Diversicare of Smyrna is one of just a few available facilities located in Smyrna, Tennessee. Sporting an overall score of B, this facility is a great option. This place truly has plenty of good features. We were also pleased to find that this place didn't have any weak links in any of the major categories. More information about its category grades is available below.
Diversicare of Smyrna
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Part of the reason this facility performed well overall is that it excelled in the category of inspections, with a B+ in that area. It outperformed most facilities in this category. Perhaps the most important factor we look at in calculating our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher grades in this category typically dodged the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This particular nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a good inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
This nursing home also received a strong nursing score. In fact, we awarded it an above average grade of B+ in this area. Nursing scores are primarily tied to the facility's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as having a protocol of turning residents more often.
Does this page answer your questions about Diversicare of Smyrna?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was given a favorable short-term care grade. Indeed, we gave it an above average score of B in this area. Short-term care ratings are vital for people looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically mandates higher levels of skilled nursing services. This includes a vast range of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of residents that returned home from this nursing home. We found that 5.1 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the last area, this facility received a decent long-term care grade of B-. In a long-term care environment, the facility's primary goal is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. Once we looked at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination records. We were disappointed to learn that this facility vaccinated just 60.416664 percent of its residents against pneumonia. On a more positive note, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Diversicare of Smyrna Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Diversicare of Smyrna, 8.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Diversicare of Smyrna, 3.44% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a fall leading to severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Diversicare of Smyrna, 3.08% of Patients had UTIs
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term patients who had urinary tract infections. While a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare between nursing homes due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Diversicare of Smyrna, 15.67% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for many conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Diversicare of Smyrna, 29.51% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are given to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Diversicare of Smyrna, 9.05% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Diversicare of Smyrna, 89.05% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Diversicare of Smyrna, 16.44% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and eating. Many would argue this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Diversicare of Smyrna, 24.2% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who maintained mobility. Many in the industry argue that the ability to move around is vital to residents' physical and mental health.
In Diversicare of Smyrna, 1.27 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Diversicare of Smyrna, 24.2 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Diversicare of Smyrna, 11.03 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Diversicare of Smyrna, 73.13% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of performance with activities of daily living typically correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
- Tristar Stonecrest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.11 miles away200 Stonecrest Boulevard Smyrna Tennessee 37167Proprietary(615) 768-2000
- Saint Thomas Rutherford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.41 miles away1700 Medical Center Parkway Murfreesboro Tennessee 37129Voluntary non-profit - Church(615) 396-4100
- Tristar Southern Hills Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.81 miles away391 Wallace Rd Nashville Tennessee 37211Proprietary(615) 781-4000
- Tristar Summit Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.81 miles away5655 Frist Blvd Hermitage Tennessee 37076Proprietary(615) 316-3000
- Williamson Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.83 miles away4321 Carothers Parkway Franklin Tennessee 37067Government - Hospital District or Authority(615) 435-5000
- Rolling Hills Psychiatric HospitalPsychiatric 17.86 miles away2014 Quail Hollow Circle Franklin Tennessee 37067Voluntary non-profit - Private(615) 226-4930
- Tennova Healthcare-LebanonAcute Care Hospitals 19.61 miles away1411 Baddour Parkway Lebanon Tennessee 37087Voluntary non-profit - Private(615) 444-8262
- Vanderbilt University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.77 miles away1211 Medical Center Drive Nashville Tennessee 37232Voluntary non-profit - Private(615) 322-3454
- Fmc Dialysis Assoc. Of Smyrna0.67 miles away10519 Cedar Grove Rd Smyrna Tennessee 37167Dialysis Stations: 16 (615) 220-1739
- Davita Smyrna2.96 miles away537 Stonecrest Pkwy Suite 110 Smyrna Tennessee 37167Dialysis Stations: 8 (615) 220-2716
- Dci Murfreesboro9.2 miles away1617 Williams Drive Suite 100 Murfreesboro Tennessee 37129CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (615) 890-7741
- Dialysis Assoc. Of Murfreesboro-Ht9.29 miles away1524 Williams Drive, Suite 200 Murfreesboro Tennessee 37129Dialysis Stations: 8 (615) 904-6994
- Dialysis Associate, LLC9.74 miles away5214 Hickory Hollow Parkway Antioch Tennessee 37013Dialysis Stations: 17 (615) 731-6368
- Murfreesboro Dialysis10.77 miles away1346 Dow St. Murfreesboro Tennessee 37130Dialysis Stations: 12 (615) 890-7270
- Davita Woodbine Dialysis12.46 miles away5209 Linbar Drive, Suite 605 Nashville Tennessee 37211Dialysis Stations: 11 (615) 333-9765
- Dci Southern Hills13.63 miles away510 Recovery Road Suite 100 Nashville Tennessee 37211CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (615) 832-0761