Ellicott City Health & Rehabilitation Center is a senior living facility located in Ellicott City, Maryland, a city with a total of 80,322 people. Our scoring scheme was not very kind to this nursing home, as it received an overall rating of F. Based on our assessment, this place likely isn't a fit for anyone. More information on this facility's category grades may be found below. Its best category is short-term care, which is discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Ellicott City Health & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Note: Ellicott City Health & Rehabilitation Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Ellicott City senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Although we gave this facility a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a grade of C for our short-term care rating. Our short-term care ratings are arguably most important for folks requiring a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not just nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. In this nursing home's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than a typical facility. The hope is that this does not adversely affect the quality of care. The last datapoint we looked at in this area is the percentage of residents that ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that just 5.4 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home. This figure was below average.
This facility excelled in our nursing category, where it received an C. Few nursing homes performed better in this category. Nursing scores are primarily based on a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, while this nursing home got docked a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it actually excelled in a few of our quality-based measures. With less than five percent of its patients sustaining pressure ulcers, it did very well in this statistic.
Does this page answer your questions about Ellicott City Health & Rehabilitation Center?
This facility received very poor inspections in recent years, causing them to receive an F for inspections. An F in this category is usually a sign that we found red flags on the facility's inspection reports. You should pay special attention to any deficiencies on a nursing home's inspection reports when it receives this bad of an inspection score. We would scrutinize the severity of those deficiencies. This particular facility was assessed 5 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only favorable thing we found is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they caused a threat to resident safety or health. Finally, CMS flagged this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. This is not what you want to see. We advise you to direct your search elsewhere.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we looked at was long-term care. This facility received a poor grade of F in this area. When facilities receive this type of grade in this category it is often a bad sign for patient care and it may indicate that the nursing home is not as well-staffed with nurses and aids. One of the factors we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccines. We were a bit alarmed this nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccination to only 87.005646 percent of its residents. Surprisingly, this place was actually decent at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Ellicott City Health & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Ellicott City Health & Rehabilitation Center, 12.64% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Ellicott City Health & Rehabilitation Center, 1.88% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Major falls are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Ellicott City Health & Rehabilitation Center, 0.76% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Ellicott City Health & Rehabilitation Center, 18.79% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for a variety of conditions, including dementia. Unfortunately, in some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Ellicott City Health & Rehabilitation Center, 7.03% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term care residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Ellicott City Health & Rehabilitation Center, 15.16% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Some would argue this is a measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Ellicott City Health & Rehabilitation Center, 92.12% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Ellicott City Health & Rehabilitation Center, 22.63% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and eating. Many would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Ellicott City Health & Rehabilitation Center, 31.61% of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Ellicott City Health & Rehabilitation Center, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is critical to maintaining the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Ellicott City Health & Rehabilitation Center, 31.61% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Ellicott City Health & Rehabilitation Center, 9.3% of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Ellicott City Health & Rehabilitation Center, 76.84% of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with ADL's often correlates with superior rehabilitation.
- Northwest Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.23 miles away5401 Old Court Road Randallstown Maryland 21133Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 521-2200
- Howard County General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.41 miles away5755 Cedar Lane Columbia Maryland 21044Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 740-7890
- Saint Agnes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.04 miles away900 Caton Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21229Voluntary non-profit - Church(410) 368-2101
- Bon Secours HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.15 miles away2000 W Baltimore Street Baltimore Maryland 21223Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 362-3000
- Sinai Hospital of BaltimoreAcute Care Hospitals 9.61 miles away2401 West Belvedere Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21215Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 601-5131
- University of Maryland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.48 miles away22 South Greene Street Baltimore Maryland 21201Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 328-8667
- University of Md Medical Center Midtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 10.66 miles away827 Linden Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21201Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 225-8996
- Mercy Medical Center IncAcute Care Hospitals 11.01 miles away301 Saint Paul Place Baltimore Maryland 21202Voluntary non-profit - Church(410) 332-9237
- Davita-Ellicott Kidney Center LLC0.04 miles away3000 N Ridge Rd Ellicott City Maryland 21043Dialysis Stations: 7 (410) 465-0273
- Ellicott City Dialysis Center LLC1.21 miles away3419 Plum Tree Drive Suites 103-106 Ellicott City Maryland 21042CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (410) 750-8426
- Kidney Home Center3.79 miles away2270 Rolling Run Drive Suite 600 Windsor Mill Maryland 21244Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 265-0618
- Davita - Windsor Dialysis4.29 miles away2707 Rolling Rd Stes 104-105 Windsor Mill Maryland 21244CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (410) 944-2649
- Davita - Catonsville North Dialysis5.49 miles away5401 Baltimore National Pike Baltimore Maryland 21229Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 869-4618
- Fresenius Medical Care Randallstown LLC5.6 miles away9109 Liberty Rd Randallstown Maryland 21133Dialysis Stations: 12 (410) 655-1076
- Davita - Howard County6.02 miles away5999 Harpers Farm Rd Ste E-110 Columbia Maryland 21044CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (410) 997-4244
- Courtland Dialysis, LLC6.43 miles away7920 Scotts Level Road Pikesville Maryland 21208Dialysis Stations: 9 (410) 922-5129