Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation is an average-sized nursing home in Byram, Mississippi. This nursing home was awarded an A- overall, which is a high-end rating. You simply can not do much better than this place. This nursing home was also given impressive ratings in all four of our categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Byram senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this ended up being a great nursing home is it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. Inspection grades account for several factors found on a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher grades in this area typically have few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Among its many dominant scores, this facility received a top-shelf long-term care grade. In fact, we gave it a grade of A in that area. Facilities that receive this kind of score in this category tend to provide consistent around the clock care to make sure residents are well cared for. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 97.70408 percent of its patients, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia can be a life threatening illness for nursing home residents so we prefer when a nursing home does not roll the dice on this issue. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility was given a strong short-term care score as well. We awarded it one of our better scores in that area with a score of B+. In the category of short-term care, we seek to qualify indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Unfortunately, we were not able to track down registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. Finally, we looked at the number of patients that ultimately returned home from this nursing home. We found that 6.1 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
The last area we graded proved to be this nursing home's worst category. However, even its lowest point would be a strength for many facilities. We gave it a strong grade of B in our nursing category. Our nursing grade is primarily associated with a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 10.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 3.39% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term patients who have suffered falls leading to serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 2.89% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 21.33% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 21.99% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term patients who are prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 1.78% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 93.49% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 18.69% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of the decline of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 17.05% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who remained mobile levels. Many in the industry believe that mobility is important for residents' mental and physical health.
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 2.16 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is critical to the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 17.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 15.26 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 67.34% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with activities of daily living generally correlates with successful rehabilitation.
- Merit Health CentralAcute Care Hospitals 7.11 miles away1850 Chadwick Dr Jackson Mississippi 39204Proprietary(601) 376-1000
- Mississippi Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.5 miles away1225 N State St Jackson Mississippi 39202Voluntary non-profit - Private(601) 968-1000
- University of Mississippi Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.44 miles away2500 N State St Jackson Mississippi 39216Government - State(601) 984-4100
- St Dominic-Jackson Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.05 miles away969 Lakeland Dr Jackson Mississippi 39216Voluntary non-profit - Church(601) 200-2000
- Merit Health River OaksAcute Care Hospitals 13.78 miles away1030 River Oaks Drive Flowood Mississippi 39232Proprietary(601) 932-1030
- Brentwood Behavioral Healthcare of MsPsychiatric 14.39 miles away3531 East Lakeland Drive Flowood Mississippi 39232Proprietary(601) 936-2024
- Merit Health RankinAcute Care Hospitals 15.52 miles away350 Crossgates Blvd Brandon Mississippi 39042Proprietary(601) 825-2811
- Isd Renal Inc6.5 miles away1828 Raymond Road Jackson Mississippi 39204CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (601) 373-7897
- Fmc Southwest Jackson6.88 miles away1856 Hospital Drive Jackson Mississippi 39204CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (601) 371-2896
- Isd Renal Inc7.1 miles away1015 I-20 Frontage Rd Jackson Mississippi 39204CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (601) 373-9154
- Bio-Medical Applications of Mississippi, Inc.10.02 miles away656 North State Street Jackson Mississippi 39202Dialysis Stations: 10 (601) 944-0151
- Lakeland Home Program, LLC10.08 miles away105 Johnston Place Clinton Mississippi 39056Dialysis Stations: 14 (601) 925-9296
- Fresenius Medical Care Southwest Jackson Home10.74 miles away1421 N State Street Suite 501 Jackson Mississippi 39202Dialysis Stations: 2 (601) 292-1545
- Medical Mall Dialysis10.99 miles away350 W. Woodrow Wilson Md-224 Jackson Mississippi 39213Dialysis Stations: 48 (601) 815-6345
- Fmc Jackson12.15 miles away381 Medical Drive Jackson Mississippi 39216CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 38 (601) 981-9652