Dumont Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing Care is a large nursing home located in New Rochelle, New York. We awarded it an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the pack rating. Based on our assessment, this nursing home should be a good fit for quite a few people. One of the major highlights of this nursing home's profile is its remarkable inspection grade, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Dumont Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing Care
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this ended up being a decent nursing home is that it earned an excellent inspection grade. Its inspection grade was far better than its overall grade. In our inspections category, we gave it a grade of A+. Inspection scores weigh several factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better grades in this area typically have few of these severe deficiencies. While this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. A couple of minor deficiencies shouldn't stop you from considering a nursing home.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's next most favorable category was long-term care. In that category, we gave this facility a grade of B-. Long-term care scores are based on a facility's amount of nursing services. This includes a broad scope of personal care services, ranging from help with activities of daily living to routine healthcare services. One of the datapoints we considered on top of nursing hours was vaccinations. We were a bit alarmed this nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccination to a relatively low 87.43802 percent of its patients. Nevertheless, this nursing home keeps its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Dumont Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing Care?
Turning to another strength for this facility, it also earned an elite nursing rating. We gave this nursing home a grade of D. We assessed the qualifications of nurses working for the facility, in addition to the quantity of time those nurses were with patients, in determining our score in this area. This nursing home provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This number is far below average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing ratings. This facility performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to our fourth area, this nursing home really did not fare well. With a bottom of the barrel grade of F in short-term care, this is its poorest grade. With our short-term care score, we strive to craft a valuable gauge for rehabilitation services. In this process, we assess a facility's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. With a grade in this range for this category, we were not shocked to learn this nursing home was well below average in the two key staffing areas we assess. It supplied substantially fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most other facilities. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. This wasn't a strength for this facility. We found that just 4 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, around half of their residents are able to return home so this is well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Dumont Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Dumont Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing Care, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure indicates the percent of long-term care residents that developed pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are an indicator of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Dumont Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing Care, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Dumont Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing Care, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be a measure of nursing care . UTI's are often associated with a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this datapoint can also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Dumont Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing Care, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This measures the percentage of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Dumont Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing Care, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Dumont Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing Care, 13.2% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Dumont Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing Care, 91.26% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Dumont Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing Care, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Dumont Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing Care, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Dumont Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing Care, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is usually a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Dumont Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing Care, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Dumont Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing Care, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Dumont Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing Care, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some argue this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
Scores for New Rochelle, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? New Rochelle, New York has 5 other nursing homes
- Montefiore New Rochelle HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.59 miles away16 Guion Place New Rochelle New York 10802Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 632-5000
- Montefiore Mount Vernon HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.11 miles away12 North 7th Avenue Mount Vernon New York 10550Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 664-8000
- Jacobi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.88 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Government - Local(718) 918-5000
- Montefiore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.85 miles away111 East 210th Street Bronx New York 10467Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 920-4321
- St Barnabas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.06 miles away4422 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 960-9000
- St Joseph's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.24 miles away127 South Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 378-7000
- St John's Riverside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.33 miles away976 North Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 964-4444
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.34 miles away1276 Fulton Avenue Bronx New York 10456Proprietary(212) 588-7000
- New York Dialysis Services, Inc.1.57 miles away16 Guion Place New Rochelle New York 10802CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (914) 235-6878
- Davita Boston Post Road Dialysis Center2.31 miles away4026 Boston Road Bronx New York 10475CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 862-9245
- Westchester Center for Renal Care2.51 miles away10 Claremont Ave Mount Vernon New York 10550Dialysis Stations: 9 (914) 512-9379
- Davita Sandford Boulevard Dialysis2.65 miles away120 E. Sanford Blvd Mount Vernon New York 10550Dialysis Stations: 8 (914) 665-2035
- Workmen's Circle Dialysis Center2.84 miles away3155 Grace Avenue Bronx New York 10469Dialysis Stations: 12 (718) 379-8100
- Kings Harbor Health Services LLC3.04 miles away2020 East Gun Hill Road Bronx New York 10469Dialysis Stations: 9 (718) 320-1335
- Mount Vernon Dialysis,LLC3.11 miles away12 North 7th Avenue 3rd Floor Mount Vernon New York 10550CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (914) 665-4343
- Davita Laconia Dialysis3.33 miles away3440 Boston Road Bronx New York 10469Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 798-0538