Elkins Crest Health & Rehabilitation Center is a senior living facility located in Elkins Park, Pennsylvania. The city has 19,067 people. Featuring an overall score of C, this is likely a decent nursing home. At the end of the day, this facility ought to be a solid choice for quite a few people. This facility didn't excel in all of our categories, but it didn't receive any terrible grades either. More information about its category grades is available below.
Elkins Crest Health & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Adult Day Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall grade was not bad, it really fared well in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A+ for that category, which is one of our highest scores. Our inspection grades account for several factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher scores in this category tend to have very few of these severe deficiencies. This nursing home was assessed 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This indicates that CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies to pose an imminent risk to patient safety or health. A couple of minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's short-term care score appears to be one of its more favorable features. The nursing home was awarded a grade of B- in this category. In crafting our short-term care scores, we look at the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our goal is to create a measure for comparing the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. We found that this place was below average in the two key staffing areas we looked at. In fact, it offered fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. The final statistic we looked at in this category is the number of patients that ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that just 5.6 percent of this facility's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Elkins Crest Health & Rehabilitation Center?
Moving on to another strength for this facility, it also received an elite nursing grade. We gave this facility a grade of D. We assessed the skill-level of nurses at the nursing home, in addition to the number of hours those nurses spent with patients, in computing our score in this category. This place provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing scores. This place fared well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these datapoints to be indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we rated was long-term care, which turned out to be this nursing home's least impressive area. We gave this nursing home a D in this area. Long-term care grades in this range generally are a bad sign for the quantity and quality of care provided by nurses and aids, as well as the levels of routine medical care available. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. We were a bit bothered by the fact that this nursing home administered the vaccine to just 79.12088 percent of its patients. To our surprise, this place actually fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This was its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Elkins Crest Health & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Elkins Crest Health & Rehabilitation Center, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Elkins Crest Health & Rehabilitation Center, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This gauges the percent of long-term care patients who sustained falls resulting in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Elkins Crest Health & Rehabilitation Center, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of long-term care patients which suffered from a urinary tract infection. While more infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it is problematic to compare between facilities due to facilities having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Elkins Crest Health & Rehabilitation Center, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to patients for a variety of medical conditions, including dementia. Unfortunately, in limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Elkins Crest Health & Rehabilitation Center, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Elkins Crest Health & Rehabilitation Center, 3.12% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents demonstrating signs of depression. Many in the industry would argue this is a reasonable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Elkins Crest Health & Rehabilitation Center, 88.22% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Elkins Crest Health & Rehabilitation Center, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Elkins Crest Health & Rehabilitation Center, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients that maintained mobility. Many in the industry argue that mobility is critical to residents' health.
In Elkins Crest Health & Rehabilitation Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is critical to maintaining the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Elkins Crest Health & Rehabilitation Center, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Elkins Crest Health & Rehabilitation Center, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Elkins Crest Health & Rehabilitation Center, 72.59% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Jeanes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.77 miles away7600 Central Avenue Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19111Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 728-2000
- Holy Redeemer Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.82 miles away1648 Huntingdon Pike Jenkintown Pennsylvania 19046Voluntary non-profit - Church(215) 947-3000
- Nazareth HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.13 miles away2601 Holme Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19152Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 335-6000
- Albert Einstein Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.37 miles away5501 Old York Road Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19141Voluntary non-profit - Other(215) 456-6090
- Abington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.42 miles away1200 Old York Road Abington Pennsylvania 19001Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 481-2000
- St Christopher's Hospital for ChildrenChildrens 4.68 miles away160 East Erie Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19134Proprietary(215) 427-5000
- Temple University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.43 miles away3401 North Broad Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19140Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 707-2000
- Chestnut Hill HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.87 miles away8835 Germantown Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19118Proprietary(215) 248-8200
- Bio Medical Applications of Pennsylvania, Inc.0.91 miles away700 Cottman Avenue, Building A Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19111Dialysis Stations: 13 (215) 745-3183
- Davita - Huntingdon Valley Dialysis1.23 miles away769 Huntingdon Pike Huntingdon Valley Pennsylvania 19006CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (215) 379-1788
- Northeast Philadelphia Dialysis Center1.36 miles away518 Knorr Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19111Dialysis Stations: 16 (215) 745-4859
- Sahara Dialysis, LLC1.69 miles away133 Cheltenham Avenue Cheltenham Pennsylvania 19012CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (215) 635-1870
- Reliant Renal Care - Cheltenham, LLC2.03 miles away7107 Old York Road Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19126Dialysis Stations: 10 (267) 297-8069
- Bio-Medical Applications of Pennsylvania, Inc.2.17 miles away301 W. Chelten Avenue Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19144Dialysis Stations: 13 (215) 844-1976
- Davita Cottman Kidney Center2.29 miles away7198 Castor Avenue Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19149CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (215) 745-4060
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Northeast Philadelphia2.44 miles away900 East Howell Street, Suite A Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19149Dialysis Stations: 20 (215) 831-6170