With an address in Smyrna, Georgia, Delmar Gardens of Smyrna is the lone nursing home located there. This nursing home turns out to be a quality facility, with an overall grade of B+. Based on our assessment, this place has quite a bit going for it. This nursing home's strong profile was highlighted by its inspection score, which is addressed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Delmar Gardens of Smyrna
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Smyrna senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Aquatic Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Georgia Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Georgia Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a strong nursing home overall, this place especially excelled in our inspections category, where it received a grade of A. Not many nursing homes performed better in this area. These inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in this industry.
Short-term Care Quality
In addition, this facility also received favorable short-term care scores this year. In fact, we gave them one of our higher scores in that area, with a score of B+. Our short-term care grades are crucial for people in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes more highly-skilled nursing. This includes a vast scope of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. It does not look like this nursing home submitted registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who who were able to eventually return home from this facility. We found that 6.1 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Delmar Gardens of Smyrna?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's third best category was long-term care. In that category, we awarded this facility a B-. For prospective residents seeking a permanent place to live rather than skilled nursing, long-term care grades are an important measure. On top of considering the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Thankfully, this facility provided the vaccine to 98.50746 percent of its patients, which is a very respectable statistic. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Switching gears to the fourth category, this nursing home received a respectable nursing score. Although this is not quite as impressive as a few of its other scores, this is still not a terrible score. Our nursing score focuses on the facility's nurse staffing levels. We look at both the levels of skill of those nurses and the amount of time spent with residents. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Finally, nursing scores also factor in quality-based assessments, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this place actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is typically a reliable indicator that a nursing home has quality controls in place. Some falls can be avoided if a nursing home provides enough nurses to assist its patients.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Delmar Gardens of Smyrna Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Delmar Gardens of Smyrna, 9.85% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Delmar Gardens of Smyrna, 2.39% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that have had a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Delmar Gardens of Smyrna, 0.33% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely the result of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric can also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Delmar Gardens of Smyrna, 12.85% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term residents who are prescribed antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of residents suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Delmar Gardens of Smyrna, 21.15% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Delmar Gardens of Smyrna, 0.93% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Delmar Gardens of Smyrna, 95.3% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Delmar Gardens of Smyrna, 4.12% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Delmar Gardens of Smyrna, 6.27% of Residents
This is the percentage of patients that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Delmar Gardens of Smyrna, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Delmar Gardens of Smyrna, 6.27% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Delmar Gardens of Smyrna, 6.57% of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Delmar Gardens of Smyrna, 79.24% of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many would argue this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
- Wellstar Cobb HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.87 miles away3950 Austell Rd Austell Georgia 30106Voluntary non-profit - Other(770) 732-4000
- Piedmont HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.74 miles away1968 Peachtree Rd Nw Atlanta Georgia 30309Voluntary non-profit - Private(404) 605-5000
- Wellstar Kennestone HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.96 miles away677 Church Street Marietta Georgia 30060Government - Hospital District or Authority(770) 793-5000
- Emory University Hospital MidtownAcute Care Hospitals 9.53 miles away550 Peachtree Street, Ne Atlanta Georgia 30308Voluntary non-profit - Private(404) 686-4411
- Northside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.03 miles away1000 Johnson Ferry Road, Ne Atlanta Georgia 30342Voluntary non-profit - Private(404) 851-8000
- Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Scottish RiteChildrens 10.05 miles away1001 Johnson Ferry Road Atlanta Georgia 30342Voluntary non-profit - Other(404) 785-5252
- Saint Joseph's Hospital of Atlanta, IncAcute Care Hospitals 10.21 miles away5665 Peachtree Dunwoody Road Atlanta Georgia 30342Voluntary non-profit - Private(678) 843-5720
- Wellstar Atlanta Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.3 miles away303 Parkway Drive, Ne Atlanta Georgia 30312Proprietary(404) 265-4000
- Fresenius Medical Care Highlands2.09 miles away2700 Highlands Parkway Ste A Smyrna Georgia 30082Dialysis Stations: 21 (678) 303-5064
- Cobb Dialysis4.94 miles away3865 Medical Park Drive Austell Georgia 30106CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (770) 941-3898
- Fresenius Kidney Care Mableton5.3 miles away1380 Veterans Memorial Hwy Sw Mableton Georgia 30126Dialysis Stations: 17 (770) 485-1773
- Reliant Renal Care Georgia, LLC5.73 miles away1720 Powder Springs Rd Marietta Georgia 30064Dialysis Stations: 17 (678) 402-6048
- Colonial Springs Dialysis5.99 miles away2840 East West Connector Suite 350 Austell Georgia 30106CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (770) 222-2236
- Davita Center Hill Dialysis6.51 miles away2045 Donald Lee Hollowell Pkwy Nw Nw Atlanta Georgia 30318Dialysis Stations: 13 (404) 792-1611
- Us Renal Care Cobb Renal Center6.61 miles away506 Roswell Street Suite 100 Marietta Georgia 30060Dialysis Stations: 16 (770) 426-5110
- Southstar Adamsville Dialysis6.62 miles away3651 Bakers Ferry Rd Sw Atlanta Georgia 30331CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (404) 472-1856