Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation is an average-sized nursing home in Byram, Mississippi. This nursing home received an overall grade of B, which is favorable rating. Based on our assessment, this place has quite a bit going for it. This place's impressive profile was highlighted by its inspection score, which you can find in the next section.
Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a strong facility overall, this nursing home excelled in our inspections category, where it received an A+. Not many nursing homes fared better in that category. Inspection scores weigh several factors included in a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher scores in this area usually have few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Among the reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it received a strong long-term care grade. Indeed, long-term care is its second most impressive category score. In that category, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A. For long-term care residents, the facility's primary goal is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. After looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 93.86667 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is somewhat less than we expected but still a decent figure. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation?
This nursing home's next best category was nursing. We awarded it a grade of C in this category. While this wasn't quite as good as some of its other category grades, this isn't a bad score either. There are a variety of subcategories included in this grade. Most of the subcategories are tied to staffing levels. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Lastly, nursing grades also consider quality-based measures, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this place actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is often a reliable indicator that a place has sufficient quality controls in place. Many falls can be avoided if a facility provides enough nurses aids to assist its patients.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we graded is short-term care, which turned out to be this facility's least impressive area. We awarded this facility a D in that category. Unfortunately, this score hurt the nursing home's overall profile a bit. In the area of short-term care, we seek to evaluate indicators of a facility's rehabilitation. We look at a facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Unfortunately, we discovered that this place offers less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most nursing homes. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients that who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.2 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 10.98% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 3.19% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that sustained a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 3.13% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often associated with poor nursing care. Better hygiene protocols limits the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 20.09% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This gauges the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 22.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 2.34% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 93.38% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 19.45% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 23.26% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 23.26 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 13.82 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Edgewood Health & Rehabilitation, 68.23% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements.
- Merit Health CentralAcute Care Hospitals 7.11 miles away1850 Chadwick Dr Jackson Mississippi 39204Proprietary(601) 376-1000
- Mississippi Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.5 miles away1225 N State St Jackson Mississippi 39202Voluntary non-profit - Private(601) 968-1000
- University of Mississippi Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.44 miles away2500 N State St Jackson Mississippi 39216Government - State(601) 984-4100
- St Dominic-Jackson Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.05 miles away969 Lakeland Dr Jackson Mississippi 39216Voluntary non-profit - Church(601) 200-2000
- Merit Health River OaksAcute Care Hospitals 13.78 miles away1030 River Oaks Drive Flowood Mississippi 39232Proprietary(601) 932-1030
- Brentwood Behavioral Healthcare of MsPsychiatric 14.39 miles away3531 East Lakeland Drive Flowood Mississippi 39232Proprietary(601) 936-2024
- Merit Health RankinAcute Care Hospitals 15.52 miles away350 Crossgates Blvd Brandon Mississippi 39042Proprietary(601) 825-2811
- Isd Renal Inc6.5 miles away1828 Raymond Road Jackson Mississippi 39204CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (601) 373-7897
- Fmc Southwest Jackson6.88 miles away1856 Hospital Drive Jackson Mississippi 39204CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (601) 371-2896
- Isd Renal Inc7.1 miles away1015 I-20 Frontage Rd Jackson Mississippi 39204CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (601) 373-9154
- Bio-Medical Applications of Mississippi, Inc.10.02 miles away656 North State Street Jackson Mississippi 39202Dialysis Stations: 10 (601) 944-0151
- Lakeland Home Program, LLC10.08 miles away105 Johnston Place Clinton Mississippi 39056Dialysis Stations: 14 (601) 925-9296
- Fresenius Medical Care Southwest Jackson Home10.74 miles away1421 N State Street Suite 501 Jackson Mississippi 39202Dialysis Stations: 2 (601) 292-1545
- Medical Mall Dialysis10.99 miles away350 W. Woodrow Wilson Md-224 Jackson Mississippi 39213Dialysis Stations: 48 (601) 815-6345
- Fmc Jackson12.15 miles away381 Medical Drive Jackson Mississippi 39216CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 38 (601) 981-9652