Copper Trace Family-first Senior Living is one of just a few facilities in Westfield, Indiana. We awarded this nursing home an overall grade of B. A score in this range requires quality scores in most areas. We actually ranked it as the number one facility in Westfield. This place's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection score, which you can find in the next section.
Copper Trace Family-first Senior Living
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
1250 W 146th Street,
Westfield IN 46074
95.67% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this turned out to be a strong nursing home is that it received a very impressive inspection grade. In fact, inspections turned out to be its best category grade. In that category, we gave it an A. Inspection grades account for a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher grades in this category tend to have few of these severe deficiencies. Although this place had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. A few minor deficiencies aren't something to panic about.
Short-term Care Quality
Among the reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it was given a dominant short-term care score. Indeed, short-term care turned out to be its second most favorable category score. In that area, we gave this nursing home a grade of A-. In calculating our short-term care ratings, we look at a facility's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This score is more often than not a meaningful assessment of the facility's rehabilitation services. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the number of patients that ultimately returned home from this facility. We found that 5.8 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Copper Trace Family-first Senior Living?
Adding to its profile, this facility also earned a grade of B+ for its nursing rating. This is a well above average score in this category. Our nursing rating includes many datapoints, however, the most important consideration is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as having a policy of moving residents more frequently.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we graded was long-term care, which proved to be this facility's worst category. It received an F in this category, which is certainly a bit of a disappointment. Nursing homes that do not fare well in long-term care typically aren't as well-staffed and are lagging in a few of the areas of routine medical care we looked at. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 86.05442 percent of its patients. This is multiple points lower than what we were hoping for. To our surprise, this nursing home actually fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had just 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Copper Trace Family-first Senior Living Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Copper Trace Family-first Senior Living, 7.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term care residents which developed new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a great measure of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Copper Trace Family-first Senior Living, 3.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that experienced a fall resulting in major injury. We use this statistic in computing our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Copper Trace Family-first Senior Living, 1.87% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often the result of poor nursing care. However, this statistic could be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Copper Trace Family-first Senior Living, 13.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure gauges the percent of long-term residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Copper Trace Family-first Senior Living, 21.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Copper Trace Family-first Senior Living, 12.89% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are exhibiting signs of depression. High levels of depression could indicate a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Copper Trace Family-first Senior Living, 91.48% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Copper Trace Family-first Senior Living, 15.74% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of the deterioration of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Copper Trace Family-first Senior Living, 15.7% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that maintained mobility.
In Copper Trace Family-first Senior Living, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Copper Trace Family-first Senior Living, 15.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Copper Trace Family-first Senior Living, 11.29 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Copper Trace Family-first Senior Living, 73.78% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with ADL's usually correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
- St Vincent Carmel Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 2.1 miles away13500 N Meridian St Carmel Indiana 46032Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 582-7000
- Indiana University Health North HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.95 miles away11700 N Meridian St Carmel Indiana 46032Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 688-2000
- St Vincent Heart Center of Indiana LLCAcute Care Hospitals 4.39 miles away10580 N Meridian St Indianapolis Indiana 46290Proprietary(317) 583-5000
- St Vincent Hospital & Health ServicesAcute Care Hospitals 6.13 miles away2001 W 86th St Indianapolis Indiana 46260Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 338-7000
- Riverview HealthAcute Care Hospitals 8.92 miles away395 Westfield Rd Noblesville Indiana 46060Government - Local(317) 773-0760
- Community Hospital NorthAcute Care Hospitals 9.98 miles away7150 Clearvista Dr Indianapolis Indiana 46256Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 621-5335
- St Vincent Fishers Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 13.84 miles away13861 Olio Road Fishers Indiana 46037Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 415-9000
- Indiana University HealthAcute Care Hospitals 14.49 miles away1701 N Senate Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 962-5900
- Dialyze Direct in, LLC1.83 miles away13295 Illinois St. Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 1 (463) 219-0231
- Fmc - Carmel2.32 miles away12400 North Meridian St., Ste 200 Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 12 (317) 575-8312
- Davita - Carmel Dialysis3.98 miles away180 East Carmel Drive Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 12 (317) 575-8916
- Davita - Carmel Health and Living4.06 miles away118 Medical Drive, Suite 114 Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 6 (317) 844-9045
- Davita Home Dialysis of Indianapolis5.89 miles away8803 N. Meridian Street Indianapolis Indiana 46260Dialysis Stations: 5 (317) 574-1798
- Nxkc Indianapolis Northwest, LLC6.04 miles away9101 N. Wesleyan Rd, Suite 115 Indianapolis Indiana 46268Dialysis Stations: 3 (317) 829-9770
- Fmc - Indianapolis-North6.08 miles away1225 W 86th Street Indianapolis Indiana 46260CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (317) 228-0169
- Fmc - Noblesville Dialysis8.89 miles away165 Sheridan Road Noblesville Indiana 46060Dialysis Stations: 12 (317) 770-8900