Riverfront Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center at Cooper River is located in Merchantville, New Jersey, a city with 22,407 people. This nursing home was awarded an overall grade of B, which is a good grade. As far as we can see, this nursing home looks like a good fit for quite a few people. This nursing home was better in some categories than others, but it did not have any weak links in any of our major areas discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Riverfront Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center at Cooper River
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Merchantville senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a quality nursing home overall, this nursing home really excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A-. We scrutinized the skill-level of nurses employed by the nursing home, in addition to the quantity of time those nurses were with residents, in calculating our score in this area. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Adding to its impressive grades, we gave this nursing home an A- for our inspections rating. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining these inspection grades. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies can be relatively insignificant. Fortunately, although this nursing home had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Riverfront Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center at Cooper River?
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we looked at was short-term care. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of B-. Our short-term care ratings are probably most important for individuals needing rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation usually requires more highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes not only nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final item we looked at in this category is the number of residents who returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 4.8 percent of this facility's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we analyzed was long-term care. For that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of C. Our long-term care ratings are based in part on the facility's quantity of nursing care. This means a vast spectrum of personal care services, ranging from assistance with activities of daily living to routine healthcare services. After assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination data. Frankly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this facility vaccinated 64.259254 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which happens to be several points lower than the national average. Nevertheless, this place was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Riverfront Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center at Cooper River Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Riverfront Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center at Cooper River, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents that suffered from pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are an measure of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Riverfront Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center at Cooper River, 2.79% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Major falls are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Riverfront Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center at Cooper River, 1.44% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often associated with a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this metric may be misleading for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Riverfront Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center at Cooper River, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term care residents that were given antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs aren't medically required. However, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of residents with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Riverfront Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center at Cooper River, 17.29% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of long-term residents which are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly used to treat patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Riverfront Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center at Cooper River, 6.37% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Riverfront Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center at Cooper River, 89.73% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Riverfront Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center at Cooper River, 10.05% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Riverfront Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center at Cooper River, 10.04% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Riverfront Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center at Cooper River, 1.88 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Riverfront Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center at Cooper River, 10.04 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Riverfront Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center at Cooper River, 9.47 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Riverfront Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center at Cooper River, 81.82% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Virtua Our Lady of Lourdes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.33 miles away1600 Haddon Avenue Camden New Jersey 08103Voluntary non-profit - Private(856) 580-6330
- Cooper University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.54 miles away1 Cooper Plaza Camden New Jersey 08103Voluntary non-profit - Private(856) 342-2000
- Pennsylvania HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.64 miles away800 Spruce Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19107Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 829-3000
- Thomas Jefferson University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.86 miles away111 South 11th Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19107Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 955-6000
- Hahnemann University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.23 miles away230 North Broad Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19102Proprietary(215) 762-7000
- St Christopher's Hospital for ChildrenChildrens 6.24 miles away160 East Erie Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19134Proprietary(215) 427-5000
- Children's Hospital of PhiladelphiaChildrens 6.57 miles away34th St & Civic Center Blvd Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19104Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 590-3745
- Temple University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.82 miles away3401 North Broad Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19140Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 707-2000
- Davita Pennsauken Dialysis Center0.53 miles away7024 Kaighns Ave Merchantville New Jersey 08109CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (856) 486-1145
- Davita Lourdes Camden Dialysis1.36 miles away1601 Haddon Avenue Camden New Jersey 08103CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (856) 541-0647
- Davita Merchantville Dialysis2.01 miles away5000 N Crescent Blvd Suite 1a Merchantville New Jersey 08109Dialysis Stations: 19 (856) 910-8798
- Davita Cherry Hill Dialysis3.57 miles away1030 N Kings Hwy Suite 100 Cherry Hill New Jersey 08034CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (856) 321-0111
- South Philadelphia Dialysis Center4.02 miles away109 Dickinson Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19147Dialysis Stations: 20 (215) 468-6616
- Davita Brooklawn Dialysis4.09 miles away700 Crescent Blvd Ste 10b Gloucester City New Jersey 08030Dialysis Stations: 19 (856) 456-1230
- Fmc Silver Dialysis4.21 miles awayDialysis Unit 1417 Brace Rd Suite B Cherry Hill New Jersey 08034Dialysis Stations: 35 (856) 216-8463
- Davita Franklin Dialysis at Home4.36 miles away301 Callowhill Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19123Dialysis Stations: 10 (215) 873-0711