With an address in Newark, Delaware, Exceptional Care for Children is one of five available nursing homes in this area. This facility is among the most impressive nursing homes we found. Receiving an A+ in our grading scheme requires superb marks across the board. This is just about as good of a place as you'll find. This facility was also given impressive grades in all of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Exceptional Care for Children
- Nursing Home
- For Children
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- No Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Other
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Top Nursing Home in Delaware Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Delaware Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Newark, Delaware Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Delaware Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to point out the fact that this facility earned near flawless government inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Our inspection ratings account for a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with better grades in this area tend to have few of these severe deficiencies. Unfortunately, it does not appear that we have deficiency data for this facility. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
This nursing home also received an A+ nursing grade, making it one of the few nursing homes to receive multiple A+ category grades. Nursing ratings are largely tied to the nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 1.1 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Exceptional Care for Children?
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed was long-term care. This facility fared very well in our long-term care rating also. We awarded them an exemplary grade of A+ in this area. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. In addition to looking at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients healthy. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
In the last area, we gave this facility an A+ for its short-term care score. This topped off an elite report card. In determining our short-term care scores, we analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our objective is to devise a scale for comparing the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who returned home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Exceptional Care for Children Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Exceptional Care for Children, 5.85% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that suffered from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Exceptional Care for Children, 3.56% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . Falls which result in injury are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Exceptional Care for Children, 1.83% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term patients which have had a UTI. UTI's may be an indication of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this metric can also be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Exceptional Care for Children, 11.38% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Exceptional Care for Children, 19.25% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Exceptional Care for Children, 3.54% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Exceptional Care for Children, 94.07% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Exceptional Care for Children, 14.59% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate the deterioration of a patient's well-being.
Scores for Newark, DE
- Overall Rating has a grade of A
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Newark, Delaware has 4 other nursing homes
- Christiana Care Health Services, Inc.Acute Care Hospitals 5.64 miles away4755 Ogletown-Stanton Road Newark Delaware 19718Voluntary non-profit - Private(302) 733-1000
- Rockford CenterPsychiatric 6.42 miles away100 Rockford Drive Newark Delaware 19713Proprietary(302) 996-5480
- Jennersville HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.61 miles away1015 West Baltimore Pike West Grove Pennsylvania 19390Voluntary non-profit - Other(610) 869-1000
- Alfred I Dupont Hospital for ChildrenChildrens 14.56 miles away1600 Rockland Rd PO Box 269 Wilmington Delaware 19899Voluntary non-profit - Private(302) 651-4000
- Salem Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.19 miles away310 Woodstown Road Salem New Jersey 08079Voluntary non-profit - Private(856) 935-1000
- University of Md Harford Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.9 miles away501 South Union Avenue Havre De Grace Maryland 21078Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 643-3303
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Christiana2.17 miles awayUniversity Plaza Shopping Center 63 University Plaza Newark Delaware 19702CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (302) 453-8834
- Bio-Medical Applications of Delaware, Inc.2.53 miles away230 E. Main Street, Unit 325 Newark Delaware 19711Dialysis Stations: 12 (302) 366-0129
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Fox Run4.04 miles away2520 Wrangle Hill Road, Suite 100 Bear Delaware 19701Dialysis Stations: 15 (302) 836-6093
- Fmc - Elkton4.73 miles away216 S Bridge St Elkton Maryland 21921CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 620-3911
- American Universal LLC4.75 miles away1415 Pulaski Highway, Suite B Newark Delaware 19702Dialysis Stations: 17 (302) 836-9790
- Christiana Care Health System5.16 miles awayHemodialysis Unit, Christiana Hospital 4755 Ogletown-Stanton Road, p.o. Box 6001 Newark Delaware 19718Dialysis Stations: 21 (302) 733-1020
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Brandywine Home Therapies6.36 miles away4923 Ogletown-Stanton Road, Suite 210 Newark Delaware 19713Dialysis Stations: 3 (302) 998-7568
- American Universal - Hockessin8.33 miles away5936 Limestone Road, Suite 101 Hockessin Delaware 19707Dialysis Stations: 11 (302) 239-4106