English Oaks Convalescent & Rehabilitation Hospital is a facility in Modesto, California which has a total of 255,354 people. We gave this facility an overall grade of D. A score of this caliber typically indicates a few concerning datapoints. This place seems to have very little going for it. We would not blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, we will discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
English Oaks Convalescent & Rehabilitation Hospital
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Note: English Oaks Convalescent & Rehabilitation Hospital has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not have many favorable things to say about this place's overall grade, it earned a respectable government inspection report this year. It received a decent grade in this area with a B-. Inspection grades account for a host of factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. We weren't able to locate deficiency data for this nursing home. Lastly, this facility was flagged by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We prefer to avoid facilities with this designation. Please do your best to find an alternative nursing home.
This nursing home actually received a decent grade in the area of nursing as well. We awarded it a grade of B- for that category, which is not a bad score. Nursing scores are mostly tied to the facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures. While this facility got docked a bit for nursing hours per resident, it excelled in some of these quality measures. With less than five percent of its residents experiencing pressure ulcers, it did well in this subcategory. This is generally an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as having a policy of moving residents even once per day.
Does this page answer your questions about English Oaks Convalescent & Rehabilitation Hospital?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's third most favorable area is short-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home a B-. Short-term care ratings are based on the nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This means a vast scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, not to mention other types of therapy. In this facility's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than the average facility. The hope is always that this does not adversely impact the quality of care. The final metric we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients that ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 5.7 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we scored is long-term care. We awarded this facility a B- in that area. In crafting these long-term care ratings, we quantify the nursing home's personal care services. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. This place was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
English Oaks Convalescent & Rehabilitation Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In English Oaks Convalescent & Rehabilitation Hospital, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In English Oaks Convalescent & Rehabilitation Hospital, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are often the result of lower quality nursing care. More supervision minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In English Oaks Convalescent & Rehabilitation Hospital, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This gauges the percent of long-term stay residents that have sustained urinary tract infections. Although a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it can be problematic to compare different facilities due to nursing homes having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In English Oaks Convalescent & Rehabilitation Hospital, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term patients that are given antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications aren't medically required. However, some facilities need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of patients with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In English Oaks Convalescent & Rehabilitation Hospital, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of long-term patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In English Oaks Convalescent & Rehabilitation Hospital, 4.64% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In English Oaks Convalescent & Rehabilitation Hospital, 95.44% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In English Oaks Convalescent & Rehabilitation Hospital, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In English Oaks Convalescent & Rehabilitation Hospital, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In English Oaks Convalescent & Rehabilitation Hospital, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In English Oaks Convalescent & Rehabilitation Hospital, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In English Oaks Convalescent & Rehabilitation Hospital, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In English Oaks Convalescent & Rehabilitation Hospital, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Modesto, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Modesto, California has 9 other nursing homes
- Doctors Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.86 miles away1441 Florida Avenue Modesto California 95350Proprietary(209) 578-1211
- Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.85 miles away1700 Coffee Rd Modesto California 95355Voluntary non-profit - Private(209) 526-4500
- Oak Valley Hospital DistrictAcute Care Hospitals 11.19 miles away350 S Oak Ave Oakdale California 95361Government - Hospital District or Authority(209) 847-3011
- Doctors Hospital of MantecaAcute Care Hospitals 11.84 miles away1205 E North Street Manteca California 95336Voluntary non-profit - Other(209) 823-3111
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital MantecaAcute Care Hospitals 13.73 miles away1777 West Yosemite Ave Manteca California 95337Voluntary non-profit - Private(209) 825-3700
- Emanuel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.56 miles away825 Delbon Ave Turlock California 95382Voluntary non-profit - Church(209) 667-4200
- San Joaquin General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.39 miles away500 W Hospital Road French Camp California 95231Government - Local(209) 468-6000
- Parkway Kidney Center0.87 miles away2200 Plaza Parkway, Suite b1-b4 Modesto California 95350CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (209) 574-6818
- Archway Dialysis of Modesto1.9 miles away3001 Health Care Way Modesto California 95356CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (209) 543-1720
- Satellite Healthcare North Modesto2.23 miles away4207 Bangs Avenue, Suite 100 Modesto California 95356CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (209) 338-2500
- Wellbound of North Modesto2.23 miles away4207 Bangs Ave. Suite 200 Modesto California 95356Dialysis Stations: 3 (209) 338-2540
- Archway Modesto Home Training2.61 miles away3001 Health Care Way, Suite 101 Modesto California 95350Dialysis Stations: 4 (209) 543-1721
- Modesto Kidney Center, LLC3.17 miles away305 E. Granger Ave.., Ste. 102 Modesto California 95350CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (209) 574-6800
- Satellite Dialysis Central Modesto3.46 miles away1315 10th Street, Suite 300 Modesto California 95354CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (209) 238-4087
- Wellbound of Modesto3.46 miles away1315 Tenth Street #100 Modesto California 95354Dialysis Stations: 4 (209) 238-4080