Flannery Oaks Guest House is a large facility in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. We awarded it an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the road score. You could certainly do worse than this place. One of the better aspects of this facility's report card is its impressive inspection reports, which is addressed in the next section.
Flannery Oaks Guest House
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was not bad, it really excelled in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category, which is one of our best scores. Our inspection scores are based on several items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that score well in this area typically have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Unfortunately, it does not look like we have deficiency data for this nursing home. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is always a good sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was awarded a strong long-term care score. As a matter of fact, we gave it a B+ in that category, which happens to be one of our more favorable scores. When nursing homes receive this type of grade in long-term care it is typically a good sign for resident care and suggests that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses and aids. One of the statistics we considered after nurse's aid hours was vaccinations. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccination is a reliable method to avoid unnecessary deaths for the aged 65 and up population. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Flannery Oaks Guest House?
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we assessed is short-term care, in which this facility received an F. With our short-term care score, we try to create a valuable barometer for rehabilitation services. In this process, we assess a facility's scope of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. As you might expect, we discovered that this nursing home offers far less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than the typical facility. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 4.6 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
This nursing home's least impressive category is nursing, which is the final area we assessed. We gave it an abysmal F in this area. In spite of multiple decent grades in other categories, this grade is nevertheless concerning so we wanted to point it out. The nursing rating weighs a host of subcategories. The most heavily weighted one is the quantity of hours nurses spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing ratings. This nursing home fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Flannery Oaks Guest House Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Flannery Oaks Guest House, 9.89% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Flannery Oaks Guest House, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who have had a fall which resulted in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Flannery Oaks Guest House, 2.76% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients who had UTI's. UTI's may be an indication of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric may be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Flannery Oaks Guest House, 15.79% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for many medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Flannery Oaks Guest House, 22.51% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure tells you the percent of long-term patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Flannery Oaks Guest House, 1.54% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients showing depressive symptoms. Many believe this is a measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Flannery Oaks Guest House, 89.03% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Flannery Oaks Guest House, 17.58% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Flannery Oaks Guest House, 16.37% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term patients who remained mobile levels.
In Flannery Oaks Guest House, 1.85 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Flannery Oaks Guest House, 16.37 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Flannery Oaks Guest House, 12.9 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Flannery Oaks Guest House, 63.81% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with activities of daily living usually correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
Scores for Baton Rouge, LA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Baton Rouge, Louisiana has 21 other nursing homes
- Ochsner Medical Center - Baton RougeAcute Care Hospitals 2.62 miles away17000 Medical Center Dr Baton Rouge Louisiana 70816Voluntary non-profit - Private(225) 752-2470
- Womans HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.9 miles away100 Woman's Way Baton Rouge Louisiana 70817Voluntary non-profit - Private(225) 927-1300
- Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.4 miles away5000 Hennessy Blvd Baton Rouge Louisiana 70808Voluntary non-profit - Church(225) 765-6565
- Baton Rouge General Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.25 miles away3600 Florida Blvd Baton Rouge Louisiana 70806Voluntary non-profit - Private(225) 387-7767
- Lane Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.96 miles away6300 Main Street Zachary Louisiana 70791Government - Hospital District or Authority(225) 658-4000
- St James Behavioral Health Hospital, IncPsychiatric 18.54 miles away3136 South St Landry Road Gonzales Louisiana 70737Voluntary non-profit - Private(225) 647-7524
- Fkc - O'neal Lane1.86 miles away1280 O'neal Lane Baton Rouge Louisiana 70816Dialysis Stations: 17 (225) 272-2212
- Davita - East Baton Rouge1.93 miles away1333 Oneal Ln Baton Rouge Louisiana 70816Dialysis Stations: 16 (225) 226-1444
- Fmcna - Baton Rouge4.04 miles away524 Colonial Dr Baton Rouge Louisiana 70806Dialysis Stations: 20 (225) 927-3311
- Fmcna - Dialysis Services of Bon Carre4.61 miles away7656 Realtors Ave Baton Rouge Louisiana 70806Dialysis Stations: 20 (225) 216-0388
- Fmcna - Denham Springs4.98 miles away137 Veterans Blvd Denham Springs Louisiana 70726Dialysis Stations: 19 (225) 665-2796
- Fmcna - Mancuso6.06 miles away4848 Mancuso Ln, Ste A Baton Rouge Louisiana 70809Dialysis Stations: 21 (225) 766-6773
- Fmcna - Airline6.21 miles away5948 Airline Hwy Baton Rouge Louisiana 70805CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (225) 357-9055
- Fmcna - Foster Dr Dialysis Svcs6.28 miles away1919 N Foster Dr Baton Rouge Louisiana 70806CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (225) 354-1611