Located in Birmingham, Alabama, Fair Haven is one of nine available facilities there. This nursing home was awarded an A- overall, which is one of our more impressive scores. This is better than many of the facilities in Birmingham, which has a decent selection of nursing homes. Scroll down to find this facility's category scores, which are also impressive. It is hard to poke holes in this place's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Birmingham senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
With an overall grade this high, it should come as no surprise that this facility performed well in the area of inspections, where it received an A. Inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe made us feel better about this inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
We also would like to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home was awarded a superb grade of A- in our short-term care category. Short-term care grades are typically used to judge a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. In order to provide highly scored rehabilitation services, facilities generally must feature higher levels of skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other types of therapists. We weren't able to track down information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. The last measure we looked at in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that 6.2 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Fair Haven?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home is also above average in the area of long-term care, where it received a score of B+. It performed better than most facilities in this area. Nursing homes that receive this type of grade in this category tend to provide consistent around the clock care to ensure patients are well cared for. Once we looked at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 98.9736 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is much higher than the average nursing home. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Moving on to the final category, this nursing home was awarded an extremely favorable nursing grade. In fact, we awarded it a grade of B+ in this category, wrapping up one of our more impressive report cards. We assessed the levels of nurses working for the facility, in addition to the quantity of time the nurses spent with residents, in determining our grade in this area. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Fair Haven Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Fair Haven, 9.43% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term stay patients who suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Fair Haven, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term residents that had falls which caused severe injury. We use this statistic in computing our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Fair Haven, 3.36% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care . UTI's are routinely linked to poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic could also be skewed for some facilities due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Fair Haven, 19.38% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term care patients who are prescribed antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such medications are not medically required. However, some facilities may need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of patients with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Fair Haven, 23.22% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents which were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Fair Haven, 1.24% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients demonstrating symptoms of depression. High levels of depression could imply a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Fair Haven, 91.17% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Fair Haven, 13.58% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Fair Haven, 14.98% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Fair Haven, 1.81 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Fair Haven, 14.98 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Fair Haven, 10.28 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Fair Haven, 76.71% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's often correlates with better rehabilitation.
Scores for Birmingham, AL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Birmingham, Alabama has 8 other nursing homes
- St Vincent's BirminghamAcute Care Hospitals 3.74 miles away810 St Vincent's Drive Birmingham Alabama 35205Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-7000
- University of Alabama HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.5 miles away619 South 19th Street Birmingham Alabama 35233Government - State(205) 934-4011
- Uab Callahan Eye Hospital AuthorityAcute Care Hospitals 4.59 miles away1720 University Blvd, Suite 500 Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 325-8100
- Children's Hospital of AlabamaChildrens 4.76 miles away1600 Seventh Avenue South Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-9100
- Brookwood Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.11 miles away2010 Brookwood Medical Center Drive Birmingham Alabama 35209Proprietary(205) 877-1000
- Grandview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.14 miles away3690 Grandview Parkway Birmingham Alabama 35243Proprietary(205) 971-1000
- St Vincent's EastAcute Care Hospitals 6.16 miles away50 Medical Park East Drive Birmingham Alabama 35235Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 838-3122
- Princeton Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.1 miles away701 Princeton Avenue Southwest Birmingham Alabama 35211Voluntary non-profit - Church(205) 783-3800
- Fmc Montclair0.86 miles away7780 Ludington Lane Birmingham Alabama 35210Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 957-1010
- Dsi South Dialysis3.39 miles away3201 3rd Ave South Birmingham Alabama 35222Dialysis Stations: 20 (205) 502-5300
- Dci Birmingham3.77 miles away8713 Parkway East Birmingham Alabama 35206CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (205) 838-5400
- Rcg Southside4.15 miles away2131 Magnolia Ave South #100 Birmingham Alabama 35205Dialysis Stations: 16 (205) 322-4382
- Bio-Medical Applications of Alabama, Inc4.18 miles away2024 4th Ave South, Suite 100 Birmingham Alabama 35233Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 321-5844
- Dva Renal Healthcare Inc4.3 miles away300-B 22nd Street South Birmingham Alabama 35233Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 250-6757
- Magic City Dialysis4.3 miles away300 22nd St. S Birmingham Alabama 35233CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (205) 986-0592
- Birmingham Central Dialysis4.3 miles away728 Richard Arrington Blvd S Birmingham Alabama 35233CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (205) 250-6760