Edenbrook of Edina is an average-sized non-profit facility in Minneapolis, Minnesota. This is a solid facility, with an overall grade of B-. Even in a city featuring 50 other nursing homes, this facility ought to be a quality selection. The best part of this nursing home's report card is its stellar nursing grade. We discuss nursing in the next paragraph.
Edenbrook of Edina
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
6200 Xerxes Avenue South,
Minneapolis MN 55423
77.29% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home received a solid overall grade as described above, but it really excelled in the area of nursing care, with an impressive grade of A in this category. When calculating a facility's nursing rating, we look at the quantity of hours nurses spend with patients as well as the skill levels of the nurses. This place offers 3.6 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis, of which more than one hour of those were provided by registered nurses. This is one of the more highly trained levels of nurses. In computing our nursing grades, we add more weight to hours performed by registered nurses. Finally, we also looked at a few quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility excelled in these areas, with excellent scores for minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. These areas are generally reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Short-term Care Quality
Another strength of this facility is its superb score in short-term care. We gave it one of our best scores in that category, with a score of A-. Short-term care scores are vital for people requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically requires higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means a wide scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other types of therapy. This place excelled in the two key staffing areas we assessed. In fact, it supplied about 50% more care from physical therapists and registered nurses than the average facility. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that it outperformed the majority of facilities in the nation with 51.4 percent of its patients able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Edenbrook of Edina?
Long-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this facility only received a D for its long-term care score, which is not a very good score. If you are seeking anything other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care scores. Once we assessed the amount of nursing care, we turned to the facility's vaccination statistics. We were pleased to discover that this nursing home vaccinates 95.09804 percent of its patients against pneumonia. To our surprise, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility had fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Sadly, a few of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
The final category we assessed is inspections. We were surprised to find that this facility received such a poor inspection score. We gave it a just D in this category. Clearly, this score is not on par with some of this nursing home's other grades. Inspection ratings relate to a facility's inspections. Since this information is collected by government inspectors, we weight it pretty heavily. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining these inspection scores. One of those factors is health deficiencies. We suggest you pay close attention to the level of severity of those deficiencies. This particular nursing home was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only positive thing we found is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they created a threat to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility also received 33 substantiated complaints in recent years. This is yet another bad sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Edenbrook of Edina Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Edenbrook of Edina, 6.9% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Edenbrook of Edina, 4.36% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are routinely linked to lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Edenbrook of Edina, 2.82% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents that sustained UTI's. Although more of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it can be difficult to compare between facilities due to nursing homes having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Edenbrook of Edina, 16.53% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for a variety of conditions, such as dementia. Sadly, in some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Edenbrook of Edina, 12.02% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure tells you the percent of long-term care patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Edenbrook of Edina, 4.55% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are demonstrating signs of depression. Increased rates of depression may be an indicator a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Edenbrook of Edina, 94.12% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Edenbrook of Edina, 13.22% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Edenbrook of Edina, 19.91% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Edenbrook of Edina, 19.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Edenbrook of Edina, 12.78 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Edenbrook of Edina, 76.23% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with activities of daily living usually correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Minneapolis, MN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Minneapolis, Minnesota has 49 other nursing homes
- Fairview Southdale HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.55 miles away6401 France Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55435Voluntary non-profit - Private(952) 924-5100
- Park Nicollet Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.33 miles away6500 Excelsior Blvd Minneapolis Minnesota 55426Voluntary non-profit - Private(952) 993-5000
- Abbott Northwestern HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.1 miles away800 East 28th Street Minneapolis Minnesota 55407Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 863-4457
- Children's Hospitals & Clinics of MnChildrens 5.34 miles away2525 Chicago Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 813-6112
- Hennepin County Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 6.35 miles away701 Park Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55415Government - Local(612) 873-3629
- University of Minnesota Medical Center, FairviewAcute Care Hospitals 6.59 miles away2450 Riverside Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 273-3000
- North Memorial HealthAcute Care Hospitals 8.59 miles away3300 Oakdale North Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Voluntary non-profit - Private(763) 520-5200
- Fairview Ridges HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.92 miles away201 East Nicollet Boulevard Burnsville Minnesota 55337Voluntary non-profit - Church(952) 892-2101
- Edina Dialysis of Davita1.32 miles away6565 France Ave S Suite 100 Minneapolis Minnesota 55435Dialysis Stations: 12 (952) 920-8371
- Davita - Richfield1.69 miles away6601 Lyndale Ave South Suite 150 Minneapolis Minnesota 55423Dialysis Stations: 12 (612) 869-2118
- Fmc - Southtown Dialysis2.11 miles away7901 Xerxes Ave S Ste 103 Minneapolis Minnesota 55431Dialysis Stations: 12 (952) 881-6986
- Fmc Dialysis - South Minneapolis3.11 miles away4310 Nicollet Ave Minneapolis Minnesota 55409Dialysis Stations: 12 (612) 822-4411
- Bloomington Dialysis of Davita3.25 miles away8591 Lyndale Ave S Minneapolis Minnesota 55420CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (952) 703-5888
- Davita - Uptown3.61 miles away3601 Lyndale Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55409Dialysis Stations: 12 (612) 825-4583
- Fresenius - St Louis Park Dialysis3.78 miles away5680 36th St W Minneapolis Minnesota 55416Dialysis Stations: 12 (952) 926-0959
- St Louis Park Dialysis of Davita4.23 miles away3505 Louisiana Ave S Minneapolis Minnesota 55426Dialysis Stations: 28 (952) 285-1400