Coldspring Transitional Care Center is a facility located in Newport, Kentucky. This city has a population of 38,506 people. This facility was awarded an A- overall, which is one of the best grades we offer. A grade in this range requires first-rate marks across the board. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it in the top third of all facilities in the United States. The best part of this facility's impressive profile was its inspection reports. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Coldspring Transitional Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Newport senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. Arguably the most significant factor we look at in computing our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities with higher scores in this area most likely avoided the most severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. Although this facility had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
We also wanted to note the fact that this nursing home was given a strong score of A in our long-term care area. When facilities receive a score in this range in long-term care it typically means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 99.754906 percent of its residents. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents healthy. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Coldspring Transitional Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the third category, this facility also earned a grade of B+ for its short-term care rating. This is a well above average score in this area. Our short-term care grade is generally employed to judge a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation In order to have good rehabilitation services, facilities generally must provide better levels of highly skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of residents who eventually returned home from this nursing home. We found that 5.6 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
The last area we assessed is nursing. We awarded this facility an acceptable score in this category, with a grade of C. Although this wasn't as high as several of this facility's other grades, it is nevertheless not a bad grade. When calculating a nursing home's nursing rating, we assess the quantity of hours nurses are with residents and the level of skill of the nurses. This nursing home averages just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Finally, we also factored in some quality-based metrics in this category. While this facility didn't rank well in terms of its nursing hours per resident, it performed much better in some of the quality measures we assessed. In terms of the percentage of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, this facility performed better than average. This is typically an indicator that a facility has sufficient quality controls in place. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided with better nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Coldspring Transitional Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Coldspring Transitional Care Center, 6.18% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of long-term residents who developed pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Coldspring Transitional Care Center, 2.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients which sustained a fall resulting in major injury. We use this statistic in calculating nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Coldspring Transitional Care Center, 0.52% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care. More frequent bathing can limit the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Coldspring Transitional Care Center, 28.24% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antipsychotic medications. These drugs are sometimes used for several conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Coldspring Transitional Care Center, 19.89% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic measures the percent of long-term residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Coldspring Transitional Care Center, 5.13% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Coldspring Transitional Care Center, 99.88% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Coldspring Transitional Care Center, 14.33% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Coldspring Transitional Care Center, 8.76% of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who maintained mobility.
In Coldspring Transitional Care Center, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Coldspring Transitional Care Center, 8.76% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Coldspring Transitional Care Center, 11.98% of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Coldspring Transitional Care Center, 89.98% of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts argue this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
- St Elizabeth Ft ThomasAcute Care Hospitals 5.59 miles away85 North Grand Avenue Fort Thomas Kentucky 41075Voluntary non-profit - Private(859) 572-3100
- Mercy Health-Anderson HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.01 miles away7500 State Road Cincinnati Ohio 45255Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 624-4006
- St Elizabeth Medical Center NorthAcute Care Hospitals 7.32 miles away1 Medical Village Drive Ft Mitchell Kentucky 41017Voluntary non-profit - Church(859) 301-2000
- Christ HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.26 miles away2139 Auburn Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45219Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 585-2000
- University of Cincinnati Medical Center, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 10.09 miles away234 Goodman Street Cincinnati Ohio 45219Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 584-1000
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical CenterChildrens 10.31 miles away3333 Burnet Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45229Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 636-3333
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.79 miles away375 Dixmyth Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45220Voluntary non-profit - Church(513) 862-2646
- St Elizabeth FlorenceAcute Care Hospitals 11.11 miles away4900 Houston Road Florence Kentucky 41042Voluntary non-profit - Private(859) 212-5220
- Davita - Cold Spring Dialysis1.49 miles away430 Crossroads Blvd Newport Kentucky 41076Dialysis Stations: 12 (859) 441-3981
- Davita - South Hill Dialysis4.66 miles away525 Alexandria Pike Suite 120 Newport Kentucky 41071Dialysis Stations: 12 (859) 442-5539
- Davita - 12th St. Covington Dialysis6.96 miles away1500 James Simpson Jr. Way, Ste. 1100 Covington Kentucky 41011Dialysis Stations: 17 (859) 261-4345
- Davita - Anderson Dialysis7.01 miles away7502 State Road Suite, 1160 Cincinnati Ohio 45255CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (513) 624-0400
- Davita - Crestview Hills Dialysis7.49 miles away400 Centre View Blvd Ft Mitchell Kentucky 41017Dialysis Stations: 20 (859) 341-5561
- Fmc - Edgewood8.66 miles away210 Thomas More Parkway Suite 1 Ft Mitchell Kentucky 41017Dialysis Stations: 17 (859) 331-0167
- Davita - Mt Auburn Dialysis9.01 miles away2109 Reading Road Cincinnati Ohio 45202Dialysis Stations: 28 (513) 784-1800
- Davita - Christ Hospital9.31 miles away2139 Auburn Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45219Dialysis Stations: 15 (513) 585-0314