With an address in Saginaw, Michigan, Covenant Medical Center is one of seven nursing homes in the area. With an A+ overall grade, we ranked this facility number 293 in the United States. This puts it in the top two percent of all nursing homes. We could not find many negative things to say about this nursing home. Its ratings are as good as they get. As you can find below, this facility performed just as well in our category ratings. We gave it a straight A report card!
Covenant Medical Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
515 N. Michigan,
Saginaw MI 48602
59% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for its nursing grade. When computing our nursing scores, we look at both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the training levels of those nurses. This place provided 8.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day, which is among the higher totals in the country. A significant portion of those hours were provided by registered nurses, which are one of the more skilled levels of nurses. We are really impressed by these figures. On top of offering impressive levels of nursing care, this nursing home also excelled in the quality measures we looked at. By way of illustration, it performed as well as any nursing home in Michigan in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We view these statistics as predictive indicators of the caliber of nursing care provided.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility received quality marks in the category of short-term care. For this reason, it was given one of our most impressive grades in that area with a grade of A+. Our short-term care scores are vital for prospective residents looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means a wide spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. One of this nursing home's strengths is registered nurse hours. We found that it offers more care from registered nurses to its residents than most facilities. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients that ultimately were able to return home from this facility. It fared as well as just about any nursing home in the country with 69.7 percent of its residents returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about Covenant Medical Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning our third area, we awarded this nursing home a score of A for our long-term care rating. This is a very strong grade. In a long-term care setting, the facility's primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. One of the factors we considered after nursing hours is vaccinations. It does not appear that this facility submitted vaccination data. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Adding to its impressive category grades, this nursing home also excelled in inspections, where it earned a score of A. This wrapped up a straight A report card for this nursing home. Our inspection grades account for several factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher scores in this area generally have very few severe deficiencies. While this facility had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Covenant Medical Center Quality Metrics
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Covenant Medical Center, 10.82 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Covenant Medical Center, 76.52% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's often correlates with better rehabilitation.
Scores for Saginaw, MI
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Saginaw, Michigan has 6 other nursing homes
- Covenant Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.57 miles away1447 N Harrison Saginaw Michigan 48602Voluntary non-profit - Private(989) 583-4000
- Ascension St Mary's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.98 miles away800 S Washington Avenue Saginaw Michigan 48601Voluntary non-profit - Church(989) 776-8000
- Healthsource SaginawAcute Care Hospitals 5.22 miles away3340 Hospital Road Saginaw Michigan 48603Voluntary non-profit - Other(989) 790-7888
- Mclaren Bay RegionAcute Care Hospitals 12.61 miles away1900 Columbus Ave Bay City Michigan 48708Voluntary non-profit - Private(989) 894-3000
- Town Center Dialysis - Davita0.14 miles away323 N Michigan Ave Saginaw Michigan 48602CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (989) 791-3624
- Bay Area Regl Dialysis Ctr - Saginaw Riverside0.32 miles away920 N Niagara St Saginaw Michigan 48602CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (989) 921-2170
- Saginaw Dialysis Clinic - Davita1.08 miles away311 Hoyt Ave Saginaw Michigan 48607Dialysis Stations: 13 (989) 771-5094
- Bay Area Regl Dialysis Ctr - Saginaw3.9 miles away4800 Mcleod Dr E Saginaw Michigan 48604CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (989) 790-9440
- Gulch Dialysis LLC4.82 miles away5641 Bay Rd Saginaw Michigan 48604Dialysis Stations: 13 (989) 249-1350
- Davita Colmare Dialysis7.1 miles away6302 Dixie Hwy Bridgeport Michigan 48722Dialysis Stations: 12 (989) 777-0780
- Davita - Bay City Dialysis12.51 miles away3170 Professional Ct Bay City Michigan 48706CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (989) 686-8782
- Bay Area Reg Dialysis - Essexville13.57 miles away1536 W Center Rd Essexville Michigan 48732Dialysis Stations: 24 (989) 894-2810