Flagship Healthcare Center is a facility in Newport Beach, California, which has 62,946 people. This proved to be a respectable facility, with an overall grade of C. This place seems to have a few things going for it. This facility is better in some categories than others, but it didn't have any bad scores in any of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Flagship Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Newport Beach senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to having a decent overall score, we also wanted to point out that this facility earned favorable health inspections in recent years. We gave them one of our better scores in that category, with a B. This is a notably better score than the nursing home's overall grade. Inspection grades are tied to many pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that excel in this area tend to have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This facility was assessed 8 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be major deficiencies. This indicates that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies to pose an immediate threat to patient health or safety. A few minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
This facility's second best category was its nursing grade, where it received a grade of B-. Our nursing rating is primarily tied to a facility's nurse staffing. This place provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is a much lower figure than we were hoping for. Lastly, our nursing ratings also factor in quality-based measures, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this place performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is typically a reliable indicator that a nursing home has quality controls in place. Many falls can be avoided if a facility supplies enough nurses aids to assist its patients.
Does this page answer your questions about Flagship Healthcare Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The third highest category we awarded this nursing home in any category came in the area of short-term care, where we awarded it a grade of C. Our short-term care grades are based on the nursing home's quantity of skilled nursing services. This means a broad scope of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, not to mention other variations of therapy. We were surprised to find that this nursing home was below average in the two key staffing areas we focus on. It supplied fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. It is still important to determine whether this also correlates to a lower quality of care. The final measure we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that just 4.6 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is below average.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our last area, this facility was awarded a C for long-term care, which is generally an acceptable rating. Long-term care grades are generally used to gauge a facility's performance as a traditional nursing home, as opposed to focusing more on the skilled nursing services offered by a skilled nursing facility. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 99.06542 percent of its patients, which is more than the majority of nursing homes. Finally, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Flagship Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 5.71% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term residents which have pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a reliable indicator of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 0.31% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Major falls resulting in injury are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 2.78% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications are used to treat a variety of medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 18.01% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly given to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 3.09% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term residents demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 99.53% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 6.55% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and eating. Many believe that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 11.46% of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who were able to retain mobility. Many in the industry would argue that the ability to move around is vital to residents' health.
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 11.46% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 14.01% of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Flagship Healthcare Center, 87.47% of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts argue that this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
- Memorialcare Orange Coast Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.34 miles away9920 Talbert Avenue Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 378-7406
- Fountain Valley Regional Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.05 miles away17100 Euclid Street Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 966-7200
- South Coast Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.16 miles away2701 S Bristol St Santa Ana California 92704Proprietary(714) 754-5454
- Huntington Beach HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.34 miles away17772 Beach Blvd Huntington Beach California 92647Proprietary(714) 843-5000
- Orange County Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.11 miles away1001 North Tustin Avenue Santa Ana California 92705Proprietary(714) 953-3610
- Garden Grove Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.12 miles away12601 Garden Grove Blvd Garden Grove California 92843Proprietary(714) 537-5160
- University of California Irvine Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.63 miles away101 City Drive South Orange California 92868Government - Local(714) 456-6112
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.16 miles away1100 West Stewart Dr Orange California 92868Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 633-9111
- Fmc-Newport Superior Dialysis Center0.2 miles away510 Superior Avenue, Suite 150 Newport Beach California 92663CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (949) 574-4733
- Fmc-Newport Beach Dialysis1.06 miles away3333 W. Coast Highway, Suite 101 Newport Beach California 92663Dialysis Stations: 16 (949) 631-0107
- Davita-Newport Irvine Dialysis3.25 miles away4300 Von Karman Newport Beach California 92660Dialysis Stations: 17 (949) 863-1382
- Fmc-Newport Mesa Dialysis Services4.19 miles away1175 Baker Street, Suite B Costa Mesa California 92626CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (714) 641-5808
- Davita-Costa Mesa Dialysis4.91 miles away1590 Scenic Avenue Costa Mesa California 92626CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 540-9401
- Davita-Fountain Valley Dialysis5.19 miles away17150 Euclid Street, Suite 111 Fountain Valley California 92708CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (714) 966-1595
- Fmc-Rai-Newhope-Fountain Valley5.8 miles away17197 Newhope Street, Suite a, B, C & D Fountain Valley California 92708CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 241-0196
- Fmc-Rai-Fountain Valley Home5.89 miles away17197 Newhope Street, Suite E Fountain Valley California 92708Dialysis Stations: 3 (714) 435-0281