Covenant Home is an average-sized non-profit nursing home located in New Orleans, Louisiana. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of B-. A grade of this caliber requires some decent marks. In spite of New Orleans featuring 15 other nursing homes available, this one should be a perfectly acceptable option. One of the best aspects of this nursing home's profile is its remarkable inspection score, which is addressed in the next section.
- Nursing Home
- Contracted Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a respectable nursing home overall, this facility also excelled in the area of inspections, where it received an A+. Few nursing homes performed better in this category. Our inspection grades weigh a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better scores in this category usually have very few of these severe deficiencies. Amazingly, this was one of the few nursing homes in the country that had no deficiencies whatsoever on its inspection report. This is very impressive. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the area of long-term care, we gave this facility a grade of A- in that category. Nursing homes that receive this type of score in long-term care tend to provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure patients are kept in good health. After assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 97.967476 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is significantly higher than the majority of nursing homes. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Covenant Home?
Short-term Care Quality
The third area we looked at is short-term care. Unfortunately, in that category, we awarded this facility an F. This is nowhere near as high as some of its other category scores. Quite frankly, this is a lower grade than we were expecting. In the area of short-term care, we try to evaluate indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. We found that this facility was below average in terms of its quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its patients based on the data we assessed. The last metric we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents who who were able to eventually return home from the facility. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 0 percent of its patients returning home. This was well below the national average.
The last area we graded was nursing, which ended up being this nursing home's least impressive area. Unfortunately, we gave it an F for this category, which is certainly a major disappointment. We looked at the skill-level of nurses working for the facility, in addition to the quantity of hours those nurses spent with patients, in calculating our score in this category. With just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis, this place's nurse staffing levels were far below the national average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing ratings. This place fared well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Covenant Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Covenant Home, 9.89% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents who suffer from pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are an indicator of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Covenant Home, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Covenant Home, 2.76% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who suffered from UTI's. UTI's could be an indicator of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this datapoint may also be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Covenant Home, 15.79% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many patients, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Covenant Home, 22.51% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure indicates the percent of long-term patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Covenant Home, 1.54% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Covenant Home, 89.03% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Covenant Home, 17.58% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Covenant Home, 16.37% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients that were able to retain mobility. Some experts would argue that mobility is critical to patients mental and physical health.
In Covenant Home, 1.85 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is key to the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Covenant Home, 16.37 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Scores for New Orleans, LA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? New Orleans, Louisiana has 14 other nursing homes
- Childrens HospitalChildrens 0.5 miles away200 Henry Clay Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70118Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 899-9511
- Touro InfirmaryAcute Care Hospitals 1.7 miles away1401 Foucher Street New Orleans Louisiana 70115Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 897-8247
- West Jefferson Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.54 miles away1101 Medical Center Blvd Marrero Louisiana 70072Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 347-5511
- Ochsner Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.15 miles away1516 Jefferson Hwy New Orleans Louisiana 70121Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 842-3000
- Tulane Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.56 miles away1415 Tulane Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 988-5263
- University Medical Center New OrleansAcute Care Hospitals 3.63 miles away2000 Canal Street New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 903-3000
- East Jefferson General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.26 miles away4200 Houma Blvd Metairie Louisiana 70006Government - Hospital District or Authority(504) 454-4000
- St Bernard Parish HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.37 miles away8000 West Judge Perez Drive Chalmette Louisiana 70043Government - Hospital District or Authority(504) 826-9500
- Childrens Hospital-Dialysis0.49 miles away200 Henry Clay Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70118Dialysis Stations: 8 (504) 896-2061
- Davita - New Orleans Uptown Dialysis0.8 miles away1401 Foucher St 4th Fl-Dialysis Unit New Orleans Louisiana 70115CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (504) 897-8530
- Davita - Garden District Dx1.4 miles away2620 Jena New Orleans Louisiana 70115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (504) 269-6004
- Davita - Memorial Dialysis1.42 miles away4427 S Robertson St - 2nd Floor New Orleans Louisiana 70115CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (504) 899-1103
- New Orleans Kidney Ctr1.8 miles away3434 Prytania Ste 200 New Orleans Louisiana 70115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (504) 899-8414
- Fkc - New Orleans Uptown1.82 miles away2500 Louisiana Avenue New Orleans Louisiana 70115Dialysis Stations: 13 (504) 891-8608
- Fmcna - Westbank2.17 miles away5301 Westbank Expwy Marrero Louisiana 70072Dialysis Stations: 12 (504) 340-8577
- Fmcna - Marrero2.29 miles away7325 Westbank Expressway Marrero Louisiana 70072Dialysis Stations: 23 (504) 348-1845