Elmhurst Extended Care Center is an average-sized nursing home in Elmhurst, Illinois. With an overall grade of B, this looks like a very respectable nursing home. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Elmhurst. Fortunately, this nursing home didn't have any bad scores in any of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Elmhurst Extended Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
To pair with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home an A for short-term care. Our short-term care ratings are based on a facility's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a wide spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, not to mention other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final statistic we considered in this area is the number of patients who returned home from the facility. We found that 6.2 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
This facility received high grades in the area of nursing as well. In fact, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A-. Nursing scores are mostly associated with the nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place Illinois in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of moving patients more often.
Does this page answer your questions about Elmhurst Extended Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home a middle of the road grade in the category of long-term care, where we gave it a B-. Our long-term care grades are critical for patients seeking non-healthcare services such as personal care. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 81.48148 percent of its patients. This is several points less than the national average. Fortunately, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Turning to the last category of inspections, this was not one of this facility's better grades. Inspection grades are based on a facility's recent government inspection reports. We gave this nursing home a score of C in this category. Our inspection grades are tied to many data points located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important thing to look for on these reports. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to resident safety. This nursing home had 6 deficiencies on its government inspection report, but fortunately none were category G through L deficiencies. This tells you this facility avoided the more serious classes of deficiencies. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Elmhurst Extended Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Elmhurst Extended Care Center, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term residents that suffer from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Elmhurst Extended Care Center, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term patients which sustained falls resulting in severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indication of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Elmhurst Extended Care Center, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term care patients who have sustained a urinary tract infection. While a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it is difficult to compare between facilities due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Elmhurst Extended Care Center, 18.4% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs are sometimes used for several medical conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Elmhurst Extended Care Center, 19.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Elmhurst Extended Care Center, 29.8% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who are showing symptoms of depression. Increased levels of depression could be a sign a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Elmhurst Extended Care Center, 87.49% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Elmhurst Extended Care Center, 14.23% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Elmhurst Extended Care Center, 19.34% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term care patients who were able to retain mobility. Some would argue that mobility is vital to patients physical and mental well-being.
In Elmhurst Extended Care Center, 1.51 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Elmhurst Extended Care Center, 19.34 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Elmhurst Extended Care Center, 11.45 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Elmhurst Extended Care Center, 71.39% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Elmhurst, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Elmhurst, Illinois has 3 other nursing homes
- Elmhurst Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.42 miles away155 East Brush Hill Road Elmhurst Illinois 60126Proprietary(331) 221-0130
- Westlake HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.61 miles away1225 Lake St Melrose Park Illinois 60160Voluntary non-profit - Other(708) 938-4000
- Loyola Gottlieb Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.82 miles away701 West North Ave Melrose Park Illinois 60160Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 681-3200
- Loyola University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.34 miles away2160 S 1st Avenue Maywood Illinois 60153Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 216-9000
- Rush Oak Park HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.08 miles away520 S Maple Ave Oak Park Illinois 60304Voluntary non-profit - Church(708) 383-9300
- Adventist Hinsdale HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.36 miles away120 North Oak St Hinsdale Illinois 60521Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 856-9000
- Advocate Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.46 miles away3815 Highland Avenue Downers Grove Illinois 60515Voluntary non-profit - Church(630) 275-5900
- Alexian Brothers Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 7.6 miles away800 W Biesterfield Rd Elk Grove Village Illinois 60007Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 437-5500
- Davita Salt Creek Dialysis2.09 miles away196 W. North Avenue Villa Park Illinois 60181Dialysis Stations: 12 (630) 279-3350
- Usrc - Villa Park Home Therapies3.14 miles away202 East North Avenue Villa Park Illinois 60181Dialysis Stations: 1 (630) 415-3458
- Fmc - Elmhurst Dialysis Center3.34 miles away133 E. Brush Hill Rd. Elmhurst Illinois 60126CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (630) 833-1446
- Fmc - North Avenue Dialysis Center3.78 miles away911 W. North Avenue Melrose Park Illinois 60160CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (708) 344-6122
- Nx Stage Kidney Care4.09 miles away1600 W 16th St Ste 13 Oak Brook Illinois 60523Dialysis Stations: 8 (630) 475-4340
- Nocturnal Dialysis Spa4.24 miles away1634 S. Ardmore Ave Villa Park Illinois 60181Dialysis Stations: 13 (630) 812-7933
- Fmc - Neomedica - Melrose Park4.69 miles away1111 Superior St Ste 204 Melrose Park Illinois 60160CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (708) 338-1780
- Fmc - Westchester4.95 miles away2400 Wolf Road, Suite 101 A Westchester Illinois 60154CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (708) 409-7780