Located in Elizabeth, New Jersey, Elmora Hills Health & Rehabilitation Center is one of a mere three facilities in the city. Featuring an overall grade of B+, this is a strong facility. We were pleased to find out that this matched the average grade of nursing homes in Elizabeth, which is one of the better cities in New Jersey to find a nursing home. The best aspect of this facility's impressive report card was its inspection rating. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph
Elmora Hills Health & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving an elite overall grade, this nursing home also received an A+ inspection grade. This grade is based on the facility's recent inspection reports. An A+ in this area is one of the best complements we can offer a nursing home. These inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Contributing to its profile, this nursing home also earned a score of B+ for its short-term care rating. This is an above average grade in this area. In the category of short-term care, we strive to evaluate indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We assess a facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like this facility submitted registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. The last measure we looked at in this area is the percentage of residents who eventually returned home from the nursing home. We found that 5.9 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Elmora Hills Health & Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to another strength for this facility, we awarded them one of our better scores in our long-term care category as well, with a grade of B+. Nursing homes that excel in long-term care typically provide residents with more supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. Once we finished looking at the quantity of nursing care, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia is too frequently a deadly illness for nursing home patients so we strongly prefer when a nursing home does not leave this to chance. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
The last category we looked at is nursing. This nursing home received a very good nursing rating in our assessment, with a B-. Although this was not as dominant as some of its other scores, this is still a respectable grade in this category. There are numerous subcategories included in this category. Most of the factors relate to levels of nurse staffing. This facility provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is a lower figure than we were hoping for. Finally, our nursing grades also consider quality-based measures, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this nursing home actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is usually an indicator that a place has sufficient quality controls in place. Some falls could be avoided if a nursing home supplies enough nurses to assist its residents.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Elmora Hills Health & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Elmora Hills Health & Rehabilitation Center, 9.57% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Elmora Hills Health & Rehabilitation Center, 2.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are considered to be a measure of nursing care . Major falls are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Elmora Hills Health & Rehabilitation Center, 1.73% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients who experienced a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be an indicator of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this statistic can be misleading for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Elmora Hills Health & Rehabilitation Center, 10.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. These drugs may be used for several medical conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Elmora Hills Health & Rehabilitation Center, 17.5% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term care residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Elmora Hills Health & Rehabilitation Center, 5.81% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients showing depressive symptoms. High rates of depression could be an indicator a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Elmora Hills Health & Rehabilitation Center, 92% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these types of vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Elmora Hills Health & Rehabilitation Center, 10.99% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of the deterioration of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Elmora Hills Health & Rehabilitation Center, 14.79% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that were able to retain mobility. Some experts would argue that the ability to move around is important for patients health.
In Elmora Hills Health & Rehabilitation Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Elmora Hills Health & Rehabilitation Center, 14.79 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Elmora Hills Health & Rehabilitation Center, 8.17 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Elmora Hills Health & Rehabilitation Center, 80.57% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with activities of daily living typically correlates with better rehabilitation.
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.59 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- Newark Beth Israel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.32 miles away201 Lyons Ave Newark New Jersey 07112Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 926-7850
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at RahwayAcute Care Hospitals 5.05 miles away865 Stone St Rahway New Jersey 07065Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 381-4200
- University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.7 miles away150 Bergen St Newark New Jersey 07101Government - State(973) 972-5658
- Carepoint Health - Bayonne Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.81 miles away29 East 29th St Bayonne New Jersey 07002Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 858-5000
- East Orange General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.34 miles away300 Central Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 266-4401
- Richmond University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.36 miles away355 Bard Avenue Staten Island New York 10310Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 818-1234
- Overlook Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.5 miles away99 Beauvoir Avenue Summit New Jersey 07902Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 522-2000
- Trinitas Hospital0.63 miles awayDialysis Unit 225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Dialysis Stations: 14 (908) 994-5203
- Fmc Elizabeth Dc1.68 miles away595 Division Street Suite B Elizabeth New Jersey 07201CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (908) 436-3007
- Trinitas Livingston St2.42 miles awayDialysis Unit 629 Livingston St Elizabethport New Jersey 07206Dialysis Stations: 14 (908) 994-7011
- Davita Hillside Dialysis Ctr2.66 miles away1529 North Broad Street Hillside New Jersey 07205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 474-1199
- Trinitas Sat Linden2.68 miles away10 North Wood Ave Suite G Linden New Jersey 07036Dialysis Stations: 15 (908) 862-7400
- Davita Parkside Dc3.05 miles away580 Frelinghuysen Avenue Newark New Jersey 07114CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 624-2226
- Fmc Kenilworth3.07 miles away131 South 31st Street Kenilworth New Jersey 07033CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (908) 241-0453
- Fmc Linden Dialysis3.36 miles away630 West St. Georges Ave Linden New Jersey 07036CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (908) 925-5161