Eastgate Health Care Center is a large nursing home located in Cincinnati, Ohio. Sporting an overall rating of C, this is likely a decent nursing home. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Cincinnati, which is admittedly a bit below average nationally. The best part of this nursing home's profile is its remarkable inspection reports. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
Eastgate Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
This facility earned a solid overall grade as described above, but we really wanted to point out its nearly flawless health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an A in this category. Our inspection scores are tied to many datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that receive favorable grades in this category tend to have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G through L. This tells you that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple of minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
Short-term Care Quality
In addition, we also wanted to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home was awarded impressive short-term care marks this year. We gave them one of our better grades in this category, with a B. This proved to be the nursing home's second strongest grade. Our short-term care grade is often employed to score a nursing home's rehabilitation services. In order to have high-end rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to provide higher levels of skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients that ultimately returned home from this nursing home. We found that 5.4 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Eastgate Health Care Center?
Turning to another strength for this facility, it also earned an elite nursing rating. In fact, we gave this facility an impressive grade of D. The nursing grade includes a host of factors. The most important factor is the quantity of hours nurses spend with patients. With a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily, this place's nurse staffing levels were well below average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing grades. This facility fared well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to our next category, we gave this nursing home a grade of D in long-term care. This was the nursing home's least impressive category score. For prospective residents looking for a permanent place to live rather than rehabilitation, long-term care grades are an important measure. After assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 99.77325 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is more than the average nursing home. Surprisingly, this facility also fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had just 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Eastgate Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls leading to injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 1.71% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely associated with facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Additional nurse staffing can reduce the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Keep in mind that this statistic is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 13.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for many conditions, including cognitive disorders. Sadly, in some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 22.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically prescribed to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 20.26% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 90.12% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 14.88% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate erosion of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 16.29% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that were able to retain mobility. Some experts would argue that the ability to move around is vital to residents' physical and mental health.
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 1.36 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 16.29 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 12 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 75.25% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Cincinnati, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Cincinnati, Ohio has 74 other nursing homes
- Mercy Health-Anderson HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.66 miles away7500 State Road Cincinnati Ohio 45255Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 624-4006
- St Elizabeth Ft ThomasAcute Care Hospitals 10.84 miles away85 North Grand Avenue Fort Thomas Kentucky 41075Voluntary non-profit - Private(859) 572-3100
- Bethesda NorthAcute Care Hospitals 11.74 miles away10500 Montgomery Road Cincinnati Ohio 45242Voluntary non-profit - Church(513) 865-1241
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical CenterChildrens 13.06 miles away3333 Burnet Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45229Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 636-3333
- University of Cincinnati Medical Center, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 13.11 miles away234 Goodman Street Cincinnati Ohio 45219Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 584-1000
- Christ HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.24 miles away2139 Auburn Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45219Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 585-2000
- Assurance Health Cincinnati LLCPsychiatric 14.1 miles away11690 Grooms Road Cincinnati Ohio 45242Proprietary(513) 519-4947
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.19 miles away375 Dixmyth Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45220Voluntary non-profit - Church(513) 862-2646
- Davita - Eastgate Dialysis0.95 miles away4435 Aicholtz Road, Suite 800a Cincinnati Ohio 45245Dialysis Stations: 16 (513) 752-5544
- Targhee Dialysis LLC1.09 miles away4435 Aicholtz Drive, Suite 800b Cincinnati Ohio 45245Dialysis Stations: 4 (513) 752-8301
- Dialysis Clinic Inc2.63 miles away4600 Beechwood Rd., Suite 900 Cincinnati Ohio 45244Dialysis Stations: 15 (513) 528-3222
- Davita - Anderson Dialysis4.67 miles away7502 State Road Suite, 1160 Cincinnati Ohio 45255CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (513) 624-0400
- Davita - Ohio Pike Dialysis5.11 miles away1761 State Route 125, Suite G Amelia Ohio 45102Dialysis Stations: 12 (513) 797-0713
- Davita - Batavia Dialysis6.55 miles away4000 Golden Age Drive Batavia Ohio 45103Dialysis Stations: 12 (513) 735-0700
- Davita - Clermont Inc6.76 miles away5901 Montclair Blvd, Suite 100 Milford Ohio 45150Dialysis Stations: 12 (513) 248-0593
- Fmc-Milford LLC7.12 miles away5890 Meadow Creek Drive Milford Ohio 45150Dialysis Stations: 15 (513) 248-1690