Ferncrest Manor Living Center is a large facility located in New Orleans, Louisiana. We gave this facility a bottom of the barrel overall score based on the data we looked at. If you are not happy with this facility's subpar overall grade, you will be pleased to know there are seven other nursing homes in New Orleans. We were surprisingly able to give this facility some positive feedback for our inspections category, which you can read more about below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Ferncrest Manor Living Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on New Orleans senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this nursing home incredibly poorly overall, it actually earned a very impressive government inspection report this year. As a result, it earned one of our better scores in that category with a grade of B. Inspection ratings are based on datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key thing to look for on these inspections. Most importantly, you should avoid facilities that have severe deficiencies associated with endangerment of patients. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. A few minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
We awarded this facility a grade of just D for our long-term care rating and that actually turned out to be its next most respectable category. Long-term care ratings of this caliber generally are a bad sign for the quantity and quality of care provided by nurses and aids. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 63.488373 percent of its residents. This is pretty significantly lower than the national average. To our surprise, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.04 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home has fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. This is its best score in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about Ferncrest Manor Living Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we looked at is short-term care. This facility's received an abysmal short-term care grade where it received an F. Short-term care ratings are based on the nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a wide scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, in addition to other types of therapy. Given its grade in this category, we weren't stunned to discover that this nursing home is well below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the data we assessed. Frankly, this was what we expected here. The last datapoint we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients that ultimately were able to return home from the facility. This facility struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 0 percent of its residents returning home. Unfortunately, this was quite a bit below the national average.
The next category we looked at is nursing. This facility was given an abysmal grade of F in this area. Our nursing rating analyzes the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We factor in both the levels of licensure of the nurses as well as the amount of time spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing ratings. This place fared well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Ferncrest Manor Living Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Ferncrest Manor Living Center, 10% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Ferncrest Manor Living Center, 3.48% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term care patients who had a fall resulting in major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Ferncrest Manor Living Center, 2.69% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Ferncrest Manor Living Center, 16.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents which are given antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such drugs are not medically required. However, some facilities may need to rely more on these medications due to having more residents suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Ferncrest Manor Living Center, 22.29% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are used to treat residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Ferncrest Manor Living Center, 1.51% of Patients
This is the percent of residents exhibiting symptoms of depression. Increased levels of depression could be a sign a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Ferncrest Manor Living Center, 85.51% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Ferncrest Manor Living Center, 19.03% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and continence.
In Ferncrest Manor Living Center, 2.4 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Ferncrest Manor Living Center, 13.45 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Scores for New Orleans, LA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? New Orleans, Louisiana has 7 other nursing homes
- New Orleans East HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.12 miles away5620 Read Blvd New Orleans Louisiana 70127Government - Hospital District or Authority(504) 592-6600
- St Bernard Parish HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.24 miles away8000 West Judge Perez Drive Chalmette Louisiana 70043Government - Hospital District or Authority(504) 826-9500
- University Medical Center New OrleansAcute Care Hospitals 11.06 miles away2000 Canal Street New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 903-3000
- Tulane Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.14 miles away1415 Tulane Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 988-5263
- Touro InfirmaryAcute Care Hospitals 13.36 miles away1401 Foucher Street New Orleans Louisiana 70115Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 897-8247
- Ochsner Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.08 miles away1516 Jefferson Hwy New Orleans Louisiana 70121Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 842-3000
- East Jefferson General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.6 miles away4200 Houma Blvd Metairie Louisiana 70006Government - Hospital District or Authority(504) 454-4000
- Childrens HospitalChildrens 15.19 miles away200 Henry Clay Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70118Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 899-9511
- Fmcna - New Orleans East- Ferncrest0.04 miles away14500 Hayne Blvd Ste 100 New Orleans Louisiana 70128Dialysis Stations: 13 (504) 248-7136
- Davita - Fleur De Lis2.31 miles away5555 Bullard Ave, Ste 110 New Orleans Louisiana 70128CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (504) 240-2696
- Fmcna - Lake Forest2.38 miles away10545 Lake Forest Blvd New Orleans Louisiana 70127Dialysis Stations: 15 (504) 248-4910
- Davita - Nola3.08 miles away5646 Read Blvd, Ste 150 New Orleans Louisiana 70127CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (504) 248-2137
- Fkc - Gentilly7.61 miles away6101 Elysian Fields Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70122Dialysis Stations: 1 (504) 228-4380
- Chalmette Dialysis Ctr7.75 miles away4020 Paris Rd Chalmette Louisiana 70043Dialysis Stations: 16 (504) 277-8423
- Fkc - Chalmette8.38 miles away3027 Jean Lafitte Pkwy Chalmette Louisiana 70043Dialysis Stations: 13 (504) 682-2877
- Dci - New Orleans East8.5 miles away2077 Caton Street Suite A New Orleans Louisiana 70128Dialysis Stations: 21 (504) 242-3770