Eisenhower Healthcare Center is a small nursing home located in Pasadena, California. This nursing home received an overall grade of D, which is a relatively poor score. Based on our ratings, this nursing home may not be a great fit for most people. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this facility's profile is its strong inspection grade. You can scroll down to learn more about inspections and other category grades
Eisenhower Healthcare Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
1470 N Fair Oaks Ave,
Pasadena CA 91103
85.49% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
While we did not rate this place favorably overall, we want to point out its relatively favorable government inspections in recent years. We gave it a B+ in this category, which is much better than its overall score. Inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this place had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G through L. This means CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Building on its strong resume, this nursing home also received an excellent nursing rating, with a grade of B. Our nursing rating is primarily based on the facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 3.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Eisenhower Healthcare Center?
Long-term Care Quality
As it turns out, this nursing home only earned a grade of D for its long-term care score, which is not one of our better scores. For patients in need of a permanent residence as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care is a very important category. Once we finished looking at the quantity of nursing care, we then looked at the facility's vaccination record. We were optimistic to find that this nursing home vaccinates 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia. To our surprise, this place also was not as bad as we expected at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Although it had 1.87 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, its risk adjusted score was not bad since it had more complex patients.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we graded was short-term care. Unfortunately, we gave it a lowly F for this category, which is a poor grade. In the category of short-term care, we try to assess measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. In this nursing home's case, we found that it actually provides far less registered nurse hours per resident than a typical nursing home. Given its grade in this category, this did not surprise us. Finally, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. This definitely was not a strength for this facility. We found that just 24.9 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most facilities, around half of their residents are able to return home so this is well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Eisenhower Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Eisenhower Healthcare Center, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Eisenhower Healthcare Center, 1.66% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls leading to injury are routinely caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Eisenhower Healthcare Center, 1.19% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often linked to worse hygiene protocols. More frequent bathing can limit the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Keep in mind that this metric is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Eisenhower Healthcare Center, 9.98% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Eisenhower Healthcare Center, 13.87% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Eisenhower Healthcare Center, 4.32% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Eisenhower Healthcare Center, 96.21% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Eisenhower Healthcare Center, 8.35% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Eisenhower Healthcare Center, 14.01% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Eisenhower Healthcare Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Eisenhower Healthcare Center, 14.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Eisenhower Healthcare Center, 9.82 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Eisenhower Healthcare Center, 79.69% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Pasadena, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Pasadena, California has 14 other nursing homes
- Huntington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.44 miles away100 W California Blvd Pasadena California 91109Voluntary non-profit - Other(626) 397-5000
- Usc Verdugo Hills HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.48 miles away1812 Verdugo Blvd Glendale California 91209Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 790-7100
- Glendale Adventist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.76 miles away1509 E Wilson Terrace Glendale California 91206Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 409-8202
- San Gabriel Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.46 miles away438 W Las Tunas Drive San Gabriel California 91776Proprietary(626) 289-5454
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 6.73 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.75 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Garfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.35 miles away525 N Garfield Ave Monterey Park California 91754Proprietary(626) 573-2222
- Lac+Usc Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.34 miles away1200 N State St, Room c2k100 Los Angeles California 90033Government - Local(323) 226-2800
- Davita-Huntington Dialysis2.22 miles away390 S. Fair Oaks Blvd. Pasadena California 91105Dialysis Stations: 25 (626) 564-2818
- Fmc-Liberty West Pasadena2.67 miles away757 S. Raymond Avenue Pasadena California 91105Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 396-6957
- Huntington Dialysis Center2.71 miles away806 S. Fair Oaks Avenue Pasadena California 91105CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (626) 792-0548
- Fmc-Arroyo Dialysis Center2.71 miles away1111 S. Arroyo Parkway, Suite 150 Pasadena California 91105CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 441-9500
- Davita-Eaton Canyon Dialysis3.05 miles away2551 E. Washington Blvd. Pasadena California 91107CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (626) 798-8896
- u.s. Renal Care Verdugo Hills Dialysis4.32 miles away1808 Verdugo Blvd., Suite 200 Glendale California 91208Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 790-0712
- Davita-North Glendale4.79 miles away1505 Wilson Terrace, Suite 190 Glendale California 91206CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (818) 637-8348
- Davita-Pasadena Foothills Dialysis Center4.83 miles away3722 E. Colorado Blvd. Pasadena California 91107CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 432-4331