Columbus Alzheimer's Care Center is in the large metropolitan area of Columbus, Ohio with a total of 783,285 people. This nursing home proved to be a decent facility, with an overall grade of C. This grade was right in line with the city grade in Columbus, which admittedly is admittedly a bit below average nationally. This place did not fare well in every category we looked at, but it did not receive any terrible grades either. Additional information about these categories is available below.
Columbus Alzheimer's Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home earned an inspection score which is better than its overall grade. Inspection grades are associated with a facility's recent government inspections. We awarded this nursing home a very solid grade of B+ in this category. Inspection scores account for a host of factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better grades in this area usually have very few severe deficiencies. This nursing home received 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be major deficiencies. This means that the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies to pose an imminent risk to patient health or safety. A few minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's more favorable category scores was in the category of long-term care. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B. It actually performed better than most facilities in this category. Nursing homes that receive this kind of grade in long-term care typically provide consistent 24/7 care to ensure patients are kept in good health. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 83.8488 percent of its residents. This is a few points below what we anticipated. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Columbus Alzheimer's Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility was given its third highest category grade in the category of short-term care. We gave this nursing home a grade of C in this area, which is a respectable grade. Short-term care grades are critical for prospective residents seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes more highly-skilled nursing. This means a wide spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. In this nursing home's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than a typical facility. The final statistic we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is below average.
The last category we looked at is nursing, which proved to be this facility's worst category. We awarded this facility a D in that category. The nursing rating is based on a number of factors. The most important variable is the amount of time nurses spend with residents. This facility provided only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing grades. This place performed well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these statistics to be measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Columbus Alzheimer's Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Columbus Alzheimer's Care Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Columbus Alzheimer's Care Center, 3.69% of Patients had Serious Falls
This measures the percent of long-term stay patients that had falls resulting in major injury. We use this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Columbus Alzheimer's Care Center, 1.8% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Columbus Alzheimer's Care Center, 13.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents which were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs are not medically indicated. However, some facilities may need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of residents suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Columbus Alzheimer's Care Center, 22.35% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Columbus Alzheimer's Care Center, 20% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Columbus Alzheimer's Care Center, 90.19% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Columbus Alzheimer's Care Center, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate deterioration of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Columbus Alzheimer's Care Center, 18.5% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that remained mobile levels. Some experts would argue that mobility is critical to residents' mental and physical well-being.
In Columbus Alzheimer's Care Center, 1.39 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is critical to the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Columbus Alzheimer's Care Center, 18.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Columbus Alzheimer's Care Center, 74.54% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some would argue this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Columbus, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Columbus, Ohio has 35 other nursing homes
- Riverside Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.74 miles away3535 Olentangy River Rd Columbus Ohio 43214Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 566-5000
- Ohio State University HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 4.4 miles away410 West 10th Avenue Columbus Ohio 43210Government - State(614) 293-9700
- Mount Carmel St Ann'sAcute Care Hospitals 6.29 miles away500 South Cleveland Avenue Westerville Ohio 43081Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 898-4000
- Mount Carmel WestAcute Care Hospitals 6.89 miles away793 West State Street Columbus Ohio 43222Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 234-5000
- Twin Valley Behavioral HealthcarePsychiatric 7.05 miles away2200 West Broad Street Columbus Ohio 43223Government - Local(614) 752-0333
- Grant Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.08 miles away111 South Grant Avenue Columbus Ohio 43215Voluntary non-profit - Church(614) 566-9000
- Dublin Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.15 miles away7500 Hospital Avenue Dublin Ohio 43016Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 544-8000
- Nationwide Children's HospitalChildrens 7.85 miles away700 Children's Drive Columbus Ohio 43205Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 722-2000
- Bio-Medical Applications of Ohio, Inc.0.21 miles away758 Communications Parkway Columbus Ohio 43217Dialysis Stations: 12 (614) 538-1060
- Davita - Columbus Dialysis0.94 miles away226 Graceland Blvd. - Suite 3-09a Columbus Ohio 43214CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (614) 985-1732
- Fmc - Central Ohio3.22 miles away4661 Karl Road Columbus Ohio 43229CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (614) 840-0012
- Kidney Center of Columbus North3.93 miles away5700 Karl Road Columbus Ohio 43229Dialysis Stations: 7 (614) 846-9722
- Fmc-Campus Kidney Dialysis Center4.19 miles away1791 Kenny Rd. Columbus Ohio 43210Dialysis Stations: 17 (614) 487-9750
- Davita Minerva Park Dialysis4.55 miles away4401 Cleveland Avenue Columbus Ohio 43224Dialysis Stations: 17 (614) 478-9604
- Nxstage Kidney Care/Nxstage Columbus LLC4.89 miles away5665 Woerner Temple Road Dublin Ohio 43016Dialysis Stations: 10 (614) 915-3040
- Davita - Canal Winchester5.65 miles away3568 Gender Road Canal Winchester Ohio 43110Dialysis Stations: 13 (614) 834-3564