Colony Center for Health & Rehabilitation is an average-sized nursing home located in Abington, Massachusetts. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of B. A score in this range requires quality marks in most areas. Based on our analysis, this place ought to meet the needs of most people. Fortunately, this nursing home didn't have any poor grades in any of the major categories discussed below. More information about its category grades can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Colony Center for Health & Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Abington senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its favorable overall performance, we awarded this place an A for our inspections rating. Inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. It does not appear that we have information about this nursing home's deficiencies. Without information regarding deficiencies for this facility, it was challenging to really assess the place in this category.
Short-term Care Quality
An additional strong feature for this nursing home is that it was given a favorable short-term care grade. Indeed, this ended up being its second best category score. In that category, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B+. In computing our short-term care ratings, we analyze a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other licensed professionals. This category is more often than not a reliable assessment of a facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the number of patients that eventually returned home from this nursing home. We found that 5.8 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Colony Center for Health & Rehabilitation?
This facility is also strong in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of B. It outperformed most nursing homes in this category. Our nursing grade looks at the facility's level of nurse staffing. We consider both the levels of training of those nurses as well as the quantity of hours spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
Our last category is long-term care, where we awarded this facility a C in that area. Our long-term care grades are more important for individuals requiring more conventional services associated with activities of daily living. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination record. We were somewhat surprised to discover that this facility vaccinated only 70.33898 percent of its patients for pneumonia. On a more positive note, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Colony Center for Health & Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Colony Center for Health & Rehabilitation, 6.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients who suffered from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Colony Center for Health & Rehabilitation, 3.77% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are often linked to poor nursing care. Better nursing care limits the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Colony Center for Health & Rehabilitation, 2.05% of Patients had UTIs
This gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients who have experienced urinary tract infections. While more of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it can be problematic to compare between nursing homes due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Colony Center for Health & Rehabilitation, 19.24% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term care residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Colony Center for Health & Rehabilitation, 18.54% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Colony Center for Health & Rehabilitation, 2.48% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who are showing symptoms of depression. Many in the industry believe that this is a reliable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Colony Center for Health & Rehabilitation, 91.39% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Colony Center for Health & Rehabilitation, 16.21% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Colony Center for Health & Rehabilitation, 15.75% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who were able to retain mobility.
In Colony Center for Health & Rehabilitation, 1.68 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Colony Center for Health & Rehabilitation, 15.75 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Colony Center for Health & Rehabilitation, 11.2 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Colony Center for Health & Rehabilitation, 71.52% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's generally correlates with better rehabilitation services.
- Signature Healthcare Brockton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.35 miles away680 Center Street Brockton Massachusetts 02302Voluntary non-profit - Other(508) 941-7000
- South Shore HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.17 miles away55 Fogg Road South Weymouth Massachusetts 02190Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 340-8000
- Good Samaritan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.87 miles away235 North Pearl Street Brockton Massachusetts 02301Proprietary(508) 427-3000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Milton IncAcute Care Hospitals 12.25 miles away199 Reedsdale Road Milton Massachusetts 02186Government - Federal(617) 696-4600
- Carney HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.64 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124Proprietary(617) 506-2000
- Norwood HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.1 miles away800 Washington Street Norwood Massachusetts 02062Proprietary(781) 769-4000
- Morton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.65 miles away88 Washington Street Taunton Massachusetts 02780Proprietary(508) 828-7000
- Westwood Pembroke Health SystemsPsychiatric 15.67 miles away45 Clapboardtree Street Westwood Massachusetts 02090Proprietary(617) 762-7764
- Brockton Regional Kidney Center5.2 miles away76 Campanelli Industrial Drive Brockton Massachusetts 02301CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (508) 427-5329
- Brockton Dialysis Center, LLC5.31 miles away375 Westgate Drive Brockton Massachusetts 02301Dialysis Stations: 19 (508) 586-2791
- Davita Weymouth Dialysis6.29 miles away330 Libbey Industrial Parkway Suite 900 East Weymouth Massachusetts 02189CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (781) 331-7700
- Us Renal Care Weymouth Dialysis7.32 miles away587 Washington Street Weymouth Massachusetts 02188Dialysis Stations: 24 (781) 340-3938
- Pure Life Renal of Stoughton, LLC7.89 miles awayMed. Office Bldg Suite m107 907 Sumner Street Stoughton Massachusetts 02072CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 341-8550
- Quality Care Dialysis Center8.05 miles awayUnit 1 Stetson West 2 West Street Unit 1 South Weymouth Massachusetts 02190CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (781) 331-4100
- South Suburban Dialysis Facility10.75 miles away(Bma Quincy) 241 Parkingway Quincy Massachusetts 02169Dialysis Stations: 20 (617) 847-1700
- Boston Dialysis Center (Bma Boston)13.67 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue 1 South Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 298-2475