Fall River Healthcare is a nursing home in Fall River, Massachusetts, which has 88,252 people. This nursing home was awarded an overall grade of C, which is a respectable grade. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Fall River, which admittedly is admittedly a bit below average nationally. One of the highlights of this nursing home's profile is its impressive inspection score, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Fall River Healthcare
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Fall River senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Respiratory Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home received an inspection grade which is better than its overall score. Inspection scores are tied to a nursing home's recent government inspections. We awarded this facility an above average grade of B+ in this area. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining these inspection grades. One of those factors is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these can be relatively insignificant. While this nursing home had some minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G through L. This tells you the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple of minor deficiencies shouldn't stop you from considering a nursing home.
This facility performed well in our nursing category. In fact, we awarded it an B- for that category, which is one of our highest grades. Our nursing rating is largely based on the facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is a lower figure than we are used to seeing. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility surprisingly fared better in some of the quality measures we looked at. In fact, it performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be measures of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is as important as the number of hours of care provided.
Does this page answer your questions about Fall River Healthcare?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next best category is long-term care. We awarded it a grade of B- in this area. This is basically a middle of the pack score in this category. If you are seeking services other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care ratings. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 88.222694 percent of its patients. This is many points below what we expected. Fortunately, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's least impressive category was short-term care, which is the last category we scored. It received a lowly F in this area. In spite of a few decent scores in other areas, this grade is nevertheless of a concern so we wanted to point it out. Our short-term care grade is typically employed to gauge a nursing home's rehabilitation services. In order to offer highly rated rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to feature higher levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Lastly, we considered the number of residents who who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.2 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was well off the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Fall River Healthcare Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Fall River Healthcare, 8.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Fall River Healthcare, 4.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a fall leading to major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Fall River Healthcare, 1.1% of Patients had UTIs
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term care patients that experienced UTI's. UTI's may be an indicator of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint could also be skewed for some facilities due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Fall River Healthcare, 23.01% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. These medications may be used to treat a variety of medical conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Fall River Healthcare, 20.97% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically given to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Fall River Healthcare, 3.02% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients demonstrating signs of depression. Some believe this is a reliable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Fall River Healthcare, 91.46% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Fall River Healthcare, 21.33% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate the erosion of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Fall River Healthcare, 23.25% of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that were able to retain mobility. Many believe that the ability to move around is critical to residents' physical and mental well-being.
In Fall River Healthcare, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is key to the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Fall River Healthcare, 23.25% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Fall River Healthcare, 16.64% of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Fall River Healthcare, 62.44% of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with ADL's often correlates with better rehabilitation services.
Scores for Fall River, MA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Fall River, Massachusetts has 3 other nursing homes
- Southcoast Hospital Group, IncAcute Care Hospitals 1.32 miles away363 Highland Avenue Fall River Massachusetts 02720Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 679-3131
- Saint Anne's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.82 miles away795 Middle Street Fall River Massachusetts 02721Proprietary(508) 674-5600
- Emma Pendleton Bradley HospitalPsychiatric 12.51 miles away1011 Veterans Memorial Parkway Riverside Rhode Island 02915Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 432-1000
- Morton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.7 miles away88 Washington Street Taunton Massachusetts 02780Proprietary(508) 828-7000
- Rhode Island HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.94 miles away593 Eddy Street Providence Rhode Island 02903Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 444-4000
- Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode IslandAcute Care Hospitals 15.1 miles away101 Dudley Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 274-1100
- The Miriam HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.78 miles away164 Summit Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02906Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 793-2500
- Sturdy Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.55 miles away211 Park Street Attleboro Massachusetts 02703Voluntary non-profit - Other(508) 222-5200
- Fall River Kidney Center LLC0.33 miles away48 Weaver Street Fall River Massachusetts 02720CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 41 (508) 677-4911
- Dialysis Center of Tiverton4.68 miles away22 Hurst Lane Tiverton Rhode Island 02878Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 624-4403
- Hawthorn Kidney Center8.26 miles away537 Faunce Corner Road North Dartmouth Massachusetts 02747CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (508) 994-9692
- Davita New Bedford Dialysis9.6 miles away237-B State Road North Dartmouth Massachusetts 02747CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (508) 992-0629
- Dialysis Center of East Providence12.56 miles away318 Waterman Avenue East Providence Rhode Island 02914CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 435-5200
- Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital12.77 miles away950 Warren Avenue Suite 101 East Providence Rhode Island 02914Dialysis Stations: 12 (401) 606-1002
- The Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital13.3 miles away22 Baker Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 444-4440
- Taunton Regional Dialysis Center13.82 miles awayMill River Place 1 Washington St, Suite 9 Taunton Massachusetts 02780CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (508) 828-5986