Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation is an average-sized nursing home in Byram, Mississippi. This nursing home received an overall grade of B+, which is very good rating. Based on our assessment, this place has quite a bit going for it. Fortunately, this facility did not have any bad scores in any of the major categories discussed below. Additional information about these categories is available below.
Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
205 Byram Parkway,
Byram MS 39272
92.1% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing these inspection scores. One key factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some are relatively insignificant. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
We also gave this facility a score of A for our long-term care score. In a long-term care environment, the nursing home's primary goal is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 93.83033 percent of its residents, which is slightly lower than we were hoping for. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to our third area, this nursing home also received a score of B for its short-term care rating. This is a well above average grade in this category. Our short-term care grade is commonly employed to score a facility's rehabilitation services In order to provide good rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must feature higher levels of highly skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. It doesn't look like this facility provided information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. The last measure we considered in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We found that 6.1 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
The final category we graded was nursing. This facility received a very good nursing grade in our assessment, with a C. While this is not quite as good as many of its other category grades, this is still an acceptable rating in this category. Nursing grades are based largely on nurse staffing levels. This facility provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is a lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, nursing scores also factor in quality-based measures, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this place performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is often an indicator that a place has quality controls in place. Many falls could be avoided if a nursing home supplies enough nurses aids to assist its patients.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 10.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 3.26% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a fall resulting in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 3.03% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 20.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 22.76% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term patients who are prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 2.3% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 93.75% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 18.95% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of the decline of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 20.82% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who remained mobile levels. Many in the industry believe that mobility is important for residents' mental and physical health.
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 1.95 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is critical to the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 20.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 13.63 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 69.18% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with activities of daily living generally correlates with successful rehabilitation.
- Merit Health CentralAcute Care Hospitals 7.11 miles away1850 Chadwick Dr Jackson Mississippi 39204Proprietary(601) 376-1000
- Mississippi Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.5 miles away1225 N State St Jackson Mississippi 39202Voluntary non-profit - Private(601) 968-1000
- University of Mississippi Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.44 miles away2500 N State St Jackson Mississippi 39216Government - State(601) 984-4100
- St Dominic-Jackson Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.05 miles away969 Lakeland Dr Jackson Mississippi 39216Voluntary non-profit - Church(601) 200-2000
- Merit Health River OaksAcute Care Hospitals 13.78 miles away1030 River Oaks Drive Flowood Mississippi 39232Proprietary(601) 932-1030
- Brentwood Behavioral Healthcare of MsPsychiatric 14.39 miles away3531 East Lakeland Drive Flowood Mississippi 39232Proprietary(601) 936-2024
- Merit Health RankinAcute Care Hospitals 15.52 miles away350 Crossgates Blvd Brandon Mississippi 39042Proprietary(601) 825-2811
- Isd Renal Inc6.5 miles away1828 Raymond Road Jackson Mississippi 39204CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (601) 373-7897
- Fmc Southwest Jackson6.88 miles away1856 Hospital Drive Jackson Mississippi 39204CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (601) 371-2896
- Isd Renal Inc7.1 miles away1015 I-20 Frontage Rd Jackson Mississippi 39204CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (601) 373-9154
- Bio-Medical Applications of Mississippi, Inc.10.02 miles away656 North State Street Jackson Mississippi 39202Dialysis Stations: 10 (601) 944-0151
- Lakeland Home Program, LLC10.08 miles away105 Johnston Place Clinton Mississippi 39056Dialysis Stations: 14 (601) 925-9296
- Fresenius Medical Care Southwest Jackson Home10.74 miles away1421 N State Street Suite 501 Jackson Mississippi 39202Dialysis Stations: 2 (601) 292-1545
- Medical Mall Dialysis10.99 miles away350 W. Woodrow Wilson Md-224 Jackson Mississippi 39213Dialysis Stations: 48 (601) 815-6345
- Fmc Jackson12.15 miles away381 Medical Drive Jackson Mississippi 39216CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 38 (601) 981-9652