Coventry Meadows is in the large metropolitan area of Fort Wayne, Indiana which has a population of 305,409 people. This facility received an overall grade of B, which is a quality grade. Based on our analysis, you could do much worse than this nursing home. This place was stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any poor grades in any of our major areas discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Fort Wayne senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - City/county
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its favorable overall grade, we awarded this nursing home an A+ for the area of inspections. Our inspection grades are tied to items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that receive favorable grades in this area tend to have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. While this nursing home had a few minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you that the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are rare in this industry.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home is also above average in the area of short-term care, where it was given a score of B+. It performed more favorably than most nursing homes in this category. Our short-term care ratings are based on a facility's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a broad range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, in addition to other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents that ultimately were able to return home from this facility. We found that 6.5 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Coventry Meadows?
The next highest grade we gave this nursing home came in the category of nursing, where we gave it a grade of C. This wasn't quite as good as some of its other scores, but a grade in this range is not the end of the world. We analyzed the levels of nurses working for the facility, as well as the quantity of time the nurses were with residents, in computing our rating in this category. This facility provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is a lower figure than we were hoping for. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility actually excelled in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. It performed well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we rated is long-term care. We awarded this nursing home a grade of C in that area. In our long-term care assessment, we focus more on the volume of services offered by a nursing home, as well as some quality metrics. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 92.75766 percent of its residents. This is a few points less than we were hoping for but still a decent percentage. Fortunately, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Coventry Meadows Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Coventry Meadows, 6.12% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Coventry Meadows, 2.51% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are often the result of lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols can limit the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Coventry Meadows, 1.13% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Coventry Meadows, 9.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Coventry Meadows, 12.34% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Coventry Meadows, 16.92% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Coventry Meadows, 91.12% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Coventry Meadows, 24.08% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could indicate the deterioration of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Coventry Meadows, 16.63% of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Coventry Meadows, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Coventry Meadows, 16.63% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Coventry Meadows, 3.5% of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Coventry Meadows, 81.46% of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts would argue that this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Fort Wayne, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Fort Wayne, Indiana has 11 other nursing homes
- Lutheran Hospital of IndianaAcute Care Hospitals 0.15 miles away7950 W Jefferson Blvd Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Proprietary(260) 435-7001
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.68 miles away700 Broadway Fort Wayne Indiana 46802Proprietary(260) 425-3000
- Dupont Hospital LLCAcute Care Hospitals 11.95 miles away2520 E Dupont Rd Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Proprietary(260) 416-3000
- Orthopaedic Hospital at Parkview North LLCAcute Care Hospitals 12.74 miles away11130 Parkview Circle Dr Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 672-4050
- Parkview Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.76 miles away11109 Parkview Plaza Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 266-1000
- Parkview Whitley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.25 miles away1260 E Sr 205 Columbia City Indiana 46725Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 248-9301
- Parkview Huntington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.86 miles away2001 Stults Rd Huntington Indiana 46750Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 355-3000
- Fmc - Northeast Indiana Kidney Ctr - Fort Wayne0.94 miles away7836 W. Jefferson Blvd., Suite ll10 Fort Wayne Indiana 46804CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (260) 432-4225
- Davita - Appleseed2.35 miles away1833 Magnavox Way Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 4 (260) 432-1036
- Davita - Fort Wayne West3.21 miles away4916 Illinois Road, Suite 118 Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 14 (260) 434-0483
- Randolph Dialysis, LLC3.94 miles away6721 Old Trail Road Fort Wayne Indiana 46809Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 478-8582
- Davita - Fort Wayne South5.75 miles away302 E. Pettit Ave. Fort Wayne Indiana 46806CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (260) 456-0451
- Davita - Summit City Dialysis9.03 miles away3233 East Coliseum Blvd. Fort Wayne Indiana 46805CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (260) 373-1599
- Davita-Fort Wayne North Dialysis11.23 miles away415 E Dupont Road Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Dialysis Stations: 13 (260) 637-0431
- Fmc - Dupont Dialysis11.95 miles away10204 East Dupont Circle Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46825CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 489-9255