With an address in Smyrna, Georgia, Delmar Gardens of Smyrna is the lone nursing home located there. This nursing home turns out to be a quality facility, with an overall grade of B+. Based on our assessment, this place has quite a bit going for it. This nursing home's strong profile was highlighted by its inspection score, which is addressed in the next section.
Delmar Gardens of Smyrna
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Aquatic Therapy
Top Nursing Home in Georgia Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Georgia Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is it received an A+ inspection grade. This is as good as it gets in this category. These inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Fortunately, although this nursing home had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G through L. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility truly excelled in the area of short-term care, where we gave it a grade of A-. Very few nursing homes performed more favorably in this area. With our short-term care assessment, we endeavor to create a fair measure for rehabilitation. In this process, we assess a nursing home's levels of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last datapoint we looked at in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that 6.3 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Delmar Gardens of Smyrna?
Long-term Care Quality
The third category we assessed is long-term care. It received one of our best grades in that area, with a A-. Nursing homes that do well in this category tend to provide residents with better supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 98.46154 percent of its patients, which is very impressive. Pneumonia can be a life or death ailment for nursing home residents so we strongly prefer when a facility does not leave this to chance. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Switching gears to the fourth category, this nursing home received a respectable nursing score. Although this is not quite as impressive as a few of its other scores, this is still not a terrible score. Our nursing score focuses on the facility's nurse staffing levels. We look at both the levels of skill of those nurses and the amount of time spent with residents. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Finally, nursing scores also factor in quality-based assessments, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this place actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is typically a reliable indicator that a nursing home has quality controls in place. Some falls can be avoided if a nursing home provides enough nurses to assist its patients.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Delmar Gardens of Smyrna Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Delmar Gardens of Smyrna, 10.37% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Delmar Gardens of Smyrna, 3.17% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that have had a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Delmar Gardens of Smyrna, 3.19% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely the result of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric can also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Delmar Gardens of Smyrna, 18.14% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term residents who are prescribed antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of residents suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Delmar Gardens of Smyrna, 21.34% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Delmar Gardens of Smyrna, 5.28% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Delmar Gardens of Smyrna, 93.36% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Delmar Gardens of Smyrna, 16.65% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Delmar Gardens of Smyrna, 20.73% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Delmar Gardens of Smyrna, 1.6 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Delmar Gardens of Smyrna, 20.73 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Delmar Gardens of Smyrna, 11.5 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Delmar Gardens of Smyrna, 69.89% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many would argue this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
- Wellstar Cobb HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.87 miles away3950 Austell Rd Austell Georgia 30106Voluntary non-profit - Other(770) 732-4000
- Piedmont HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.74 miles away1968 Peachtree Rd Nw Atlanta Georgia 30309Voluntary non-profit - Private(404) 605-5000
- Wellstar Kennestone HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.96 miles away677 Church Street Marietta Georgia 30060Government - Hospital District or Authority(770) 793-5000
- Emory University Hospital MidtownAcute Care Hospitals 9.53 miles away550 Peachtree Street, Ne Atlanta Georgia 30308Voluntary non-profit - Private(404) 686-4411
- Northside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.03 miles away1000 Johnson Ferry Road, Ne Atlanta Georgia 30342Voluntary non-profit - Private(404) 851-8000
- Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Scottish RiteChildrens 10.05 miles away1001 Johnson Ferry Road Atlanta Georgia 30342Voluntary non-profit - Other(404) 785-5252
- Saint Joseph's Hospital of Atlanta, IncAcute Care Hospitals 10.21 miles away5665 Peachtree Dunwoody Road Atlanta Georgia 30342Voluntary non-profit - Private(678) 843-5720
- Wellstar Atlanta Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.3 miles away303 Parkway Drive, Ne Atlanta Georgia 30312Proprietary(404) 265-4000
- Fresenius Medical Care Highlands2.09 miles away2700 Highlands Parkway Ste A Smyrna Georgia 30082Dialysis Stations: 21 (678) 303-5064
- Cobb Dialysis4.94 miles away3865 Medical Park Drive Austell Georgia 30106CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (770) 941-3898
- Fresenius Kidney Care Mableton5.3 miles away1380 Veterans Memorial Hwy Sw Mableton Georgia 30126Dialysis Stations: 17 (770) 485-1773
- Reliant Renal Care Georgia, LLC5.73 miles away1720 Powder Springs Rd Marietta Georgia 30064Dialysis Stations: 17 (678) 402-6048
- Colonial Springs Dialysis5.99 miles away2840 East West Connector Suite 350 Austell Georgia 30106CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (770) 222-2236
- Davita Center Hill Dialysis6.51 miles away2045 Donald Lee Hollowell Pkwy Nw Nw Atlanta Georgia 30318Dialysis Stations: 13 (404) 792-1611
- Us Renal Care Cobb Renal Center6.61 miles away506 Roswell Street Suite 100 Marietta Georgia 30060Dialysis Stations: 16 (770) 426-5110
- Southstar Adamsville Dialysis6.62 miles away3651 Bakers Ferry Rd Sw Atlanta Georgia 30331CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (404) 472-1856