Eastgate Health Care Center is a large nursing home located in Cincinnati, Ohio. Sporting an overall rating of B, this nursing home is a fine option. If you take a look at the other options in Cincinnati, we suspect you will find this place to be a better option than most of the facilities in the city. This nursing home is stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any bad scores in any of the major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Eastgate Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Cincinnati senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its strong overall score, we awarded this nursing home an A+ for our inspections rating. Perhaps the most significant factor we consider in determining our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities with higher grades in this category typically dodged the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This place received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that CMS did not consider any of these deficiencies to pose an immediate risk to resident health or safety. A couple relatively minor dings are not necessarily something to panic about.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also received a strong short-term care score. In fact, we awarded it an above average grade of B in this category. In the area of short-term care, we try to assess measures of a facility's rehabilitation. We look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last metric we considered in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to return home from the facility. We found that 5.3 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Eastgate Health Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home was awarded an impressive long-term care score as well. We gave it one of our higher scores in that category with a score of B. Facilities that do well in long-term care tend to provide residents with more supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 99.565216 percent of its patients, which is significantly higher than most nursing homes. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Our next category is nursing, where we awarded this nursing home a C in that category. Our nursing grade analyzes the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We weigh both the levels of training of the nurses as well as the number of hours spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we like to look at quality-based statistics, such as the percentage of patients who suffered pressure ulcers and major falls. Sometimes these statistics are measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Eastgate Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 4.16% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to remaining in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 4.13% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 0.22% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often linked to worse hygiene protocols. Better hygiene protocols reduces the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this metric is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 4.4% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term care residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 21.14% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents who are prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are commonly prescribed to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 71.67% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients showing symptoms of depression. Some experts would argue that this is a reliable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 99.19% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 9.69% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and bathing. Some experts would argue that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 5.31% of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents who maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is important to the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 5.31% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 8.9% of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Eastgate Health Care Center, 87.8% of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Cincinnati, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Cincinnati, Ohio has 71 other nursing homes
- Mercy Health-Anderson HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.66 miles away7500 State Road Cincinnati Ohio 45255Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 624-4006
- St Elizabeth Ft ThomasAcute Care Hospitals 10.84 miles away85 North Grand Avenue Fort Thomas Kentucky 41075Voluntary non-profit - Private(859) 572-3100
- Bethesda NorthAcute Care Hospitals 11.74 miles away10500 Montgomery Road Cincinnati Ohio 45242Voluntary non-profit - Church(513) 865-1241
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical CenterChildrens 13.06 miles away3333 Burnet Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45229Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 636-3333
- University of Cincinnati Medical Center, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 13.11 miles away234 Goodman Street Cincinnati Ohio 45219Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 584-1000
- Christ HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.24 miles away2139 Auburn Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45219Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 585-2000
- Assurance Health Cincinnati LLCPsychiatric 14.1 miles away11690 Grooms Road Cincinnati Ohio 45242Proprietary(513) 519-4947
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.19 miles away375 Dixmyth Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45220Voluntary non-profit - Church(513) 862-2646
- Davita - Eastgate Dialysis0.95 miles away4435 Aicholtz Road, Suite 800a Cincinnati Ohio 45245Dialysis Stations: 16 (513) 752-5544
- Targhee Dialysis LLC1.09 miles away4435 Aicholtz Drive, Suite 800b Cincinnati Ohio 45245Dialysis Stations: 4 (513) 752-8301
- Dialysis Clinic Inc2.63 miles away4600 Beechwood Rd., Suite 900 Cincinnati Ohio 45244Dialysis Stations: 15 (513) 528-3222
- Davita - Anderson Dialysis4.67 miles away7502 State Road Suite, 1160 Cincinnati Ohio 45255CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (513) 624-0400
- Davita - Ohio Pike Dialysis5.11 miles away1761 State Route 125, Suite G Amelia Ohio 45102Dialysis Stations: 12 (513) 797-0713
- Davita - Batavia Dialysis6.55 miles away4000 Golden Age Drive Batavia Ohio 45103Dialysis Stations: 12 (513) 735-0700
- Davita - Clermont Inc6.76 miles away5901 Montclair Blvd, Suite 100 Milford Ohio 45150Dialysis Stations: 12 (513) 248-0593
- Fmc-Milford LLC7.12 miles away5890 Meadow Creek Drive Milford Ohio 45150Dialysis Stations: 15 (513) 248-1690