Flagship Healthcare Center is a facility in Newport Beach, California, which has 62,946 people. This facility received a concerning overall grade of D based on the data we looked at. If you are not satisfied with this facility's low overall grade, you may find you have slim pickings in Newport Beach. The city has just two other nursing homes. If you aren't deterred by this place's profile, feel free to continue reading to learn more about its category grades. Nursing grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Flagship Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
466 Flagship Road,
Newport Beach CA 92663
66.82% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
Although we were not high on this facility overall, we awarded it a B for our nursing rating. In computing our nursing ratings, we assess both nursing hours and the skill levels of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility California in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a system of moving a patient even once per day.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's more impressive category scores was in the category of long-term care. In that category, we awarded this facility a grade of B. It actually outperformed most nursing homes in this area. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it typically means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. After considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is higher than the average nursing home. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Flagship Healthcare Center?
We were also surprised to award this facility a favorable government inspection score as well. We gave it a B- in this area. Inspection scores are tied to many items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key thing to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to resident safety. This nursing home was hit with 8 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This means that the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies to be an imminent threat to resident health or safety. A few minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we rated is short-term care. Unfortunately, we gave it an F in this area, which is a poor score. In determining our short-term care grades, we look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our objective is to devise a scale for comparing the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. With a score of this caliber for this area, we were not surprised to discover that this facility was below average in many staffing figures we focus on. It provided significantly fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most nursing homes. Lastly, we considered the number of patients who ultimately were able to return home from this facility. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.1 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Flagship Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are often the result of poor nursing care. Additional nurse staffing reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely associated with facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Better nursing care reduces the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this statistic is affected by by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications are used to treat a variety of medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly given to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 4.64% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term residents demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 95.44% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and eating. Many believe that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who were able to retain mobility. Many in the industry would argue that the ability to move around is vital to residents' health.
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts argue that this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
- Memorialcare Orange Coast Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.34 miles away9920 Talbert Avenue Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 378-7406
- Fountain Valley Regional Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.05 miles away17100 Euclid Street Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 966-7200
- South Coast Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.16 miles away2701 S Bristol St Santa Ana California 92704Proprietary(714) 754-5454
- Huntington Beach HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.34 miles away17772 Beach Blvd Huntington Beach California 92647Proprietary(714) 843-5000
- Orange County Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.11 miles away1001 North Tustin Avenue Santa Ana California 92705Proprietary(714) 953-3610
- Garden Grove Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.12 miles away12601 Garden Grove Blvd Garden Grove California 92843Proprietary(714) 537-5160
- University of California Irvine Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.63 miles away101 City Drive South Orange California 92868Government - Local(714) 456-6112
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.16 miles away1100 West Stewart Dr Orange California 92868Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 633-9111
- Fmc-Newport Superior Dialysis Center0.2 miles away510 Superior Avenue, Suite 150 Newport Beach California 92663CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (949) 574-4733
- Fmc-Newport Beach Dialysis1.06 miles away3333 W. Coast Highway, Suite 101 Newport Beach California 92663Dialysis Stations: 16 (949) 631-0107
- Davita-Newport Irvine Dialysis3.25 miles away4300 Von Karman Newport Beach California 92660Dialysis Stations: 17 (949) 863-1382
- Fmc-Newport Mesa Dialysis Services4.19 miles away1175 Baker Street, Suite B Costa Mesa California 92626CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (714) 641-5808
- Davita-Costa Mesa Dialysis4.91 miles away1590 Scenic Avenue Costa Mesa California 92626CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 540-9401
- Davita-Fountain Valley Dialysis5.19 miles away17150 Euclid Street, Suite 111 Fountain Valley California 92708CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (714) 966-1595
- Fmc-Rai-Newhope-Fountain Valley5.8 miles away17197 Newhope Street, Suite a, B, C & D Fountain Valley California 92708CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 241-0196
- Fmc-Rai-Fountain Valley Home5.89 miles away17197 Newhope Street, Suite E Fountain Valley California 92708Dialysis Stations: 3 (714) 435-0281