Concordia at the Cedars is a small non-profit nursing home located in Monroeville, Pennsylvania. This facility appears to be among the more impressive facilities we looked at. A score of this caliber requires very strong marks across the board. In fact, we were so impressed with this nursing home that we rated it substantially ahead of the overwhelming majority of the nursing homes in Monroeville. We also gave this nursing home phenomenal scores in all of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Concordia at the Cedars
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
4363 Northern Pike,
Monroeville PA 15146
88.47% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
On top of performing well overall, this nursing home earned an excellent short-term care grade. In fact, we gave it an A in that category. Short-term care grades are typically employed to gauge a nursing home's rehabilitation services. To have highly graded rehabilitation services, facilities generally must feature better levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.1 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
Adding to its strong assessment, this facility also was awarded a dominant long-term care score, with a grade of A-. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in long-term care it typically means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses, we turned to the facility's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia can be a dangerous illness for nursing home residents so we strongly prefer when a facility does not roll the dice on this issue. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Concordia at the Cedars?
Moving on to another of this facility's strengths, it also received a very impressive inspection rating. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B+. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining these inspection scores. One critical factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more important than the number of deficiencies, as some of these are relatively minor. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
The next area we looked at was nursing, where this facility was awarded a B. Although this is its weakest category score, this is still a strong score. When calculating our nursing grades, we assess both nursing hours and the training levels of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Concordia at the Cedars Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Concordia at the Cedars, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Concordia at the Cedars, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents which suffered falls leading to major injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Concordia at the Cedars, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who suffered from a UTI. UTI's may be an indicator of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this datapoint could be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Concordia at the Cedars, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for many conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Concordia at the Cedars, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically used to treat patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Concordia at the Cedars, 3.12% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients demonstrating symptoms of depression. High rates of depression may reveal a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Concordia at the Cedars, 88.22% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Concordia at the Cedars, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Concordia at the Cedars, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Concordia at the Cedars, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Concordia at the Cedars, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Concordia at the Cedars, 72.59% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's generally correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
Scores for Monroeville, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Monroeville, Pennsylvania has 4 other nursing homes
- Forbes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.46 miles away2570 Haymaker Road Monroeville Pennsylvania 15146Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 858-2000
- Upmc EastAcute Care Hospitals 0.62 miles away2775 Mosside Boulevard Monroeville Pennsylvania 15146Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 357-3000
- Upmc MckeesportAcute Care Hospitals 7.86 miles away1500 Fifth Avenue Mckeesport Pennsylvania 15132Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 664-2000
- Upmc St MargaretAcute Care Hospitals 8.57 miles away815 Freeport Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15215Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 784-4000
- West Penn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.57 miles away4800 Friendship Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 578-5000
- Magee Womens Hospital of Upmc Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 11.1 miles away300 Halket Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Other(412) 641-4010
- Upmc Presbyterian ShadysideAcute Care Hospitals 11.17 miles away200 Lothrop Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 647-8788
- Upmc MercyAcute Care Hospitals 12.46 miles away1400 Locust Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15219Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 232-8111
- Davita Monroeville Dialysis1.32 miles away2690 Monroeville Boulevard Monroeville Pennsylvania 15146CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (412) 856-5950
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - Five Points1.32 miles away2534 Monroeville Boulevard Monroeville Pennsylvania 15146Dialysis Stations: 18 (412) 823-5422
- Davita - Penn Hills Dialysis4.56 miles away202 Rodi Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15235CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (412) 371-1102
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Penn Hills4.58 miles away11624 Keleket Drive Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15235Dialysis Stations: 13 (412) 244-3931
- Renal Treatment Centers Mid-Atlantic Inc.5.32 miles away4044 Route 130, Suite 100 Irwin Pennsylvania 15642Dialysis Stations: 8 (724) 744-0713
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - North Versailles6.12 miles away613 East Pittsburgh Mckeesport Boulevard North Versailles Pennsylvania 15137Dialysis Stations: 19 (412) 675-0960
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Murrysville6.44 miles away20 Wesco Lane Export Pennsylvania 15632Dialysis Stations: 13 (724) 325-5445
- Davita - Mckeesport Dialysis7.5 miles awayOak Park Mall 2001 Lincoln Way Mckeesport Pennsylvania 15131CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (412) 678-0183