Dobson Plaza is one of seven nursing homes located in Evanston, Illinois. This proved to be a solid facility, with an overall grade of B-. You can certainly do worse than this nursing home. This nursing home was stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any poor grades in any of our four major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Evanston senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its relatively modest overall grade, we awarded this facility an A- for our inspections rating. This grade is far more impressive than the facility's overall grade. Perhaps the most critical factor we look at in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Places with better grades in this category most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. While this place had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a decent score in the area of long-term care, where we awarded it a B-. In the area of long-term care, we assess the quantity of care offered by a nursing home, as opposed to more sophisticated services. Once we assessed the quantity of nursing care, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination record. We were a bit alarmed this nursing home vaccinated only 88.30769 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Fortunately, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Dobson Plaza?
This facility's next best category was its nursing grade, where it received a grade of B-. Nursing ratings are largely associated with the nursing home's nurse staffing. This place provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is a lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this facility actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is often an indicator that a facility has quality controls in place.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our final category, this facility was given a C in short-term care, which is an acceptable grade. In crafting our short-term care scores, we look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our purpose is to create a barometer for sizing up the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last datapoint we looked at in this area is the percentage of residents that ultimately returned home from the facility. We found that just 2.9 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. This figure was below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Dobson Plaza Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Dobson Plaza, 11.51% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This measures the percentage of long-term patients who suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Dobson Plaza, 4.92% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents that suffered falls which resulted in major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Dobson Plaza, 7.59% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Dobson Plaza, 31.86% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to patients for many conditions, including dementia. Tragically, in some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Dobson Plaza, 21.72% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Dobson Plaza, 6.71% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Dobson Plaza, 92.43% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Dobson Plaza, 9.35% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Dobson Plaza, 12.84% of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Dobson Plaza, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Dobson Plaza, 12.84% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Dobson Plaza, 4.41% of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Dobson Plaza, 77.83% of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some argue this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Evanston, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Evanston, Illinois has 6 other nursing homes
- Presence Saint Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.79 miles away355 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60202Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 316-4000
- Swedish Covenant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.1 miles away5145 N California Ave Chicago Illinois 60625Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 878-8200
- Northshore University Healthsystem Evanston HospAcute Care Hospitals 3.25 miles away2650 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60201Voluntary non-profit - Other(847) 432-8000
- Methodist Hospital of ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 3.54 miles away5025 N Paulina Street Chicago Illinois 60640Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 271-9040
- Aurora Chicago Lakeshore HospitalPsychiatric 4.24 miles away4840 N Marine Dr Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-9700
- Louis a Weiss Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.51 miles away4646 N Marine Drive Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-8700
- Thorek Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.16 miles away850 W Irving Park Rd Chicago Illinois 60613Voluntary non-profit - Private(312) 525-6780
- Presence Resurrection Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.19 miles away7435 W Talcott Avenue Chicago Illinois 60631Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 774-8000
- Fmc - Rogers Park0.63 miles away2277 W Howard St Chicago Illinois 60645CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (773) 262-7147
- Davita - Evanston Renal Center1.46 miles away1922 Dempster Street Evanston Illinois 60202CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 869-5047
- Center for Renal Replacement, LLC2.19 miles away7301 North Lincoln Ave., Ste 205 Lincolnwood Illinois 60712Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 675-5555
- Fmc - Midamerica Evanston3.21 miles away2953 Central St 1st Floor Evanston Illinois 60201Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 869-9436
- Davita - Big Oaks Dialysis3.55 miles away5623 W. Touhy Avenue Niles Illinois 60714Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 647-3140
- Fmc - Skokie Dialysis4.15 miles away9801 Woods Dr Skokie Illinois 60076Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 581-1620
- Davita Irving Park Dialysis4.41 miles away4323 N Pulaski Road Chicago Illinois 60641Dialysis Stations: 12 (773) 279-8714
- Fmc - Uptown4.42 miles away4700 N. Marine Drive, Suite 204 Chicago Illinois 60640CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (773) 989-8082