Encore at Turf Valley is one of a mere three available nursing homes located in Ellicott City, Maryland. This facility is ranked among the highest-rated facilities we assessed. It was given one of the highest grades that we offer. In fact, we ranked this facility in the top 20 percent of all nursing homes in the nation. If you scroll down, you can see this place's category ratings, which are also strong.
Encore at Turf Valley
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
11150 Resort Road,
Ellicott City MD 21042
78.68% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
On top of performing well overall, this facility also received nearly flawless government inspections. Consequently, it earned one of our best scores in that area with an A+. Inspection scores weigh several factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher scores in this area generally have few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to its elite resume, this facility also excelled in our short-term care category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for the category. With our short-term care grade, we strive to craft a sound gauge for rehabilitation. In this process, we look at the nursing home's scope of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. This nursing home provides more services with registered nurses and physical therapists than most nursing homes we looked at. The last metric we assessed in this area is the number of patients that were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that it performed as well as just about any nursing home in Maryland in this area with 66.8 percent of its patients returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about Encore at Turf Valley?
This facility received a very good nursing grade this year as well. It received one of our better scores in that category with a grade of B+. The nursing rating includes quite a few factors, however, the paramount one is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. This facility provided 3.9 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is an impressive figure which typically leads to higher quality care. Finally, this facility also performed well in several of the quality-based metrics we looked at. For example, in terms of the percentage of its residents suffering from pressure ulcers, this place performed better than the national average. This is generally an indicator that a place has reliable quality controls. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented with better nursing care and having a policy of regularly turning residents to avoid bed sores.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the next area, this nursing home was awarded a strong long-term care score. Even though this isn't quite as impressive as a few of its other category grades, this remains one of our better grades we offer. When facilities receive a score in this range in long-term care it generally means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 94.31818 percent of its residents, which is more than the vast majority of nursing homes. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 1.53 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility has fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Encore at Turf Valley Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Encore at Turf Valley, 10.37% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Encore at Turf Valley, 2.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Encore at Turf Valley, 2.06% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often associated with nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Better hygiene protocols can reduce the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Encore at Turf Valley, 13.07% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Encore at Turf Valley, 14.7% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are prescribed to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Encore at Turf Valley, 9.93% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents showing depressive symptoms. Some experts believe this is a measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Encore at Turf Valley, 92.59% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Encore at Turf Valley, 19.84% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Encore at Turf Valley, 30.1% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Encore at Turf Valley, 0.99 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Encore at Turf Valley, 30.1 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Encore at Turf Valley, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Encore at Turf Valley, 73.71% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements.
- Howard County General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.98 miles away5755 Cedar Lane Columbia Maryland 21044Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 740-7890
- Northwest Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.48 miles away5401 Old Court Road Randallstown Maryland 21133Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 521-2200
- Saint Agnes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.23 miles away900 Caton Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21229Voluntary non-profit - Church(410) 368-2101
- Sinai Hospital of BaltimoreAcute Care Hospitals 13.19 miles away2401 West Belvedere Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21215Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 601-5131
- Bon Secours HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.3 miles away2000 W Baltimore Street Baltimore Maryland 21223Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 362-3000
- Medstar Montgomery Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.3 miles away18101 Prince Philip Drive Olney Maryland 20832Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 774-8882
- University of Maryland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.63 miles away22 South Greene Street Baltimore Maryland 21201Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 328-8667
- University of Md Medical Center Midtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 14.76 miles away827 Linden Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21201Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 225-8996
- Ellicott City Dialysis Center LLC3.77 miles away3419 Plum Tree Drive Suites 103-106 Ellicott City Maryland 21042CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (410) 750-8426
- Davita-Ellicott Kidney Center LLC4.22 miles away3000 N Ridge Rd Ellicott City Maryland 21043Dialysis Stations: 7 (410) 465-0273
- Davita - Howard County5.81 miles away5999 Harpers Farm Rd Ste E-110 Columbia Maryland 21044CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (410) 997-4244
- Davita - Cedar Lane7.16 miles away6334 Cedar Lane Columbia Maryland 21044Dialysis Stations: 13 (410) 531-5390
- Fresenius Medical Care Randallstown LLC7.2 miles away9109 Liberty Rd Randallstown Maryland 21133Dialysis Stations: 12 (410) 655-1076
- Davita - Windsor Dialysis7.43 miles away2707 Rolling Rd Stes 104-105 Windsor Mill Maryland 21244CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (410) 944-2649
- Kidney Home Center7.44 miles away2270 Rolling Run Drive Suite 600 Windsor Mill Maryland 21244Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 265-0618
- Baltimore County Dialysis Facility7.99 miles away3689 a Offutt Road Randallstown Maryland 21133CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (410) 922-2475