Circle of Care is a small nursing home located in Salem, Ohio. Featuring an overall score of C, this is likely a decent facility. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Salem, which is admittedly a little below average nationally. One of the better aspects of this nursing home's profile is its strong nursing rating, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Circle of Care
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
1985 East Pershing Street,
Salem OH 44460
57.25% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Aquatic Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to having a decent overall score, we also wanted to note that this facility received favorable nursing marks this year. We gave them one of our better scores in that area, with a B. This proved to be the facility's top score. Our nursing grade weighs quite a few components, however, the most important one is the level of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as employing a policy of moving a patient even once per day.
This facility also earned a strong inspection grade. Inspection grades are based on the nursing home's recent government inspections. We awarded this facility a B in this area. Inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this place had some deficiencies on its report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. A few minor deficiencies shouldn't stop you from considering a nursing home.
Does this page answer your questions about Circle of Care?
Short-term Care Quality
Additionally, we also would like to note that this nursing home was given positive short-term care marks this year. We awarded them one of our more favorable grades in this category, with a B. Our short-term care grade is often employed to grade a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation To have highly scored rehabilitation services, facilities generally must offer better levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last datapoint we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the fourth category, this nursing home did not fare very well. Due to a rock bottom grade of F in long-term care, this is this nursing home's worst category grade. If you are seeking anything other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care grades. After we finished assessing the volume of care provided by nurses, we then looked at the facility's vaccination record. We were optimistic to discover that this facility vaccinates 98.42519 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Surprisingly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility had less hospitalizations than the average nursing home. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Circle of Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Circle of Care, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols limits the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Circle of Care, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are often the result of lower quality nursing care. Closer supervision limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Circle of Care, 1.71% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Circle of Care, 13.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for many medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Circle of Care, 22.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Circle of Care, 20.26% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Circle of Care, 90.12% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Circle of Care, 14.88% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could indicate the erosion of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Circle of Care, 16.29% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Circle of Care, 16.29 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Salem, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Salem, Ohio has 4 other nursing homes
- Salem Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.1 miles away1995 East State Street Salem Ohio 44460Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 332-1551
- Mh St Elizabeth Boardman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.1 miles away8401 Market Street Youngstown Ohio 44512Voluntary non-profit - Church(330) 729-2929
- Alliance Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14 miles away200 East State Street Alliance Ohio 44601Voluntary non-profit - Other(330) 596-7018
- Mh St Elizabeth Youngstown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.61 miles away1044 Belmont Avenue Youngstown Ohio 44501Voluntary non-profit - Church(330) 480-3962
- Fmc - Salem South0.2 miles away2345 East Pershing Street Salem Ohio 44460CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (330) 332-2958
- Arc/Cdc, Ltd.10.6 miles away3695 Stutz Drive Canfield Ohio 44406Dialysis Stations: 20 (330) 702-3040
- Fmc - North Lima10.64 miles away9174 Market Street North Lima Ohio 44452Dialysis Stations: 9 (330) 729-9061
- Cdc Home Care (Youngstown), Ltd.11.9 miles away807 Southwestern Run Youngstown Ohio 44514Dialysis Stations: 2 (330) 758-0995
- Fmc - Boardman Dialysis12.12 miles away257 Boardman-Canfield Rd. Youngstown Ohio 44512CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (330) 629-8856
- Fresenius Kidney Care Cornersburg13.16 miles away3265 Canfield Rd, Unit C Youngstown Ohio 44511Dialysis Stations: 16 (330) 792-6341
- Boardman Dialysis Center, LLC13.8 miles away7153 Tiffany Blvd. Youngstown Ohio 44514CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (330) 729-1355
- Davita - Alliance Community Dialysis13.95 miles away270 E State Street, Suite 110 Alliance Ohio 44601CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (330) 821-1657