Edenbrook Lakeside is a large nursing home located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. We gave this facility an F, which is definitely concerning in our grading scheme. We found this to be one of the bottom five rated nursing homes in Milwaukee based on the data we assessed. With countless other nursing homes in the city, you may simply want to look elsewhere. Finally, short-term care was the only shining light in this nursing home's profile. We provide additional information about this category below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Milwaukee senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Although we gave this facility an abysmal overall grade, we awarded it a B for short-term care. Our short-term care ratings are vital for prospective residents needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally requires higher levels of skilled nursing. This means a broad scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Unfortunately, we were not able to locate information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who eventually returned home from this nursing home. We found that 6 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
This facility's second best category was nursing, but even there it received a grade of just D. This is still a well below average grade. There are a variety of criteria within this category. Many of these factors relate to staffing levels. This facility averaged only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is an alarmingly low total. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing ratings. This nursing home fared well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these statistics to be measures of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Edenbrook Lakeside?
We also wanted to draw your attention to this nursing home's inspection grades where it received an F. This generally means we found some red flags on the inspection reports. We would advise paying special attention to any deficiencies on a facility's inspection reports when it receives this poor of an inspection score. We would scrutinize the severity of those deficiencies. This particular nursing home had 6 deficiencies by CMS. The only positive thing we can say is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that suggest that they posed a risk to resident health or safety. Finally, we would like to point out that this facility received large government fines in recent years totaling over $100,000. This typically indicates that a facility's poor performance has been an issue for several years.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we rated is long-term care, where this nursing home was given a poor score in this area also. Sadly, it received a lowly F in this area, which is definitely somewhat alarming. For prospective residents looking for a permanent residence as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care grades are very important. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 99.3311 percent of its residents, which is higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. To our surprise, this nursing home was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Sadly, a few of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Edenbrook Lakeside Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Edenbrook Lakeside, 15.98% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric tells you the percent of long-term care patients who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Edenbrook Lakeside, 1.34% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a fall which resulted in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Edenbrook Lakeside, 1.73% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often the result of worse hygiene protocols. More frequent bathing can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Edenbrook Lakeside, 7.36% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are administered to residents for a variety of medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Edenbrook Lakeside, 14.39% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents who are prescribed antianxiety medication. These drugs are generally given to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Edenbrook Lakeside, 2.1% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Edenbrook Lakeside, 98.42% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Edenbrook Lakeside, 12.02% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and continence. Many in the industry believe this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Edenbrook Lakeside, 19.26% of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Edenbrook Lakeside, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Edenbrook Lakeside, 19.26% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Edenbrook Lakeside, 13.85% of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Edenbrook Lakeside, 79.9% of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some would argue this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Milwaukee, WI
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Milwaukee, Wisconsin has 13 other nursing homes
- Ascension Columbia St Mary's Hospital MilwaukeeAcute Care Hospitals 0.4 miles away2323 N Lake Dr Milwaukee Wisconsin 53211Voluntary non-profit - Church(414) 585-1374
- Ascension Se Wisconsin Hospital - St Joseph CampusAcute Care Hospitals 4.76 miles away5000 W Chambers St Milwaukee Wisconsin 53210Voluntary non-profit - Church(414) 447-2130
- Ascension St Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.56 miles away3237 S 16th St Milwaukee Wisconsin 53215Voluntary non-profit - Private(414) 647-5000
- Aurora St Lukes Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.77 miles away2900 W Oklahoma Ave Milwaukee Wisconsin 53215Voluntary non-profit - Private(414) 649-6000
- Childrens Hospital of WisconsinChildrens 7.2 miles away9000 W Wisconsin Ave Milwaukee Wisconsin 53226Voluntary non-profit - Other(414) 266-2000
- Froedtert Memorial Lutheran HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.33 miles away9200 W Wisconsin Ave Milwaukee Wisconsin 53226Voluntary non-profit - Private(414) 805-3000
- Milwaukee County Behavioral Health DivisionPsychiatric 7.45 miles away9455 W Watertown Plank Rd Milwaukee Wisconsin 53226Government - Local(414) 257-5202
- Aurora West Allis Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.95 miles away8901 W Lincoln Ave Milwaukee Wisconsin 53227Voluntary non-profit - Private(414) 328-6000
- Davita - Humboldt Ridge0.73 miles away2211 N Humboldt Blvd Milwaukee Wisconsin 53212CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (414) 336-7200
- Wisconsin Renal Care Group, LLC1.91 miles away161 W Wisconsin Ave, Ste 1100 Milwaukee Wisconsin 53203CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (414) 224-7666
- Davita - Rivercenter Dr2.15 miles away117 N Jefferson St Milwaukee Wisconsin 53202CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (414) 225-3740
- Total Renal Care Inc2.35 miles away733 E Capitol Dr Milwaukee Wisconsin 53212Dialysis Stations: 13 (414) 906-0144
- Childrens Hospital of Wi2.6 miles awayDialysis Unit - Mail Station 604 9000 W Wisconsin Ave, Box 1997 Milwaukee Wisconsin 53201Dialysis Stations: 5 (414) 266-2840
- Wisconsin Renal Group l.l.c.3.09 miles away377 W River Woods Pkwy, Ste 111 Milwaukee Wisconsin 53212Dialysis Stations: 25 (414) 967-9321
- Fresenius Medical Care Midwest Glendale3.16 miles away400 W Estabrook Blvd Milwaukee Wisconsin 53212CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (414) 332-9960
- Davita - Wisconsin Ave4.12 miles away3801 W Wisconsin Ave Milwaukee Wisconsin 53208CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (414) 937-8240