Emerald Terrace Convalescent Hospital is a small nursing home located in Los Angeles, California. Sporting an overall rating of B, this is actually one of the fifteen best nursing homes nursing homes in Los Angeles. Even with Los Angeles having 75 nursing homes available, this nursing home should be a sound choice. The best part of this facility's impressive profile is its nursing grade. We discuss nursing in the next paragraph
Emerald Terrace Convalescent Hospital
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Adult Day Care
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
1154 s.alvarado St,
Los Angeles CA 90006
88.75% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Has Curved Walls
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it received a very impressive nursing rating. In fact, nursing turned out to be its best category. In that category, we awarded this nursing home an A. In determining a nursing home's nursing rating, we look at the quantity of hours nurses commit to residents as well as the level of skill of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place California in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as employing a protocol of moving a resident more frequently.
Adding to its impressive profile, this nursing home also performed at a high level in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless government inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our best grades in that area with a score of B+. Inspection grades are based on items located in the a nursing home's inspection reports. Places that receive favorable grades in this category have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are rare in the industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Emerald Terrace Convalescent Hospital?
Short-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a decent score in the area of short-term care, where we gave it a grade of B-. Our short-term care grades are presumably most critical for people requiring rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation typically mandates more skilled nursing services. This means not just nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. It doesn't look like this facility submitted registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. The final measure we looked at in this area is the number of patients that were able to return home from the facility. We found that just 5 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home. This figure was below average.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we rated is long-term care. This facility received a grade of B- for the category. For residents looking for a permanent residence as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care is an important category. Once we looked at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination records. We were pleased to discover that this facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. This facility was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Emerald Terrace Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Emerald Terrace Convalescent Hospital, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a great barometer of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Emerald Terrace Convalescent Hospital, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a fall resulting in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Emerald Terrace Convalescent Hospital, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who suffered from a UTI. Although more of these infections may reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be difficult to compare between nursing homes due to nursing homes having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Emerald Terrace Convalescent Hospital, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Emerald Terrace Convalescent Hospital, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term stay residents which are prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are commonly used to treat residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Emerald Terrace Convalescent Hospital, 4.64% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Emerald Terrace Convalescent Hospital, 95.44% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Emerald Terrace Convalescent Hospital, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of decline of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Emerald Terrace Convalescent Hospital, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who retained mobility levels. Many in the industry would argue that the ability to move around is vital to residents' physical and mental health.
In Emerald Terrace Convalescent Hospital, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is important to the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Emerald Terrace Convalescent Hospital, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Emerald Terrace Convalescent Hospital, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Emerald Terrace Convalescent Hospital, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of performance with activities of daily living often correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for Los Angeles, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Los Angeles, California has 74 other nursing homes
- Saint Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.07 miles away2131 W 3rd St Los Angeles California 90057Voluntary non-profit - Church(213) 484-7111
- California Hospital Medical Center LaAcute Care Hospitals 1.25 miles away1401 South Grand Avenue Los Angeles California 90015Voluntary non-profit - Other(213) 748-2411
- Hollywood Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.32 miles away1300 N Vermont Ave Los Angeles California 90027Proprietary(213) 413-3000
- Children's Hosp of Los AngelesChildrens 3.45 miles away4650 Sunset Blvd, Ms 108 Los Angeles California 90027Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 669-2164
- Lac+Usc Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.13 miles away1200 N State St, Room c2k100 Los Angeles California 90033Government - Local(323) 226-2800
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 4.16 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 5.34 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.59 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Davita-Wilshire Dialysis Center1.1 miles away1212 Wilshire Blvd. Los Angeles California 90017CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (213) 482-5181
- u.s. Renal Care Grand Home Program1.11 miles away1145 West 6th Street, Suite 100 Los Angeles California 90017Dialysis Stations: 3 (213) 250-9758
- u.s. Renal Care Los Angeles Dialysis1.13 miles away1125 W. 6th Street, Suite 101 Los Angeles California 90017CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (213) 481-3041
- u.s. Renal Care Downtown Los Angeles Dialysis1.15 miles away2511 W 3rd Street, Suite 120 Los Angeles California 90057Dialysis Stations: 24 (213) 487-7730
- St. Vincent Dialysis Center, Inc.1.17 miles away201 S. Alvarado Street, Suite 220 Los Angeles California 90057Dialysis Stations: 17 (213) 484-7425
- u.s. Renal Care Grand Avenue Dialysis1.28 miles away1400 S. Grand Avenue, Suite 105 Los Angeles California 90015CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (213) 867-1111
- u.s. Renal Care Gala Dialysis1.29 miles away1666 W. Third Street Los Angeles California 90017CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (213) 989-0247
- Davita-Los Angeles Downtown1.56 miles away2021 S. Flower Street Los Angeles California 90007CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (213) 745-4222