Concordia at the Cedars is a small non-profit nursing home located in Monroeville, Pennsylvania. It looks like this is a fine nursing home. We awarded this it an overall grade of B+, which is very good grade. In fact, this proved to be better than most of the nursing homes in Monroeville, which boasts a decent selection of nursing homes. We were also pleased to find that this facility did not have any poor grades in any of the major categories. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
Concordia at the Cedars
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home received a strong overall score as described above, but we especially wanted to emphasize its excellent short-term care grade. We gave them an A in this area. In the category of short-term care, we try to assess measures of a facility's rehabilitation. We assess a facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.3 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility was awarded a strong long-term care grade as well. We awarded it one of our higher scores in that area with a score of B+. Nursing homes that receive this type of grade in long-term care typically provide consistent around the clock care to make sure residents are kept in good health. After assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping patients out of the hospital. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Concordia at the Cedars?
Turning to another of this nursing home's strengths, it also earned a very impressive inspection rating. In that area, we gave this facility an impressive grade of B+. Inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this facility had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
The next category we analyzed ended up being this nursing home's poorest area. However, even in its weakest link we still awarded it a decent grade of B- for nursing. We weighed the skill-level of nurses at the facility, as well as the quantity of time those nurses worked with patients, in calculating our score in this area. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures. While this place got dinged a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it excelled in some of these quality-based measures. With fewer than five percent of its patients experiencing pressure ulcers, it fared well in this metric. This is often an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by having a protocol of moving residents more often.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Concordia at the Cedars Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Concordia at the Cedars, 7.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term stay residents which are suffering from pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are an measure of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Concordia at the Cedars, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a fall leading to major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Concordia at the Cedars, 1.92% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Concordia at the Cedars, 15.49% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients which were administered antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of patients with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Concordia at the Cedars, 19.89% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term residents which were administered antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically used to treat patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Concordia at the Cedars, 3.23% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients demonstrating symptoms of depression. High rates of depression may reveal a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Concordia at the Cedars, 88.5% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Concordia at the Cedars, 15.28% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Concordia at the Cedars, 23.65% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Concordia at the Cedars, 23.65 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Concordia at the Cedars, 8.84 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Concordia at the Cedars, 72.22% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's generally correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
Scores for Monroeville, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Monroeville, Pennsylvania has 4 other nursing homes
- Forbes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.46 miles away2570 Haymaker Road Monroeville Pennsylvania 15146Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 858-2000
- Upmc EastAcute Care Hospitals 0.62 miles away2775 Mosside Boulevard Monroeville Pennsylvania 15146Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 357-3000
- Upmc MckeesportAcute Care Hospitals 7.86 miles away1500 Fifth Avenue Mckeesport Pennsylvania 15132Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 664-2000
- Upmc St MargaretAcute Care Hospitals 8.57 miles away815 Freeport Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15215Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 784-4000
- West Penn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.57 miles away4800 Friendship Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 578-5000
- Magee Womens Hospital of Upmc Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 11.1 miles away300 Halket Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Other(412) 641-4010
- Upmc Presbyterian ShadysideAcute Care Hospitals 11.17 miles away200 Lothrop Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 647-8788
- Upmc MercyAcute Care Hospitals 12.46 miles away1400 Locust Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15219Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 232-8111
- Davita Monroeville Dialysis1.32 miles away2690 Monroeville Boulevard Monroeville Pennsylvania 15146CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (412) 856-5950
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - Five Points1.32 miles away2534 Monroeville Boulevard Monroeville Pennsylvania 15146Dialysis Stations: 18 (412) 823-5422
- Davita - Penn Hills Dialysis4.56 miles away202 Rodi Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15235CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (412) 371-1102
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Penn Hills4.58 miles away11624 Keleket Drive Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15235Dialysis Stations: 13 (412) 244-3931
- Renal Treatment Centers Mid-Atlantic Inc.5.32 miles away4044 Route 130, Suite 100 Irwin Pennsylvania 15642Dialysis Stations: 8 (724) 744-0713
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - North Versailles6.12 miles away613 East Pittsburgh Mckeesport Boulevard North Versailles Pennsylvania 15137Dialysis Stations: 19 (412) 675-0960
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Murrysville6.44 miles away20 Wesco Lane Export Pennsylvania 15632Dialysis Stations: 13 (724) 325-5445
- Davita - Mckeesport Dialysis7.5 miles awayOak Park Mall 2001 Lincoln Way Mckeesport Pennsylvania 15131CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (412) 678-0183