Edenbrook Lakeside is a large nursing home located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. We gave this facility an F, which is definitely concerning in our grading scheme. We found this to be one of the bottom five rated nursing homes in Milwaukee based on the data we assessed. With countless other nursing homes in the city, you may simply want to look elsewhere. Finally, we were surprised to learn that this nursing home received a decent grade in our short-term care category. We provide more information about this category below.
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
2115 E Woodstock Pl,
Milwaukee WI 53202
62.61% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Although we gave this facility a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a grade of B- for our short-term care rating. In computing our short-term care grades, we assess the nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. This area is considered to be a reliable measure of a facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. We found that this facility was below average in the two key staffing areas we focus on. In fact, it provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The final statistic we looked at in this category is the number of residents that eventually returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Among this facility's alarming category grades was an F for its inspection score. Typically, this means we found some major red flags on its inspection reports. When a nursing home has this bad of an inspection grade, you should expect some severe deficiencies on its inspection report. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to resident safety. This facility had 6 deficiencies by CMS. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they created a risk to resident health or safety. Finally, we also want to point out that this facility received significant government fines of over $100,000. This usually indicates that a facility'sbad track record has been an issue for several years.
Does this page answer your questions about Edenbrook Lakeside?
In addition, we gave this facility an F in the area of nursing care. Our nursing score is primarily based on the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This place offered just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is well below average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing ratings. This nursing home performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these metrics to be good measures of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we looked at was long-term care, in which this facility was given a rock bottom score here also. Sadly, it received an F in this category, which is definitely a major disappointment. In a long-term care setting, the facility's primary goal is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. Once we looked at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination records. We were pleased to discover that this facility vaccinated 96.40288 percent of its residents against pneumonia. To our surprise, this nursing home also fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had just 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Sadly, some of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Edenbrook Lakeside Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Edenbrook Lakeside, 6.93% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can reduce the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Edenbrook Lakeside, 3.27% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Edenbrook Lakeside, 3.19% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often linked to worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint can be skewed for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Edenbrook Lakeside, 13.83% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Edenbrook Lakeside, 15.45% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Edenbrook Lakeside, 6.26% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients demonstrating depressive symptoms. Increased rates of depression could be an indicator lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Edenbrook Lakeside, 92.96% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Edenbrook Lakeside, 13.23% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and eating. Some would argue that this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Edenbrook Lakeside, 20.17% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who remained mobile levels.
In Edenbrook Lakeside, 1.28 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Edenbrook Lakeside, 20.17 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Edenbrook Lakeside, 13.08 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Edenbrook Lakeside, 75.51% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Milwaukee, WI
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Milwaukee, Wisconsin has 23 other nursing homes
- Ascension Columbia St Mary's Hospital MilwaukeeAcute Care Hospitals 0.4 miles away2323 N Lake Dr Milwaukee Wisconsin 53211Voluntary non-profit - Church(414) 585-1374
- Ascension Se Wisconsin Hospital - St Joseph CampusAcute Care Hospitals 4.76 miles away5000 W Chambers St Milwaukee Wisconsin 53210Voluntary non-profit - Church(414) 447-2130
- Ascension St Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.56 miles away3237 S 16th St Milwaukee Wisconsin 53215Voluntary non-profit - Private(414) 647-5000
- Aurora St Lukes Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.77 miles away2900 W Oklahoma Ave Milwaukee Wisconsin 53215Voluntary non-profit - Private(414) 649-6000
- Childrens Hospital of WisconsinChildrens 7.2 miles away9000 W Wisconsin Ave Milwaukee Wisconsin 53226Voluntary non-profit - Other(414) 266-2000
- Froedtert Memorial Lutheran HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.33 miles away9200 W Wisconsin Ave Milwaukee Wisconsin 53226Voluntary non-profit - Private(414) 805-3000
- Milwaukee County Behavioral Health DivisionPsychiatric 7.45 miles away9455 W Watertown Plank Rd Milwaukee Wisconsin 53226Government - Local(414) 257-5202
- Aurora West Allis Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.95 miles away8901 W Lincoln Ave Milwaukee Wisconsin 53227Voluntary non-profit - Private(414) 328-6000
- Davita - Humboldt Ridge0.73 miles away2211 N Humboldt Blvd Milwaukee Wisconsin 53212CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (414) 336-7200
- Wisconsin Renal Care Group, LLC1.91 miles away161 W Wisconsin Ave, Ste 1100 Milwaukee Wisconsin 53203CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (414) 224-7666
- Davita - Rivercenter Dr2.15 miles away117 N Jefferson St Milwaukee Wisconsin 53202CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (414) 225-3740
- Total Renal Care Inc2.35 miles away733 E Capitol Dr Milwaukee Wisconsin 53212Dialysis Stations: 13 (414) 906-0144
- Childrens Hospital of Wi2.6 miles awayDialysis Unit - Mail Station 604 9000 W Wisconsin Ave, Box 1997 Milwaukee Wisconsin 53201Dialysis Stations: 5 (414) 266-2840
- Wisconsin Renal Group l.l.c.3.09 miles away377 W River Woods Pkwy, Ste 111 Milwaukee Wisconsin 53212Dialysis Stations: 25 (414) 967-9321
- Fresenius Medical Care Midwest Glendale3.16 miles away400 W Estabrook Blvd Milwaukee Wisconsin 53212CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (414) 332-9960
- Davita - Wisconsin Ave4.12 miles away3801 W Wisconsin Ave Milwaukee Wisconsin 53208CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (414) 937-8240