles away850 W Irving Park Rd Chicago Illinois 60613Voluntary non-profit - Private(312) 525-6780
- Presence Saint Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.43 miles away355 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60202Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 316-4000
- Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.71 miles away836 West Wellington Avenue Chicago Illinois 60657Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 975-1600
- Community First Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.05 miles away5645 W Addison Street Chicago Illinois 60634Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 282-7000
- Davita Irving Park Dialysis1.78 miles away4323 N Pulaski Road Chicago Illinois 60641Dialysis Stations: 12 (773) 279-8714
- Nephron Dialysis Center, Ltd.1.81 miles away5140 N. California Ave. Suite 510 Chicago Illinois 60625Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 293-2100
- Fmc - Northcenter Dialysis2.04 miles away2620 W. Addison St. Chicago Illinois 60618CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 248-0462
- Fmc - Na Lakeview Dialysis2.39 miles away4008 North Broadway Ave., Suite 1200 Chicago Illinois 60613Dialysis Stations: 14 (773) 248-3105
- Fmc - Uptown2.67 miles away4700 N. Marine Drive, Suite 204 Chicago Illinois 60640CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (773) 989-8082
- Davita - Logan Square Dialysis Svcs Inc3.05 miles away2838 N Kimball Ave Chicago Illinois 60618CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (773) 342-3738
- Fmc - Rogers Park3.09 miles away2277 W Howard St Chicago Illinois 60645CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (773) 262-7147
- Fmc - Logan Square3.18 miles away2721 N Spaulding Chicago Illinois 60647Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 292-2971