Fall River Healthcare is a nursing home in Fall River, Massachusetts, which has 88,252 people. This nursing home was awarded an overall grade of B, which is favorable grade. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Fall River. This nursing home's impressive report card was highlighted by its long-term care rating, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Fall River Healthcare
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Respiratory Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A- for our long-term care grade. Facilities that do well in long-term care tend to be well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. After looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 97.53087 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is significantly higher than the average nursing home. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
In addition, this nursing home earned top notch inspections in recent years. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with an A-. Perhaps the most important factor we look at in calculating our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. Facilities with higher grades in this area typically avoided the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This nursing home was assessed 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This means that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies to be an imminent risk to patient health or safety. We should note that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in this industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Fall River Healthcare?
In addition, this facility also received favorable nursing grades this year. In fact, we awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B+. We scrutinized the qualifications of nurses working for the nursing home, as well as the number of hours the nurses were with patients, in determining our rating in this category. This particular nursing home provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we graded was short-term care. For this category, we gave this nursing home a C. In determining our short-term care ratings, we scrutinize the nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This score is often a meaningful assessment of a nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 4.6 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Fall River Healthcare Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Fall River Healthcare, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Fall River Healthcare, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term patients who had a fall resulting in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Fall River Healthcare, 2.45% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely linked to poor nursing care. However, this statistic could also be misleading for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Fall River Healthcare, 18.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs are sometimes used for a variety of conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Fall River Healthcare, 18.8% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Fall River Healthcare, 1.95% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Fall River Healthcare, 91.63% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Fall River Healthcare, 15.18% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Fall River Healthcare, 19.01% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients that were able to retain mobility. Many in the industry believe that the ability to move around is vital to residents' mental and physical health.
In Fall River Healthcare, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Fall River Healthcare, 19.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Fall River Healthcare, 10.9 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Fall River Healthcare, 71.03% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Fall River, MA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Fall River, Massachusetts has 6 other nursing homes
- Southcoast Hospital Group, IncAcute Care Hospitals 1.32 miles away363 Highland Avenue Fall River Massachusetts 02720Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 679-3131
- Saint Anne's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.82 miles away795 Middle Street Fall River Massachusetts 02721Proprietary(508) 674-5600
- Emma Pendleton Bradley HospitalPsychiatric 12.51 miles away1011 Veterans Memorial Parkway Riverside Rhode Island 02915Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 432-1000
- Morton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.7 miles away88 Washington Street Taunton Massachusetts 02780Proprietary(508) 828-7000
- Rhode Island HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.94 miles away593 Eddy Street Providence Rhode Island 02903Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 444-4000
- Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode IslandAcute Care Hospitals 15.1 miles away101 Dudley Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 274-1100
- The Miriam HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.78 miles away164 Summit Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02906Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 793-2500
- Sturdy Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.55 miles away211 Park Street Attleboro Massachusetts 02703Voluntary non-profit - Other(508) 222-5200
- Fall River Kidney Center LLC0.33 miles away48 Weaver Street Fall River Massachusetts 02720CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 41 (508) 677-4911
- Dialysis Center of Tiverton4.68 miles away22 Hurst Lane Tiverton Rhode Island 02878Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 624-4403
- Hawthorn Kidney Center8.26 miles away537 Faunce Corner Road North Dartmouth Massachusetts 02747CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (508) 994-9692
- Davita New Bedford Dialysis9.6 miles away237-B State Road North Dartmouth Massachusetts 02747CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (508) 992-0629
- Dialysis Center of East Providence12.56 miles away318 Waterman Avenue East Providence Rhode Island 02914CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 435-5200
- Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital12.77 miles away950 Warren Avenue Suite 101 East Providence Rhode Island 02914Dialysis Stations: 12 (401) 606-1002
- The Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital13.3 miles away22 Baker Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 444-4440
- Taunton Regional Dialysis Center13.82 miles awayMill River Place 1 Washington St, Suite 9 Taunton Massachusetts 02780CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (508) 828-5986