Elston Nursing & Rehab Centre is a facility located in Chicago, Illinois which has a total of 2,680,484 people. This nursing home was given an F, which is really a rock-bottom score in our grading scheme. Fortunately, if you aren't satisfied with this facility, there are 81 nursing homes to choose from in the city so you should be able to find a better option. Surprisingly, we were able to give this nursing home some positive feedback for our inspections category, which you can find more information about below.
Elston Nursing & Rehab Centre
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Registered Staff Hours
Although we graded this place incredibly poorly overall, it received a relatively impressive government inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our more favorable scores in that area with a B+. Inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A few minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Unfortunately, we gave this facility an F for its nursing grade. Nursing ratings are mostly associated with a nursing home's nurse staffing. This place offered only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is well below average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing grades. This facility fared well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Does this page answer your questions about Elston Nursing & Rehab Centre?
Short-term Care Quality
Another unfortunate development is the F this facility was given in the category of short-term care. In forming these short-term care scores, we assess the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our purpose is to create a barometer for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different facilities. Considering its score in this area, we weren't stunned to find that this facility is well below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its patients based on the data we looked at. Honestly, this was about what we expected here. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 4 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to our fourth area, this facility did not perform very well in this area either. Due to a rock bottom grade of F in long-term care, this is about as terrible as it gets. When nursing homes receive this kind of grade in long-term care it is typically a bad sign for patient care and it may indicate that the place is not as well-staffed with nurses and aids. After considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination data. We were a bit alarmed this nursing home vaccinated 80.859375 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is several points lower than the national average. Surprisingly, this nursing home actually fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had just 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This was its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Elston Nursing & Rehab Centre Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Elston Nursing & Rehab Centre, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Elston Nursing & Rehab Centre, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of long-term residents that sustained falls leading to major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Elston Nursing & Rehab Centre, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a measure of nursing care . UTI's are often linked to a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric may also be misleading for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Elston Nursing & Rehab Centre, 18.4% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term care residents who are prescribed antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Elston Nursing & Rehab Centre, 19.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Elston Nursing & Rehab Centre, 29.8% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Elston Nursing & Rehab Centre, 87.49% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Elston Nursing & Rehab Centre, 14.23% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and taking a bath. Many in the industry would argue this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Elston Nursing & Rehab Centre, 19.34% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who remained mobile levels. Many in the industry would argue that the ability to move around is vital to patients physical and mental health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Elston Nursing & Rehab Centre, 19.34 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Elston Nursing & Rehab Centre, 11.45 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Elston Nursing & Rehab Centre, 71.39% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Chicago, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Chicago, Illinois has 80 other nursing homes
- Swedish Covenant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.88 miles away5145 N California Ave Chicago Illinois 60625Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 878-8200
- Community First Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.24 miles away5645 W Addison Street Chicago Illinois 60634Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 282-7000
- Methodist Hospital of ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 3.12 miles away5025 N Paulina Street Chicago Illinois 60640Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 271-9040
- Thorek Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.04 miles away850 W Irving Park Rd Chicago Illinois 60613Voluntary non-profit - Private(312) 525-6780
- Aurora Chicago Lakeshore HospitalPsychiatric 4.13 miles away4840 N Marine Dr Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-9700
- Louis a Weiss Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.15 miles away4646 N Marine Drive Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-8700
- Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.32 miles away836 West Wellington Avenue Chicago Illinois 60657Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 975-1600
- Norwegian-American HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.42 miles away1044 N Francisco Ave Chicago Illinois 60622Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 292-8200
- Davita Irving Park Dialysis0.09 miles away4323 N Pulaski Road Chicago Illinois 60641Dialysis Stations: 12 (773) 279-8714
- Nephron Dialysis Center, Ltd.1.76 miles away5140 N. California Ave. Suite 510 Chicago Illinois 60625Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 293-2100
- Fmc - West Belmont1.88 miles away4943 W Belmont Ave. Chicago Illinois 60641CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (773) 685-7500
- Fmc - Northcenter Dialysis2.03 miles away2620 W. Addison St. Chicago Illinois 60618CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 248-0462
- Davita - Logan Square Dialysis Svcs Inc2.1 miles away2838 N Kimball Ave Chicago Illinois 60618CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (773) 342-3738
- Fmc - Logan Square2.27 miles away2721 N Spaulding Chicago Illinois 60647Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 292-2971
- Davita - Montclare Dialysis2.57 miles away7009 W Belmont Avenue Chicago Illinois 60634CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 889-6051
- Davita - Lincoln Park Nephrology Assn, Sc3.42 miles away2484 N. Elston Ave Chicago Illinois 60647CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (773) 278-4403