Eastgate Health Care Center is a large nursing home located in Cincinnati, Ohio. Sporting an overall rating of B, this nursing home is a fine option. We found this facility to be better than the majority of the nursing homes in Cincinnati, which has a city grade of B-. This place is stronger in some categories than others, but it didn't have any bad scores in any of the major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Eastgate Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
On top of earning a great overall score, this nursing home performed even better in our inspections category which is based on the facility's recent inspection reports. In fact, we awarded it an A for this category, which is one of our highest grades. These inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This place received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that CMS did not consider any of these deficiencies to pose an immediate risk to resident health or safety. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor made us feel better about this inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home fared well in the category of short-term care. In fact, we gave it a grade of A- for that category, which happens to be one of our highest scores. Our short-term care grades are considered to be more important for individuals requiring rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation usually requires higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes not only nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last metric we looked at in this category is the number of residents that ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that 5.9 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Eastgate Health Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's next most favorable category turned out to be its long-term care score, where it was given a grade of C. For prospective residents looking for a permanent place to live rather than skilled nursing, long-term care grades are an important measure. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 99.7669 percent of its patients. Finally, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Our next category is nursing, where we awarded this nursing home a C in that category. Our nursing grade analyzes the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We weigh both the levels of training of the nurses as well as the number of hours spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics. Although this facility got docked a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it excelled in a few of these quality-based measures. With fewer than five percent of its residents experiencing pressure ulcers, it performed remarkably well in this metric. This is often an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of moving residents even once per day.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Eastgate Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This measures the percent of long-term care patients that have pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a reliable indicator of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 3.69% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are often associated with lower levels of patient supervision. Closer supervision can limit the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 1.8% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 13.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for many conditions, such as dementia. Sadly, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 22.35% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 20% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 90.19% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 18.5% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 1.39 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is critical to maintaining the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 18.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 11.81 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 74.54% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Cincinnati, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Cincinnati, Ohio has 73 other nursing homes
- Mercy Health-Anderson HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.66 miles away7500 State Road Cincinnati Ohio 45255Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 624-4006
- St Elizabeth Ft ThomasAcute Care Hospitals 10.84 miles away85 North Grand Avenue Fort Thomas Kentucky 41075Voluntary non-profit - Private(859) 572-3100
- Bethesda NorthAcute Care Hospitals 11.74 miles away10500 Montgomery Road Cincinnati Ohio 45242Voluntary non-profit - Church(513) 865-1241
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical CenterChildrens 13.06 miles away3333 Burnet Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45229Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 636-3333
- University of Cincinnati Medical Center, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 13.11 miles away234 Goodman Street Cincinnati Ohio 45219Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 584-1000
- Christ HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.24 miles away2139 Auburn Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45219Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 585-2000
- Assurance Health Cincinnati LLCPsychiatric 14.1 miles away11690 Grooms Road Cincinnati Ohio 45242Proprietary(513) 519-4947
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.19 miles away375 Dixmyth Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45220Voluntary non-profit - Church(513) 862-2646
- Davita - Eastgate Dialysis0.95 miles away4435 Aicholtz Road, Suite 800a Cincinnati Ohio 45245Dialysis Stations: 16 (513) 752-5544
- Targhee Dialysis LLC1.09 miles away4435 Aicholtz Drive, Suite 800b Cincinnati Ohio 45245Dialysis Stations: 4 (513) 752-8301
- Dialysis Clinic Inc2.63 miles away4600 Beechwood Rd., Suite 900 Cincinnati Ohio 45244Dialysis Stations: 15 (513) 528-3222
- Davita - Anderson Dialysis4.67 miles away7502 State Road Suite, 1160 Cincinnati Ohio 45255CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (513) 624-0400
- Davita - Ohio Pike Dialysis5.11 miles away1761 State Route 125, Suite G Amelia Ohio 45102Dialysis Stations: 12 (513) 797-0713
- Davita - Batavia Dialysis6.55 miles away4000 Golden Age Drive Batavia Ohio 45103Dialysis Stations: 12 (513) 735-0700
- Davita - Clermont Inc6.76 miles away5901 Montclair Blvd, Suite 100 Milford Ohio 45150Dialysis Stations: 12 (513) 248-0593
- Fmc-Milford LLC7.12 miles away5890 Meadow Creek Drive Milford Ohio 45150Dialysis Stations: 15 (513) 248-1690