Desert Terrace Healthcare Center is an average-sized facility located in Phoenix, Arizona. This facility was awarded an overall grade of B, which is favorable score. The facilities in Phoenix received high scores across the board with a B+ city grade, making this one of the better places in Arizona to find a nursing home. This place's strong report card was highlighted by its inspection reports, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Desert Terrace Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
2509 North 24th Street,
Phoenix AZ 85008
74.81% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Lymphedema Care
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its strong overall score, we gave this place a grade of A- for our inspections rating. Arguably the most important factor we look at in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places with higher grades in this area typically avoided the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This nursing home was hit with 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This indicates that the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to be an immediate threat to resident health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies are not necessarily something to panic about.
Short-term Care Quality
Among this nursing home's other achievements is its elite short-term care score. It received one of our better grades in that category, with a grade of A-. Short-term care grades are based in part on a facility's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a wide range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we considered the number of residents who returned home from this facility. We found that 5.7 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Desert Terrace Healthcare Center?
Another strong feature for this facility is that it received an impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of B. Our nursing score is primarily associated with a facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we scored is long-term care. We gave this nursing home a C in that category. In the area of long-term care, we focus more on the quantity of care offered by a nursing home, as opposed to more medically-intensive services. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Candidly, we were a bit worried that this facility administered the vaccine to a relatively low 81.15942 percent of its residents. Nevertheless, this facility excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Desert Terrace Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Desert Terrace Healthcare Center, 8.97% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Desert Terrace Healthcare Center, 2.2% of Patients had Serious Falls
This measures the percent of long-term residents which have experienced a fall which caused severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Desert Terrace Healthcare Center, 1.68% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who experienced a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be an indicator of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic may be skewed for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Desert Terrace Healthcare Center, 11.03% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Desert Terrace Healthcare Center, 16.78% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Desert Terrace Healthcare Center, 3.1% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Desert Terrace Healthcare Center, 80.03% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Desert Terrace Healthcare Center, 12.44% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate the decline of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Desert Terrace Healthcare Center, 20.97% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that remained mobile levels.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Desert Terrace Healthcare Center, 20.97 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Desert Terrace Healthcare Center, 11.03 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Desert Terrace Healthcare Center, 73.85% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term residents who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Phoenix, AZ
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Phoenix, Arizona has 23 other nursing homes
- Valleywise Health Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.19 miles away2601 East Roosevelt Street Phoenix Arizona 85008Government - Local(602) 344-5011
- Valley HospitalPsychiatric 1.51 miles away3550 East Pinchot Avenue Phoenix Arizona 85018Voluntary non-profit - Other(602) 957-4000
- Banner - University Medical Center PhoenixAcute Care Hospitals 1.74 miles away1111 East Mcdowell Road Phoenix Arizona 85006Voluntary non-profit - Other(602) 239-2000
- St Luke's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.8 miles away1800 East Van Buren Street Phoenix Arizona 85006Proprietary(602) 251-8156
- St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.86 miles away350 West Thomas Road Phoenix Arizona 85013Voluntary non-profit - Church(602) 406-5001
- Abrazo Central CampusAcute Care Hospitals 5.37 miles away2000 West Bethany Home Road Phoenix Arizona 85015Physician(602) 249-0212
- Scottsdale Osborn Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.26 miles away7400 East Osborn Road Scottsdale Arizona 85251Proprietary(480) 882-4004
- John C. Lincoln North Mountain HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.81 miles away250 East Dunlap Avenue Phoenix Arizona 85020Voluntary non-profit - Private(602) 331-5862
- Pediatric Dialysis Center of Phoenix LLC0.39 miles away2545 East Thomas Road Suite 100 Phoenix Arizona 85016Dialysis Stations: 2 (602) 957-1648
- Phoenix Childrens Hospital- Dialysis Center0.61 miles away1920 E Cambridge Rd Ste 102 Phoenix Arizona 85016Dialysis Stations: 6 (602) 933-3220
- Maricopa Medical Ctr - Dialysis1.24 miles away2525 E Roosevelt St Phoenix Arizona 85008CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 11 (602) 344-1601
- Arcadia Dialysis Center (Fmc)1.47 miles away4021 N. 30th Street Phoenix Arizona 85016CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (602) 957-2142
- Evergreen Park Dialysis1.9 miles away926 E Mc Dowell Rd Suite 100 Phoenix Arizona 85006Dialysis Stations: 20 (602) 252-1418
- Papago Dialysis (Dva)2.3 miles away5115 East Thomas, Suite #115 Phoenix Arizona 85018Dialysis Stations: 13 (602) 956-1831
- Central Phx Dialysis (Fmc)3.2 miles away3421 N 7th Ave Phoenix Arizona 85013CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (602) 274-2293
- Fresenius Kidney Care Desert Sage3.21 miles away4901 W Mcdowell Road Suite 120 Phoenix Arizona 85035Dialysis Stations: 25 (602) 272-3116