Located in Lebanon, Indiana, Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is one of just a couple facilities in this area. Sporting an overall grade of B-, this is likely a decent facility. Based on the data we reviewed, there are definitely far worse places out there. The best part of this place's profile was is its inspection grade. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Lebanon senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - County
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this ended up being a decent nursing home is that it earned an excellent inspection grade. Its inspection score was far better than its overall grade. In the inspections category, we gave this facility an A-. Inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This nursing home was hit with 7 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered severe. This tells you that the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies an imminent risk to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's more favorable category grades was in the category of long-term care. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B+. Facilities that do well in this category typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to patients. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents out of the hospital. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The third area we graded was short-term care, where this facility received a B- in this category. In calculating our short-term care grades, we look at the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our objective is to devise a barometer for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Unfortunately, we were not able to locate registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. Finally, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
The last category we rated is nursing. We awarded this facility a D in our nursing category, rendering this the facility's least impressive category. There are many subcategories included in this grade. Most of these subcategories are tied to staffing levels. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is not a very impressive figure. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing ratings. This nursing home performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these statistics to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 7.36% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 4.17% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who sustained a fall which resulted in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.69% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 13.33% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 22.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 14.48% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. Increased rates of depression may be a sign worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 91.03% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 15.46% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom. Some experts argue that this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 12.91% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 12.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
- Witham Health ServicesAcute Care Hospitals 1.44 miles away2605 N Lebanon St Lebanon Indiana 46052Government - Local(765) 485-8000
- Indiana University Health Frankfort IncCritical Access Hospitals 14.92 miles away1300 S Jackson St Frankfort Indiana 46041Voluntary non-profit - Private(765) 656-3000
- St Vincent Hospital & Health ServicesAcute Care Hospitals 17.58 miles away2001 W 86th St Indianapolis Indiana 46260Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 338-7000
- Indiana University Health North HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.59 miles away11700 N Meridian St Carmel Indiana 46032Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 688-2000
- St Vincent Carmel Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 17.81 miles away13500 N Meridian St Carmel Indiana 46032Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 582-7000
- St Vincent Heart Center of Indiana LLCAcute Care Hospitals 18.36 miles away10580 N Meridian St Indianapolis Indiana 46290Proprietary(317) 583-5000
- Fmc - Liberty Dialysis - Lebanon, LLC0.87 miles away2485 N. Lebanon Street Lebanon Indiana 46052Dialysis Stations: 9 (765) 485-0533
- Davita - Brownsburg Clinic14.4 miles away124 East Northfield Drive Brownsburg Indiana 46112Dialysis Stations: 10 (317) 858-3561
- Nxkc Indianapolis Northwest, LLC16.12 miles away9101 N. Wesleyan Rd, Suite 115 Indianapolis Indiana 46268Dialysis Stations: 3 (317) 829-9770
- Us Renal Care- Nw Indianapolis Renal Center16.67 miles away6488 Corporate Drive Indianapolis Indiana 46268CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 328-9667
- Dialyze Direct in, LLC17.32 miles away13295 Illinois St. Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 1 (463) 219-0231
- Fmc - Carmel17.48 miles away12400 North Meridian St., Ste 200 Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 12 (317) 575-8312
- Fmc - Indianapolis-North18.25 miles away1225 W 86th Street Indianapolis Indiana 46260CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (317) 228-0169
- Davita - Eagle Highlands18.54 miles away6925 Shore Terrace Indianapolis Indiana 46254Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 295-0423