Elmhurst Extended Care Center is an average-sized nursing home in Elmhurst, Illinois. With an overall grade of D, this is a relatively poor facility. Based on our analysis, this nursing home likely isn't the best fit for most prospective residents. We would not blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, we will discuss nursing in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Elmhurst Extended Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Note: Elmhurst Extended Care Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Elmhurst senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we gave this nursing home a poor overall grade, we actually gave it a fairly respectable grade in the area of nursing, where it received a B-. This was better than its other category grades. Nursing ratings are tied to nurse staffing levels. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics. While this facility got docked a bit for nursing hours, it actually excelled in some of these quality measures. With fewer than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it fared well in this subcategory. This is typically an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as having a system of moving patients more frequently.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility was given its next best category grade in the area of short-term care. We gave this facility a grade of B- in this area, which is an acceptable grade. In determining these short-term care grades, we analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The objective is to create a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. We were surprised to find that this facility was below average in the two key staffing areas we looked at. In fact, it supplied fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.4 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Elmhurst Extended Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next most favorable category is its long-term care grade, where it was given a B-. In the area of long-term care, we assess the quantity of care provided by a facility, rather than more sophisticated services. After considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination statistics. We were somewhat surprised to discover that this facility vaccinated just 89.55224 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Nevertheless, this facility keeps its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Turning our last area of inspections, this facility received an F here. When a nursing home has this bad of an inspection score, you should expect some severe deficiencies on its inspection report. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to resident safety. This facility was assessed 6 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only positive thing we found is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they caused a risk to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We would not recommend this facility under any circumstance.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Elmhurst Extended Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Elmhurst Extended Care Center, 6.36% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Elmhurst Extended Care Center, 6.72% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Major falls leading to injury are routinely the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Elmhurst Extended Care Center, 4.88% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Elmhurst Extended Care Center, 42.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term care patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such medications aren't medically indicated. However, some nursing homes may need to rely on these drugs due to having more residents with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Elmhurst Extended Care Center, 16% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Elmhurst Extended Care Center, 0% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Elmhurst Extended Care Center, 83.01% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Elmhurst Extended Care Center, 17.89% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Elmhurst Extended Care Center, 15.59% of Residents
This is the percent of patients that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Elmhurst Extended Care Center, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Elmhurst Extended Care Center, 15.59% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Elmhurst Extended Care Center, 15.43% of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Elmhurst Extended Care Center, 74.86% of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's often correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
- Elmhurst Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.42 miles away155 East Brush Hill Road Elmhurst Illinois 60126Proprietary(331) 221-0130
- Westlake HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.61 miles away1225 Lake St Melrose Park Illinois 60160Voluntary non-profit - Other(708) 938-4000
- Loyola Gottlieb Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.82 miles away701 West North Ave Melrose Park Illinois 60160Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 681-3200
- Loyola University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.34 miles away2160 S 1st Avenue Maywood Illinois 60153Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 216-9000
- Rush Oak Park HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.08 miles away520 S Maple Ave Oak Park Illinois 60304Voluntary non-profit - Church(708) 383-9300
- Adventist Hinsdale HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.36 miles away120 North Oak St Hinsdale Illinois 60521Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 856-9000
- Advocate Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.46 miles away3815 Highland Avenue Downers Grove Illinois 60515Voluntary non-profit - Church(630) 275-5900
- Alexian Brothers Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 7.6 miles away800 W Biesterfield Rd Elk Grove Village Illinois 60007Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 437-5500
- Davita Salt Creek Dialysis2.09 miles away196 W. North Avenue Villa Park Illinois 60181Dialysis Stations: 12 (630) 279-3350
- Usrc - Villa Park Home Therapies3.14 miles away202 East North Avenue Villa Park Illinois 60181Dialysis Stations: 1 (630) 415-3458
- Fmc - Elmhurst Dialysis Center3.34 miles away133 E. Brush Hill Rd. Elmhurst Illinois 60126CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (630) 833-1446
- Fmc - North Avenue Dialysis Center3.78 miles away911 W. North Avenue Melrose Park Illinois 60160CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (708) 344-6122
- Nx Stage Kidney Care4.09 miles away1600 W 16th St Ste 13 Oak Brook Illinois 60523Dialysis Stations: 8 (630) 475-4340
- Nocturnal Dialysis Spa4.24 miles away1634 S. Ardmore Ave Villa Park Illinois 60181Dialysis Stations: 13 (630) 812-7933
- Fmc - Neomedica - Melrose Park4.69 miles away1111 Superior St Ste 204 Melrose Park Illinois 60160CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (708) 338-1780
- Fmc - Westchester4.95 miles away2400 Wolf Road, Suite 101 A Westchester Illinois 60154CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (708) 409-7780