Located in Lebanon, Indiana, Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is one of five available facilities in this city. With an overall rating of F, we consider this to be a very poor nursing home. Lebanon received a city grade of B-, so there are some other options in the city worth looking at. We would not blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, we will discuss short-term care in the next paragraph.
Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
While we gave this facility a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a B for our short-term care rating. Our short-term care ratings are considered to be more critical for folks needing rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation generally mandates additional skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes not just nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final item we assessed in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
This place actually performed well in the area of inspections also. In fact, we gave it a B- for that category, which is a solid score. These inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this place had some deficiencies on its report, none were severe based on CMS' scale. A couple minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Does this page answer your questions about Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
As it turns out, this facility only received a grade of D for its long-term care grade, which is not a very good score. If you are looking for services other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care grades. Once we concluded our assessment of the volume of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination record. We were optimistic to discover that this facility vaccinated 98.947365 percent of its residents against pneumonia. To our surprise, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility had less hospitalizations than many nursing homes. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
The final area we assessed was nursing. We gave it a lowly F in this category, which is a bottom of the barrel score. Our nursing grade is based on several subcategories, however, the main consideration is the number of nurse hours spent with patients. This place offered just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is an alarmingly low total. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing grades. This place performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are routinely linked to lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.96% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often associated with nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Better hygiene protocols can reduce the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 13.37% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 21.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are given to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 12.38% of Patients
This is the percent of patients showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 91.56% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 16.12% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom. Some experts argue that this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 17.5% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 17.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Lebanon, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Lebanon, Indiana has 4 other nursing homes
- Witham Health ServicesAcute Care Hospitals 1.44 miles away2605 N Lebanon St Lebanon Indiana 46052Government - Local(765) 485-8000
- Indiana University Health Frankfort IncCritical Access Hospitals 14.92 miles away1300 S Jackson St Frankfort Indiana 46041Voluntary non-profit - Private(765) 656-3000
- St Vincent Hospital & Health ServicesAcute Care Hospitals 17.58 miles away2001 W 86th St Indianapolis Indiana 46260Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 338-7000
- Indiana University Health North HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.59 miles away11700 N Meridian St Carmel Indiana 46032Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 688-2000
- St Vincent Carmel Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 17.81 miles away13500 N Meridian St Carmel Indiana 46032Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 582-7000
- St Vincent Heart Center of Indiana LLCAcute Care Hospitals 18.36 miles away10580 N Meridian St Indianapolis Indiana 46290Proprietary(317) 583-5000
- Fmc - Liberty Dialysis - Lebanon, LLC0.87 miles away2485 N. Lebanon Street Lebanon Indiana 46052Dialysis Stations: 9 (765) 485-0533
- Davita - Brownsburg Clinic14.4 miles away124 East Northfield Drive Brownsburg Indiana 46112Dialysis Stations: 10 (317) 858-3561
- Nxkc Indianapolis Northwest, LLC16.12 miles away9101 N. Wesleyan Rd, Suite 115 Indianapolis Indiana 46268Dialysis Stations: 3 (317) 829-9770
- Us Renal Care- Nw Indianapolis Renal Center16.67 miles away6488 Corporate Drive Indianapolis Indiana 46268CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 328-9667
- Dialyze Direct in, LLC17.32 miles away13295 Illinois St. Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 1 (463) 219-0231
- Fmc - Carmel17.48 miles away12400 North Meridian St., Ste 200 Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 12 (317) 575-8312
- Fmc - Indianapolis-North18.25 miles away1225 W 86th Street Indianapolis Indiana 46260CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (317) 228-0169
- Davita - Eagle Highlands18.54 miles away6925 Shore Terrace Indianapolis Indiana 46254Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 295-0423