Dobson Plaza is one of seven nursing homes located in Evanston, Illinois. This proved to be a solid facility, with an overall grade of C. You can certainly do worse than this nursing home. The best part of this nursing home's profile is its exemplary inspection grade. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
120 Dodge Avenue,
Evanston IL 60202
88.14% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its relatively modest overall grade, we awarded this facility an A for our inspections rating. This grade is far more impressive than the facility's overall grade. Perhaps the most critical factor we look at in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Places with better grades in this category most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. While this place had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies shouldn't lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility was awarded its second best category score in the area of short-term care. We gave this nursing home a grade of B- in this area, which is a reasonably acceptable grade. In computing our short-term care ratings, we assess the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our objective is to formulate a barometer for comparing the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. We were surprised to find that this facility was below average in the two key staffing areas we looked at. It provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The last statistic we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Dobson Plaza?
Another strength of this facility is its favorable grade in nursing. We gave them one of our better scores in that area, with an D. When calculating a facility's nursing score, we weigh the amount of time nurses commit to residents as well as the levels of training of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing ratings. This nursing home performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we analyzed is long-term care. Sadly, it received an F in this category, which is a bottom of the barrel score. This is certainly a major disappointment. In a long-term care setting, the facility's primary objective is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. One of the data points we considered after nurse's aid hours was vaccines. Thankfully, this facility provided the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its patients. To our surprise, this facility was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Dobson Plaza Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Dobson Plaza, 8.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Dobson Plaza, 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents that suffered falls which resulted in major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Dobson Plaza, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Dobson Plaza, 18.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to patients for many conditions, including dementia. Tragically, in some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Dobson Plaza, 19.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Dobson Plaza, 30.45% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Dobson Plaza, 87.4% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Dobson Plaza, 13.9% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Dobson Plaza, 17.56% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Dobson Plaza, 1.66 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Dobson Plaza, 17.56 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Dobson Plaza, 11.82 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure patient care during rehabilitation.
Scores for Evanston, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Evanston, Illinois has 6 other nursing homes
- Presence Saint Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.79 miles away355 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60202Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 316-4000
- Swedish Covenant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.1 miles away5145 N California Ave Chicago Illinois 60625Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 878-8200
- Northshore University Healthsystem Evanston HospAcute Care Hospitals 3.25 miles away2650 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60201Voluntary non-profit - Other(847) 432-8000
- Methodist Hospital of ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 3.54 miles away5025 N Paulina Street Chicago Illinois 60640Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 271-9040
- Aurora Chicago Lakeshore HospitalPsychiatric 4.24 miles away4840 N Marine Dr Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-9700
- Louis a Weiss Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.51 miles away4646 N Marine Drive Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-8700
- Thorek Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.16 miles away850 W Irving Park Rd Chicago Illinois 60613Voluntary non-profit - Private(312) 525-6780
- Presence Resurrection Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.19 miles away7435 W Talcott Avenue Chicago Illinois 60631Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 774-8000
- Fmc - Rogers Park0.63 miles away2277 W Howard St Chicago Illinois 60645CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (773) 262-7147
- Davita - Evanston Renal Center1.46 miles away1922 Dempster Street Evanston Illinois 60202CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 869-5047
- Center for Renal Replacement, LLC2.19 miles away7301 North Lincoln Ave., Ste 205 Lincolnwood Illinois 60712Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 675-5555
- Fmc - Midamerica Evanston3.21 miles away2953 Central St 1st Floor Evanston Illinois 60201Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 869-9436
- Davita - Big Oaks Dialysis3.55 miles away5623 W. Touhy Avenue Niles Illinois 60714Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 647-3140
- Fmc - Skokie Dialysis4.15 miles away9801 Woods Dr Skokie Illinois 60076Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 581-1620
- Davita Irving Park Dialysis4.41 miles away4323 N Pulaski Road Chicago Illinois 60641Dialysis Stations: 12 (773) 279-8714
- Fmc - Uptown4.42 miles away4700 N. Marine Drive, Suite 204 Chicago Illinois 60640CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (773) 989-8082