Elston Nursing & Rehab Centre is a facility located in Chicago, Illinois which has a total of 2,680,484 people. This facility was awarded an overall grade of D, which is a well below average rating. Fortunately, if you aren't satisfied with this facility, there are 39 nursing homes to choose from in the city so you should be able to find a better option. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's report card is its impressive inspection reports. You can continue reading to learn more about inspections and other category grades
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Elston Nursing & Rehab Centre
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Chicago senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we were not high on this facility's overall performance, it did receive an impressive inspection report this year with few dings from the applicable government inspectors. As a result, it received one of our better grades in that area with a B+. Inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this place had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G through L. This tells you CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A few minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's next best area ended up being its short-term care grade, where it was awarded a B-. With our short-term care rating, we seek to forge a meaningful barometer for rehabilitation. In this process, we assess the nursing home's offerings of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. In this facility's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than the typical facility. The final statistic we considered in this area is the number of patients who who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Elston Nursing & Rehab Centre?
This nursing home actually received a decent grade in the area of nursing as well. We awarded it a grade of C for that category, which is not a bad score. When calculating a facility's nursing rating, we consider the amount of time nurses spend with residents as well as the levels of training of those nurses. This particular nursing home provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This figure is far below average. Lastly, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics. While this place got dinged a bit for its nursing hours, it actually excelled in some of these quality measures. With less than five percent of its patients experiencing pressure ulcers, it performed remarkably well in this statistic. This can be an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as employing a system of moving residents more frequently.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we assessed is long-term care. We gave it a lowly F in this area, which is a bottom of the barrel grade. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally are a bad sign for the quantity and quality of care provided by nurses and aids. After considering the volume of nursing care, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination record. We were a bit worried that this nursing home vaccinated only 85.92057 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Surprisingly, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than many nursing homes. This was its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Elston Nursing & Rehab Centre Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Elston Nursing & Rehab Centre, 6.77% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Elston Nursing & Rehab Centre, 3.25% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Falls resulting in injury are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Elston Nursing & Rehab Centre, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely the result of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this metric may also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Elston Nursing & Rehab Centre, 20% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to residents for many medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Elston Nursing & Rehab Centre, 4.12% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Elston Nursing & Rehab Centre, 66.94% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Elston Nursing & Rehab Centre, 87.04% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Elston Nursing & Rehab Centre, 13.1% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom. Many in the industry would argue this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Elston Nursing & Rehab Centre, 13.84% of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents that retained mobility levels.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Elston Nursing & Rehab Centre, 13.84% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Elston Nursing & Rehab Centre, 15.13% of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Elston Nursing & Rehab Centre, 63.6% of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Chicago, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Chicago, Illinois has 38 other nursing homes
- Swedish Covenant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.88 miles away5145 N California Ave Chicago Illinois 60625Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 878-8200
- Community First Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.24 miles away5645 W Addison Street Chicago Illinois 60634Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 282-7000
- Methodist Hospital of ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 3.12 miles away5025 N Paulina Street Chicago Illinois 60640Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 271-9040
- Thorek Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.04 miles away850 W Irving Park Rd Chicago Illinois 60613Voluntary non-profit - Private(312) 525-6780
- Aurora Chicago Lakeshore HospitalPsychiatric 4.13 miles away4840 N Marine Dr Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-9700
- Louis a Weiss Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.15 miles away4646 N Marine Drive Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-8700
- Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.32 miles away836 West Wellington Avenue Chicago Illinois 60657Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 975-1600
- Norwegian-American HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.42 miles away1044 N Francisco Ave Chicago Illinois 60622Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 292-8200
- Davita Irving Park Dialysis0.09 miles away4323 N Pulaski Road Chicago Illinois 60641Dialysis Stations: 12 (773) 279-8714
- Nephron Dialysis Center, Ltd.1.76 miles away5140 N. California Ave. Suite 510 Chicago Illinois 60625Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 293-2100
- Fmc - West Belmont1.88 miles away4943 W Belmont Ave. Chicago Illinois 60641CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (773) 685-7500
- Fmc - Northcenter Dialysis2.03 miles away2620 W. Addison St. Chicago Illinois 60618CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 248-0462
- Davita - Logan Square Dialysis Svcs Inc2.1 miles away2838 N Kimball Ave Chicago Illinois 60618CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (773) 342-3738
- Fmc - Logan Square2.27 miles away2721 N Spaulding Chicago Illinois 60647Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 292-2971
- Davita - Montclare Dialysis2.57 miles away7009 W Belmont Avenue Chicago Illinois 60634CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 889-6051
- Davita - Lincoln Park Nephrology Assn, Sc3.42 miles away2484 N. Elston Ave Chicago Illinois 60647CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (773) 278-4403