Flagship Healthcare Center is a facility in Newport Beach, California, which has 62,946 people. This proved to be a respectable facility, with an overall grade of C. This place seems to have a few things going for it. This facility is better in some categories than others, but it didn't have any bad scores in any of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Flagship Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's long-term care score appears to be its best feature. The nursing home earned a B- in this area. Our long-term care grade is commonly used to assess a nursing home's performance as a traditional convalescent home, as opposed to focusing more on the skilled nursing services offered by a skilled nursing facility. After considering the volume of nursing care, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination data. We were optimistic to find that this nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. This place keeps its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
We also awarded this nursing home a B- for our inspections rating. This is better than its overall grade. Inspection grades are based on many pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important item to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to the well being of residents. While this facility had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple of minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
Does this page answer your questions about Flagship Healthcare Center?
This facility's next best category grade came in the area of nursing. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. There are a variety of factors included in this area. Most of the datapoints are tied to the quantity and quality of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Lastly, although this place got docked a bit for nursing hours, it excelled in some of our quality-based metrics. With fewer than five percent of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, it fared remarkably well in this statistic.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we graded was short-term care. We awarded it a C in that area. This is not a bad grade in this area. In the category of short-term care, we try to assess indicators of a facility's rehabilitation. We analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. We were surprised to find that this place was below average in the two key staffing areas we assessed. It provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. The last item we considered in this area is the percentage of patients that ultimately returned home from the facility. We found that just 5.4 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. This figure was below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Flagship Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls which result in injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who sustained a UTI. Although a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it can be problematic to compare different facilities due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for a variety of conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 4.33% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 95.72% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who remained mobile levels. Many argue that mobility is important for patients physical and mental well-being.
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is key to preserving the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's usually correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
- Memorialcare Orange Coast Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.34 miles away9920 Talbert Avenue Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 378-7406
- Fountain Valley Regional Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.05 miles away17100 Euclid Street Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 966-7200
- South Coast Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.16 miles away2701 S Bristol St Santa Ana California 92704Proprietary(714) 754-5454
- Huntington Beach HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.34 miles away17772 Beach Blvd Huntington Beach California 92647Proprietary(714) 843-5000
- Orange County Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.11 miles away1001 North Tustin Avenue Santa Ana California 92705Proprietary(714) 953-3610
- Garden Grove Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.12 miles away12601 Garden Grove Blvd Garden Grove California 92843Proprietary(714) 537-5160
- University of California Irvine Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.63 miles away101 City Drive South Orange California 92868Government - Local(714) 456-6112
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.16 miles away1100 West Stewart Dr Orange California 92868Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 633-9111
- Fmc-Newport Superior Dialysis Center0.2 miles away510 Superior Avenue, Suite 150 Newport Beach California 92663CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (949) 574-4733
- Fmc-Newport Beach Dialysis1.06 miles away3333 W. Coast Highway, Suite 101 Newport Beach California 92663Dialysis Stations: 16 (949) 631-0107
- Davita-Newport Irvine Dialysis3.25 miles away4300 Von Karman Newport Beach California 92660Dialysis Stations: 17 (949) 863-1382
- Fmc-Newport Mesa Dialysis Services4.19 miles away1175 Baker Street, Suite B Costa Mesa California 92626CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (714) 641-5808
- Davita-Costa Mesa Dialysis4.91 miles away1590 Scenic Avenue Costa Mesa California 92626CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 540-9401
- Davita-Fountain Valley Dialysis5.19 miles away17150 Euclid Street, Suite 111 Fountain Valley California 92708CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (714) 966-1595
- Fmc-Rai-Newhope-Fountain Valley5.8 miles away17197 Newhope Street, Suite a, B, C & D Fountain Valley California 92708CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 241-0196
- Fmc-Rai-Fountain Valley Home5.89 miles away17197 Newhope Street, Suite E Fountain Valley California 92708Dialysis Stations: 3 (714) 435-0281