Colony Center for Health & Rehabilitation is an average-sized nursing home located in Abington, Massachusetts. This facility is among the most elite nursing homes we assessed. A score of this caliber requires first-rate scores across the board. In fact, we ranked this facility in the top 20 percent of all nursing homes in the United States. This place also received consistently good scores in all four of our categories. More information about its category grades is available below.
Colony Center for Health & Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
277 Washington Street,
Abington MA 02351
67.71% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this facility also received an excellent nursing score, with a grade of A. When computing a nursing home's nursing rating, we weigh the number of hours nurses are caring for patients and the level of licensure of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
In addition, this nursing home also earned a nearly flawless inspection report. As a result, it earned one of our highest grades in that area with an A. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing our inspection scores. One key factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some of these can be relatively insignificant. It does not appear that we have information on deficiency's for this nursing home. Without the deficiency data for this nursing home, it ended up being difficult to really grade the place in terms of this category.
Does this page answer your questions about Colony Center for Health & Rehabilitation?
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on our next area, we gave this facility a score of A for its short-term care grade. This is a superb grade. In crafting our short-term care ratings, we quantify the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The goal is to devise a tool for comparing the rehabilitation services of different facilities. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.8 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the final category, this nursing home was awarded an extremely favorable long-term care score. Although this is not as strong as several of its other category grades, this is nevertheless one of the stronger scores a facility can receive. In a long-term care environment, the nursing home's primary objective is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. One of the criteria we considered on top of nurse's aid hours was vaccines. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccination to 77.99043 percent of its residents. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Colony Center for Health & Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Colony Center for Health & Rehabilitation, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric tells you the percent of long-term stay residents that suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Colony Center for Health & Rehabilitation, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term care residents that have sustained a fall leading to major injury. We use this statistic in computing nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Colony Center for Health & Rehabilitation, 2.42% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients that suffered from UTI's. UTI's could be an indication of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric may also be misleading for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Colony Center for Health & Rehabilitation, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Colony Center for Health & Rehabilitation, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Colony Center for Health & Rehabilitation, 1.93% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Colony Center for Health & Rehabilitation, 91.44% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Colony Center for Health & Rehabilitation, 15.15% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of the deterioration of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Colony Center for Health & Rehabilitation, 17.66% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that remained mobile levels.
In Colony Center for Health & Rehabilitation, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is critical to preserving the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Colony Center for Health & Rehabilitation, 17.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Colony Center for Health & Rehabilitation, 10.93 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Colony Center for Health & Rehabilitation, 71.35% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some would argue this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation services.
- Signature Healthcare Brockton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.35 miles away680 Center Street Brockton Massachusetts 02302Voluntary non-profit - Other(508) 941-7000
- South Shore HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.17 miles away55 Fogg Road South Weymouth Massachusetts 02190Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 340-8000
- Good Samaritan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.87 miles away235 North Pearl Street Brockton Massachusetts 02301Proprietary(508) 427-3000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Milton IncAcute Care Hospitals 12.25 miles away199 Reedsdale Road Milton Massachusetts 02186Government - Federal(617) 696-4600
- Carney HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.64 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124Proprietary(617) 506-2000
- Norwood HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.1 miles away800 Washington Street Norwood Massachusetts 02062Proprietary(781) 769-4000
- Morton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.65 miles away88 Washington Street Taunton Massachusetts 02780Proprietary(508) 828-7000
- Westwood Pembroke Health SystemsPsychiatric 15.67 miles away45 Clapboardtree Street Westwood Massachusetts 02090Proprietary(617) 762-7764
- Brockton Regional Kidney Center5.2 miles away76 Campanelli Industrial Drive Brockton Massachusetts 02301CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (508) 427-5329
- Brockton Dialysis Center, LLC5.31 miles away375 Westgate Drive Brockton Massachusetts 02301Dialysis Stations: 19 (508) 586-2791
- Davita Weymouth Dialysis6.29 miles away330 Libbey Industrial Parkway Suite 900 East Weymouth Massachusetts 02189CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (781) 331-7700
- Us Renal Care Weymouth Dialysis7.32 miles away587 Washington Street Weymouth Massachusetts 02188Dialysis Stations: 24 (781) 340-3938
- Pure Life Renal of Stoughton, LLC7.89 miles awayMed. Office Bldg Suite m107 907 Sumner Street Stoughton Massachusetts 02072CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 341-8550
- Quality Care Dialysis Center8.05 miles awayUnit 1 Stetson West 2 West Street Unit 1 South Weymouth Massachusetts 02190CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (781) 331-4100
- South Suburban Dialysis Facility10.75 miles away(Bma Quincy) 241 Parkingway Quincy Massachusetts 02169Dialysis Stations: 20 (617) 847-1700
- Boston Dialysis Center (Bma Boston)13.67 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue 1 South Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 298-2475