Coral Reef Subacute Care Center is a large nursing home located in Miami, Florida. We awarded this facility an overall grade of B-. A grade of this caliber requires some solid marks. While there isn't anything wrong with a B-, it is worth noting that Miami received a city grade of B+ so there are plenty of good options in this city. One of the best aspects of this facility's profile is its stellar nursing score, which is addressed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Coral Reef Subacute Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Miami senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its decent overall score, we gave this nursing home a grade of A for our nursing rating. This score is far more impressive than the facility's overall rating. The nursing grade includes several subcategories, but the main one is the quantity of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility Florida in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as having a policy of turning a resident more frequently.
Long-term Care Quality
We also gave this facility an impressive score in long-term care. This facility received a grade of B in this area, which happens to be one of our more impressive scores. Facilities that do well in this category tend to be well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. Once we looked at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 98.49246 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is far higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Coral Reef Subacute Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The next best area we gave this facility in any category came in the area of short-term care, where we gave it a B-. Our short-term care grades are based on the facility's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a broad range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final statistic we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 3.9 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is below average.
The last category we assessed is inspections. We were surprised to find that this facility did not receive a favorable inspection score. We gave it a score of just D in this area. Clearly, this grade is not on par with some of this facility's other grades. Inspection ratings relate to a nursing home's inspections. Since this information is collected by government inspectors, we weight it pretty heavily. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining these inspection grades. One critical factor is health deficiencies. We suggest you pay close attention to the severity of those deficiencies. This particular nursing home was hit with 4 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only positive thing we can say is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they created a threat to patient safety or health. Lastly, we also would like to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home received significant government fines in recent years totaling more than $100,000. This generally indicates that a facility's poor performance has been an issue for several years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Coral Reef Subacute Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Coral Reef Subacute Care Center, 9.19% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Coral Reef Subacute Care Center, 2.87% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a fall resulting in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Coral Reef Subacute Care Center, 1.78% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who had urinary tract infections. While a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it can be problematic to compare between nursing homes due to nursing homes having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Coral Reef Subacute Care Center, 10.42% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who were administered antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically required. However, some nursing homes need to rely more on these medications due to having more patients suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Coral Reef Subacute Care Center, 21.31% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Coral Reef Subacute Care Center, 2.53% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. Some argue this is a reliable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Coral Reef Subacute Care Center, 95.81% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Coral Reef Subacute Care Center, 12.69% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Coral Reef Subacute Care Center, 14.03% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Coral Reef Subacute Care Center, 2.07 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Coral Reef Subacute Care Center, 14.03 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Coral Reef Subacute Care Center, 9.64 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Coral Reef Subacute Care Center, 77.72% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Miami, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Miami, Florida has 19 other nursing homes
- Baptist Hospital of MiamiAcute Care Hospitals 4.18 miles away8900 N Kendall Dr Miami Florida 33176Voluntary non-profit - Private(786) 596-1960
- South Miami HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.45 miles away6200 Sw 73rd St Miami Florida 33143Voluntary non-profit - Private(786) 662-4000
- Larkin Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.58 miles away7031 Sw 62nd Ave Miami Florida 33143Proprietary(305) 284-7500
- West Kendall Baptist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.27 miles away9555 Sw 162 Ave Miami Florida 33196Voluntary non-profit - Private(786) 467-2011
- Doctors HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.44 miles away5000 University Dr Miami Florida 33146Voluntary non-profit - Other(305) 666-2111
- Westchester General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.57 miles away2500 Sw 75th Ave Miami Florida 33155Proprietary(305) 263-9270
- Nicklaus Children's HospitalChildrens 8.75 miles away3100 Sw 62nd Ave Miami Florida 33155Voluntary non-profit - Private(305) 666-6511
- Homestead HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.63 miles away975 Baptist Way Homestead Florida 33033Voluntary non-profit - Private(786) 243-8000
- Fmc - South Miami1.21 miles away8770 Sw 144th St Miami Florida 33176CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (305) 255-3100
- Fresenius Kidney Care Perrine2.35 miles away10850 Sw 184th Street Miami Florida 33157Dialysis Stations: 21 (305) 232-5915
- Bma - Cutler Ridge2.76 miles away18942 S Dixie Hwy Miami Florida 33157CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (305) 252-7575
- South Dade Kidney Center3.02 miles away11040 Sw 184 Street Miami Florida 33157Dialysis Stations: 23 (305) 259-1516
- West Kendall Dialysis Center3.83 miles away12000 Sw 131st Ave Miami Florida 33186CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (305) 254-4840
- Dadeland Dialysis4.06 miles away9175 Sw 87th Ave Miami Florida 33176Dialysis Stations: 18 (305) 273-3830
- Bma - Kendall5.1 miles away9193 Sw 72nd St # 100-B Miami Florida 33173Dialysis Stations: 30 (305) 279-2010
- Kidney Treatment Center of South Florida5.31 miles away13500 N Kendall Dr #131 Miami Florida 33186CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (305) 388-5222