Fall River Jewish Home is a small non-profit nursing home located in Fall River, Massachusetts. With an overall score of B+. After looking at the other choices in Fall River, this seems to be a higher quality choice than quite a few of them. Based on our analysis, you can do much worse than this place. Keep reading to see this facility's category grades, which are also strong. It is hard to poke holes in this nursing home's profile.
Fall River Jewish Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this turned out to be a strong nursing home is that it earned a very impressive inspection score. Inspections turned out to be its best category grade. In that area, we awarded it an A. Our inspection scores weigh several factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better grades in this category typically have few of these severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a good inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home truly excelled in the category of short-term care, where we awarded it a score of A-. Not many nursing homes performed better in this category. Short-term care scores are crucial for prospective residents needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually requires more skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means a wide range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Unfortunately, we were not able to locate registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.6 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Fall River Jewish Home?
This nursing home also received a strong nursing score. In fact, we awarded it an above average grade of B in this area. We weighed the levels of nurses at the facility, in addition to the number of hours the nurses spent with patients, in determining our score in this area. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our final category, this facility received a high-end long-term care score. This nursing home didn't prove to have any noticeable weaknesses. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it typically means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 95.73171 percent of its residents. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents out of the hospital. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Fall River Jewish Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Fall River Jewish Home, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can reduce the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Fall River Jewish Home, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are often associated with poor nursing care. Better nursing care limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Fall River Jewish Home, 2.45% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term care patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be a sign of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic could be skewed for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Fall River Jewish Home, 18.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Fall River Jewish Home, 18.8% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents which were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are used to treat patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Fall River Jewish Home, 1.95% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Fall River Jewish Home, 91.63% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Fall River Jewish Home, 15.18% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and bathing. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Fall River Jewish Home, 19.01% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that remained mobile levels.
In Fall River Jewish Home, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Fall River Jewish Home, 19.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Fall River Jewish Home, 10.9 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Fall River Jewish Home, 71.03% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Fall River, MA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Fall River, Massachusetts has 6 other nursing homes
- Southcoast Hospital Group, IncAcute Care Hospitals 0.28 miles away363 Highland Avenue Fall River Massachusetts 02720Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 679-3131
- Saint Anne's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.45 miles away795 Middle Street Fall River Massachusetts 02721Proprietary(508) 674-5600
- Emma Pendleton Bradley HospitalPsychiatric 12.7 miles away1011 Veterans Memorial Parkway Riverside Rhode Island 02915Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 432-1000
- Morton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.15 miles away88 Washington Street Taunton Massachusetts 02780Proprietary(508) 828-7000
- Rhode Island HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.16 miles away593 Eddy Street Providence Rhode Island 02903Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 444-4000
- Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode IslandAcute Care Hospitals 15.31 miles away101 Dudley Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 274-1100
- The Miriam HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.25 miles away164 Summit Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02906Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 793-2500
- Newport HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.02 miles away11 Friendship Street Newport Rhode Island 02840Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 846-6400
- Fall River Kidney Center LLC1.44 miles away48 Weaver Street Fall River Massachusetts 02720CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 41 (508) 677-4911
- Dialysis Center of Tiverton3.22 miles away22 Hurst Lane Tiverton Rhode Island 02878Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 624-4403
- Hawthorn Kidney Center8.13 miles away537 Faunce Corner Road North Dartmouth Massachusetts 02747CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (508) 994-9692
- Davita New Bedford Dialysis9.12 miles away237-B State Road North Dartmouth Massachusetts 02747CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (508) 992-0629
- Dialysis Center of East Providence12.94 miles away318 Waterman Avenue East Providence Rhode Island 02914CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 435-5200
- Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital13.11 miles away950 Warren Avenue Suite 101 East Providence Rhode Island 02914Dialysis Stations: 12 (401) 606-1002
- The Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital13.65 miles away22 Baker Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 444-4440
- Fresenius Medical Care of Fairhaven14.07 miles away216 Huttleson Avenue Fairhaven Massachusetts 02719Dialysis Stations: 19 (508) 996-0364