Clifton Oaks Care Center is an average-sized facility in Louisville, Kentucky. Our rating system was not very kind to this facility, as it received an overall grade of F. We rated this as one of the bottom five rated facilities in Louisville. In a city with countless other nursing homes, you ought to be able to find a better option. More information on this nursing home's category grades may be found below. Its best category was short-term care, which is discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Clifton Oaks Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Louisville senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
While we gave this facility a terrible overall score, we gave it a grade of B- for our short-term care rating. In determining our short-term care scores, we scrutinize a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other types of therapists. This grade is often a solid assessment of a facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. In this facility's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than a typical facility. The hope is always that this does not adversely affect the quality of care. Finally, we looked at the number of patients that were able to return home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was well below average.
Long-term Care Quality
We were also stunned to learn that this facility earned a solid long-term care rating this year. We awarded it a grade of C in this category. In the category of long-term care, we weigh the amount of care offered by a nursing home, rather than more medically-intensive services. One of the criteria we considered after nursing hours was vaccines. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccination to 93.80805 percent of its residents. Fortunately, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Clifton Oaks Care Center?
This nursing home's inspection reports also weren't the source of this facility's horrific overall score. It received a C in this category. We believe that one of the most critical factors in evaluating an inspection report is deficiencies. In this regard, we especially focus on the severity of the deficiencies. This facility was assessed 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to find that none were category G through L deficiencies. This indicates inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies to create an imminent threat to resident safety or health. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
This nursing home's least impressive area was nursing, which is the final category we assessed. In this category, we awarded this nursing home a D. The nursing score includes numerous factors. The most heavily weighted one is the quantity of hours nurses spent with residents. This particular place offered a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This number is far below average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing ratings. This place performed well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these metrics to be measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Clifton Oaks Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Clifton Oaks Care Center, 9.26% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term stay patients which are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a reliable barometer of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Clifton Oaks Care Center, 3.96% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a fall leading to severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Clifton Oaks Care Center, 3.13% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely associated with lower quality nursing care. More frequent bathing minimizes the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Clifton Oaks Care Center, 16.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for many conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Sadly, in some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Clifton Oaks Care Center, 29.93% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients who are prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are generally prescribed to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Clifton Oaks Care Center, 8.23% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Clifton Oaks Care Center, 89.41% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Clifton Oaks Care Center, 16.24% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Clifton Oaks Care Center, 15.8% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that maintained mobility.
In Clifton Oaks Care Center, 1.79 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Clifton Oaks Care Center, 15.8 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Clifton Oaks Care Center, 13.87 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Clifton Oaks Care Center, 72.54% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts believe this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Louisville, KY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Louisville, Kentucky has 22 other nursing homes
- University of Louisville HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.41 miles away530 South Jackson Street Louisville Kentucky 40202Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 562-3000
- Jewish Hospital & St Mary's HealthcareAcute Care Hospitals 2.7 miles away200 Abraham Flexner Way Louisville Kentucky 40202Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 587-4011
- Norton Hospital / Norton Healthcare Pavilion / NorAcute Care Hospitals 2.72 miles away200 East Chestnut Street Louisville Kentucky 40202Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 629-8000
- Clark Memorial HealthAcute Care Hospitals 2.89 miles away1220 Missouri Ave Jeffersonville Indiana 47130Voluntary non-profit - Other(812) 283-2147
- Baptist Health LouisvilleAcute Care Hospitals 3.78 miles away4000 Kresge Way Louisville Kentucky 40207Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 897-8100
- Wellstone Regional HospitalPsychiatric 4.74 miles away2700 Vissing Park Rd Jeffersonville Indiana 47130Proprietary(812) 284-8000
- The Brook Hospital - KmiPsychiatric 6.04 miles away8521 Lagrange Road Louisville Kentucky 40242Government - Federal(502) 426-6380
- Baptist Health FloydAcute Care Hospitals 7.61 miles away1850 State St New Albany Indiana 47150Voluntary non-profit - Private(812) 944-7701
- Fmc - Masonic Home Dialysis2.09 miles away3501 Moyers Circle Suite 200 Masonic Home Kentucky 40041Dialysis Stations: 16 (502) 721-1083
- Davita - Jeffersonville Dialysis2.15 miles away365 Quarter Master Court Jeffersonville Indiana 47130Dialysis Stations: 12 (812) 288-2296
- University of Louisville Dialysis Center, LLC2.32 miles away614 East Chestnut Street Louisville Kentucky 40202Dialysis Stations: 31 (502) 589-5997
- American Home Dialysis2.51 miles away721 South Preston Street Louisville Kentucky 40202CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 3 (502) 584-3338
- Fmc - Louisville2.61 miles away720 East Broadway Street Louisville Kentucky 40202Dialysis Stations: 24 (502) 584-3021
- Ara - University Kidney Center 3rd Street3.02 miles away635 South 3rd Street Louisville Kentucky 40202Dialysis Stations: 16 (502) 561-1314
- Davita - Spring Street3.05 miles away1601 Spring Street Jeffersonville Indiana 47130Dialysis Stations: 13 (812) 284-2098
- Fmc - Dialysis Services of Audubon3.27 miles away2355 Poplar Level Road, Suite G 2-10 Louisville Kentucky 40217Dialysis Stations: 25 (502) 637-1771