Crown Bay Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is a nursing home in Alameda, California. The city has 73,812 people. Sporting an overall score of B, this facility is a great choice. Based on our ratings, this place has quite a bit going for it. This nursing home was better in some categories than others, but it did not have any bad scores in any of the four major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Crown Bay Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Alameda senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Aquatic Therapy
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
On top of earning a great overall rating, this nursing home performed even better in the area of inspections which is based on the nursing home's recent inspections. In fact, we awarded it an A- for that area, which is one of our highest scores. Inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are rare in the industry.
One of the other reasons we graded this nursing home so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing grade. In that area, we gave this facility an A-. Nursing grades are based in large part on quality and quantity of nursing care. This facility provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Crown Bay Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home is also strong in the area of short-term care, where it was awarded a grade of B. It performed more favorably than most nursing homes in this category. In our short-term care assessment, we strive to forge a sound barometer for rehabilitation services. In this process, we analyze the facility's level of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final item we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents that who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that 4.9 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we graded was long-term care. We gave this nursing home a grade of B- in that area. With our long-term care category, we focus on the amount of care offered by a nursing home, as well as a series of qualitative metrics. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 91.01449 percent of its residents. This is a bit less than we expected but still a respectable percentage. Nevertheless, this facility excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Crown Bay Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Crown Bay Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care reduces the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Crown Bay Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that have experienced a fall leading to major injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Crown Bay Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term patients who have sustained a UTI. UTI's could be a sign of lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint can also be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Crown Bay Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric tells you the percent of long-term care residents which were administered antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such medications are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Crown Bay Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents which are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Crown Bay Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 5.83% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Crown Bay Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 95.65% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Crown Bay Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and bathing. Many believe this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Crown Bay Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Crown Bay Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is key to the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Crown Bay Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Crown Bay Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Crown Bay Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation performance.
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.99 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- Highland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.19 miles away1411 East 31st Street Oakland California 94602Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 437-4800
- Alta Bates Summit Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.88 miles away350 Hawthorne Avenue Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 655-4000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Oakland/RichmondAcute Care Hospitals 4.13 miles away275 West Macarthur Boulevard Oakland California 94611Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 752-1000
- Children's Hospital & Research Center OaklandChildrens 5.01 miles away747 52nd Street Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 428-3000
- Alta Bates Summit Medical Center - Alta Bates CampAcute Care Hospitals 6.37 miles away2450 Ashby Avenue Berkeley California 94705Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 204-4444
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San LeandroAcute Care Hospitals 6.96 miles away2500 Merced Street San Leandro California 94577Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 454-1000
- Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hosp & Trauma CtrAcute Care Hospitals 7.35 miles away1001 Potrero Avenue San Francisco California 94110Government - Local(415) 206-8000
- Rai - East Bay - Oakland2.52 miles away2628 International Blvd, Ste 100 Oakland California 94601CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 261-8219
- Rai Peralta3.6 miles away2757 Telegraph Avenue Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 835-0154
- Satellite Dialysis Oakland3.95 miles away3330 Telegraph Ave Oakland California 94609CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 433-8340
- Alameda County Dialysis Center4.86 miles away10700 Macarthur Blvd. Building 7 Oakland California 94605CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 568-5849
- Rai Piedmont5.03 miles away2710 Telegraph Avenue Suite #100 Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (510) 286-9948
- Oakland Dialysis Center5.25 miles away5354 Claremont Avenue Oakland California 94618CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (510) 597-0104
- Wellbound of Emeryville5.32 miles away2000 Powell Street Suite 140 Emeryville California 94608Dialysis Stations: 4 (510) 985-9660
- Us Renal Care Berkeley6.21 miles away2895 7th Street Berkeley California 94710Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 843-0627