Cook Willow Convalescent Hospi is a small nursing home located in Plymouth, Connecticut. This facility is among the most elite nursing homes we found. It received one of the highest scores that we offer. We were impressed enough to rank this facility as one of the 50 best facilities in Connecticut. As you will find below, this place performed equally well in our category scores. We gave it a straight A report card!
Cook Willow Convalescent Hospi
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
81 Hillside Avenue,
Plymouth CT 06782
92.33% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being an elite facility overall, this facility also performed well in our inspections category, where it earned an A+. Few places performed this well in this area. Our inspection ratings are based on many datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that excel in this area tend to have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This nursing home received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This means that CMS didn't consider any of these deficiencies to cause an immediate threat to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
One of the other reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing grade. This proved to be its second best category grade. In that area, we awarded this facility an A. When calculating a nursing home's nursing grade, we weigh the quantity of hours nurses commit to residents as well as the level of licensure of the nurses. This nursing home provides 3.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed better than average in this area. This is often a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Cook Willow Convalescent Hospi?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning the page to our next area, this facility was given a strong long-term care score. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A in this category. When nursing homes receive a grade in this range in this category it generally means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. After considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 97.54902 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is significantly higher than most nursing homes. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
In the last category we graded, this facility was given a very favorable grade of A- in our short-term care category. With this grade, the facility finished off a straight A profile. With our short-term care assessment, we try to create a valuable gauge for rehabilitation. In doing so, we assess the facility's level of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. This nursing home elevated its grade in this category by offering more care from registered nurses to its residents than the average facility. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who returned home from this nursing home. We found that it outperformed most nursing homes in this area with 52.6 percent of its residents returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cook Willow Convalescent Hospi Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cook Willow Convalescent Hospi, 6.31% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that have pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a great barometer of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cook Willow Convalescent Hospi, 3.94% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents who have had a fall resulting in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cook Willow Convalescent Hospi, 1.79% of Patients had UTIs
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients who have suffered from urinary tract infections. While more of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it is problematic to compare different facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cook Willow Convalescent Hospi, 14.56% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are sometimes used for treating several medical conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cook Willow Convalescent Hospi, 17.25% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percentage of long-term stay residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cook Willow Convalescent Hospi, 5.92% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. Some believe this is a measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cook Willow Convalescent Hospi, 90.83% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cook Willow Convalescent Hospi, 17.44% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate decline of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cook Willow Convalescent Hospi, 23.72% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents that retained mobility levels.
In Cook Willow Convalescent Hospi, 1.33 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cook Willow Convalescent Hospi, 23.72 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cook Willow Convalescent Hospi, 9.54 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cook Willow Convalescent Hospi, 74.33% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's often correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
- Waterbury HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.61 miles away64 Robbins St Waterbury Connecticut 06721Proprietary(203) 573-6000
- Charlotte Hungerford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.37 miles away540 Litchfield St Torrington Connecticut 06790Voluntary non-profit - Private(860) 496-6666
- Hospital of Central Connecticut, TheAcute Care Hospitals 13.84 miles away100 Grand Street New Britain Connecticut 06050Voluntary non-profit - Other(860) 224-5011
- John Dempsey HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.32 miles away263 Farmington Ave Farmington Connecticut 06032Government - Local(860) 679-1145
- Midstate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.26 miles away435 Lewis Avenue Meriden Connecticut 06450Voluntary non-profit - Private(203) 694-8200
- St Francis Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.95 miles away114 Woodland Street Hartford Connecticut 06105Voluntary non-profit - Church(860) 714-4000
- Fmc Dialysis Services Forestville7.01 miles away135 Middle Street Bristol Connecticut 06010CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (860) 584-2155
- Davita Greater Waterbury Dialysis8.07 miles away209 Highland Avenue Waterbury Connecticut 06708CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (203) 574-7933
- Fresenius Medical Care of Southington9.5 miles away341 West Street Plantsville Connecticut 06479Dialysis Stations: 19 (860) 621-3557
- Davita Waterbury Dialysis Center9.7 miles away150 Mattatuck Heights Waterbury Connecticut 06705CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (203) 419-0488
- Davita Torrington Dialysis9.78 miles awayC/O Joseph Marcantonio Kidney Center 780 Litchfield Street, Suite 100 Torrington Connecticut 06790Dialysis Stations: 19 (860) 496-0661
- Farmington Dialysis13.87 miles away11 South Rd, Suite 110 Farmington Connecticut 06032Dialysis Stations: 13 (860) 678-0587
- Rutland Dialysis13.89 miles away100 Grand Street New Britain Connecticut 06050Dialysis Stations: 22 (860) 223-4603
- Herald Square Dialysis LLC14.25 miles awayOne Herald Square Suite 100 New Britain Connecticut 06051Dialysis Stations: 19 (860) 223-4963