Diversicare of Smyrna is the lone facility we found in Smyrna, Tennessee. Sporting an overall score of D, this is a subpar facility. Based on our assessment, we would struggle to recommend this place. The only positive thing we can say about this nursing home is that it didn't receive any F's in any of the categories we assessed. More information about its category grades is available below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Diversicare of Smyrna
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Note: Diversicare of Smyrna has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Smyrna senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we did not rate this facility well overall, we want to note its decent government inspection reports in recent years. We gave it a relatively respectable grade of B- in that category. We believe that one of the most important factors in assessing an inspection report is deficiencies. We especially look at the severity of those deficiencies. This particular nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report. On top of having severe deficiencies, this facility was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We would not recommend this facility under any circumstance.
This nursing home actually received a decent grade in the area of nursing as well. We awarded it a grade of B- for that category, which is not a bad score. We weighed the qualifications of nurses at the nursing home, as well as the number of hours the nurses were with patients, in computing our rating in this area. This nursing home averages just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Finally, nursing grades also consider quality-based measures, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this nursing home performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has sufficient quality controls in place. Some falls can be avoided if a facility supplies enough nurses aids to assist its patients.
Does this page answer your questions about Diversicare of Smyrna?
Long-term Care Quality
The third area we graded is long-term care. In that area, we gave this facility a decent grade of B-. In the area of long-term care, we look at the quantity of care provided by a nursing home, as opposed to more sophisticated services. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. We discovered that this nursing home gave the vaccine to only 55.136986 percent of its patients, which is not a very encouraging sign. Nevertheless, this nursing home was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our fourth area, this facility was awarded a grade of C in short-term care, which is generally an acceptable grade. In the category of short-term care, we try to qualify indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We assess a nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Unfortunately, this facility was below average in terms of its number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its residents based on the metrics we assessed. The final statistic we considered in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 5.1 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Diversicare of Smyrna Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Diversicare of Smyrna, 6.56% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Diversicare of Smyrna, 2.05% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a fall leading to serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Diversicare of Smyrna, 2.11% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Diversicare of Smyrna, 14.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric tells you the percent of long-term stay patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Diversicare of Smyrna, 28.24% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Diversicare of Smyrna, 0.37% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Diversicare of Smyrna, 68.04% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Diversicare of Smyrna, 11.24% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Diversicare of Smyrna, 18.02% of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that maintained mobility. Many argue that the ability to move around is vital to residents' physical and mental well-being.
In Diversicare of Smyrna, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Diversicare of Smyrna, 18.02% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Diversicare of Smyrna, 14.15% of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Diversicare of Smyrna, 82.42% of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements.
- Tristar Stonecrest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.11 miles away200 Stonecrest Boulevard Smyrna Tennessee 37167Proprietary(615) 768-2000
- Saint Thomas Rutherford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.41 miles away1700 Medical Center Parkway Murfreesboro Tennessee 37129Voluntary non-profit - Church(615) 396-4100
- Tristar Southern Hills Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.81 miles away391 Wallace Rd Nashville Tennessee 37211Proprietary(615) 781-4000
- Tristar Summit Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.81 miles away5655 Frist Blvd Hermitage Tennessee 37076Proprietary(615) 316-3000
- Williamson Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.83 miles away4321 Carothers Parkway Franklin Tennessee 37067Government - Hospital District or Authority(615) 435-5000
- Rolling Hills Psychiatric HospitalPsychiatric 17.86 miles away2014 Quail Hollow Circle Franklin Tennessee 37067Voluntary non-profit - Private(615) 226-4930
- Tennova Healthcare-LebanonAcute Care Hospitals 19.61 miles away1411 Baddour Parkway Lebanon Tennessee 37087Voluntary non-profit - Private(615) 444-8262
- Vanderbilt University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.77 miles away1211 Medical Center Drive Nashville Tennessee 37232Voluntary non-profit - Private(615) 322-3454
- Fmc Dialysis Assoc. Of Smyrna0.67 miles away10519 Cedar Grove Rd Smyrna Tennessee 37167Dialysis Stations: 16 (615) 220-1739
- Davita Smyrna2.96 miles away537 Stonecrest Pkwy Suite 110 Smyrna Tennessee 37167Dialysis Stations: 8 (615) 220-2716
- Dci Murfreesboro9.2 miles away1617 Williams Drive Suite 100 Murfreesboro Tennessee 37129CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (615) 890-7741
- Dialysis Assoc. Of Murfreesboro-Ht9.29 miles away1524 Williams Drive, Suite 200 Murfreesboro Tennessee 37129Dialysis Stations: 8 (615) 904-6994
- Dialysis Associate, LLC9.74 miles away5214 Hickory Hollow Parkway Antioch Tennessee 37013Dialysis Stations: 17 (615) 731-6368
- Murfreesboro Dialysis10.77 miles away1346 Dow St. Murfreesboro Tennessee 37130Dialysis Stations: 12 (615) 890-7270
- Davita Woodbine Dialysis12.46 miles away5209 Linbar Drive, Suite 605 Nashville Tennessee 37211Dialysis Stations: 11 (615) 333-9765
- Dci Southern Hills13.63 miles away510 Recovery Road Suite 100 Nashville Tennessee 37211CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (615) 832-0761