Ditmas Park Nursing and Rehab is a large facility in Brooklyn, New York. This is a highly rated facility, with an overall grade of B+. In fact, we ranked this nursing home as the fourth best facility in Brooklyn. We also gave this nursing home strong scores in all of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Ditmas Park Nursing and Rehab
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
On top of earning a strong overall rating, this facility performed even better in the area of inspections which is based on the facility's recent inspection reports. In fact, we gave it an A for this area, which is one of our best scores. Arguably the most significant factor we look at in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with better scores in this category typically dodged the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. We should note that deficiency-free inspections are rare in the industry.
Long-term Care Quality
Contributing to its profile, this facility also received a grade of B+ for its long-term care rating. This is an above average score in this area. If you are looking for services other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care scores. After we finished looking at the amount of nursing care, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination data. This facility vaccinated 61.57113 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we hoped for, we were pleased to find place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Ditmas Park Nursing and Rehab?
This facility is also strong in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of B. It outperformed most nursing homes in this category. Nursing grades are mostly tied to the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to our last area, this nursing home received a highly favorable short-term care rating. This nursing home did not end up having any noticeable weaknesses. In computing our short-term care grades, we assess the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The purpose is to formulate a tool for comparing the rehabilitation services of different facilities. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of residents who returned home from this nursing home. We found that 4.9 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Ditmas Park Nursing and Rehab Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Ditmas Park Nursing and Rehab, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents which have new or worsened pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Ditmas Park Nursing and Rehab, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients who sustained a fall which caused severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Ditmas Park Nursing and Rehab, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely the result of poor nursing care. Additional nurse staffing can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this statistic is affected by by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Ditmas Park Nursing and Rehab, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to patients for many medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Ditmas Park Nursing and Rehab, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Ditmas Park Nursing and Rehab, 13.2% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Ditmas Park Nursing and Rehab, 91.26% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Ditmas Park Nursing and Rehab, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Ditmas Park Nursing and Rehab, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents that maintained mobility. Many in the industry argue that the ability to move around is important for patients health.
In Ditmas Park Nursing and Rehab, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Ditmas Park Nursing and Rehab, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Ditmas Park Nursing and Rehab, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Ditmas Park Nursing and Rehab, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with activities of daily living usually correlates with better rehabilitation.
Scores for Brooklyn, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Brooklyn, New York has 39 other nursing homes
- University Hospital of Brooklyn ( Downstate )Acute Care Hospitals 1.2 miles away445 Lenox Road Brooklyn New York 11203Government - State(718) 270-1000
- Kings County Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.31 miles away451 Clarkson Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Government - Local(718) 245-3901
- Kingsbrook Jewish Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.81 miles away585 Schenectady Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 604-5789
- New York Community Hospital of Brooklyn, Inc.Acute Care Hospitals 1.88 miles away2525 Kings Highway Brooklyn New York 11229Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 692-5302
- Maimonides Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.14 miles away4802 Tenth Avenue Brooklyn New York 11219Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 283-6000
- New York-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.25 miles away506 Sixth Street Brooklyn New York 11215Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 780-3000
- Brookdale Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.55 miles away1 Brookdale Plaza Brooklyn New York 11212Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 240-5966
- Brooklyn Hospital Center - Downtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 3.61 miles away121 Dekalb Avenue Brooklyn New York 11201Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 250-8000
- Palm Garden Dialysis Center0.79 miles away615 Avenue C Brooklyn New York 11218Dialysis Stations: 12 (718) 633-3300
- Davita Neomy Dialysis Center0.84 miles away1122 Coney Island Avenue Brooklyn New York 11230CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (718) 434-1444
- Davita Millennium Dialysis0.86 miles away1408 Ocean Avenue 2nd Floor Brooklyn New York 11230CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 677-7600
- Prospect Park Dialysis1.17 miles away672 Parkside Avenue Brooklyn New York 11226CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (718) 408-6190
- Rogosin Institute Brooklyn Home Dialysis Inc1.17 miles awayRogosin Institute Brooklyn Home Dialysis Inc. Brooklyn New York 11231Dialysis Stations: 1 (646) 317-0564
- Suny Parkside Dialysis Center1.2 miles away710 Parkside Avenue Brooklyn New York 11226CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 703-5900
- Nyc Health + Hospitals/Kings County1.34 miles away451 Clarkson Avenue Dialysis Unit, Rm c6210 Brooklyn New York 11203Dialysis Stations: 26 (718) 613-8151
- Davita Utica Avenue Dialysis Center1.48 miles away1305 Utica Ave Empire State Dc Brooklyn New York 11203CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (718) 629-3900