Childrens Specialized Hospital Mountainside is a senior living facility in Mountainside, New Jersey, a city with 6,730 people. Sporting an overall score of A+, this nursing home is clearly an elite nursing home. You really can not do much better than this place. If you scroll down, you can see this facility's category scores, which appear to be equally strong as its overall grade.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Childrens Specialized Hospital Mountainside
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Mountainside senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Other
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in New Jersey Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Mountainside, New Jersey Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
On top of performing well overall, this facility received nearly flawless government inspections. Consequently, it earned one of our best grades in that category with an A+. Arguably the most important factor we consider in computing our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Places with higher grades in this category most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
This first-rate facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A+. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Our nursing grade is largely associated with the nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.8 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by having a protocol of turning a resident at least once a day.
Does this page answer your questions about Childrens Specialized Hospital Mountainside?
Long-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home a grade of of A+ for its long-term care grade. If you are seeking services other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care ratings. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 93.22034 percent of its patients, which is somewhat lower than we anticipated. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
In the last category we scored, this facility received an impressive grade grade of A- in our short-term care category. With this score, the facility completed a straight A report card. Our short-term care ratings are based in part on the facility's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This means a broad scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final item we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Childrens Specialized Hospital Mountainside Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Childrens Specialized Hospital Mountainside, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Childrens Specialized Hospital Mountainside, 2.79% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a fall resulting in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Childrens Specialized Hospital Mountainside, 1.44% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Childrens Specialized Hospital Mountainside, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Childrens Specialized Hospital Mountainside, 17.29% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of long-term residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Childrens Specialized Hospital Mountainside, 6.37% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients exhibiting depressive symptoms. Many in the industry believe that this is a measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Childrens Specialized Hospital Mountainside, 89.73% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Childrens Specialized Hospital Mountainside, 10.05% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Childrens Specialized Hospital Mountainside, 10.04 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
- Overlook Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.05 miles away99 Beauvoir Avenue Summit New Jersey 07902Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 522-2000
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at RahwayAcute Care Hospitals 5.05 miles away865 Stone St Rahway New Jersey 07065Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 381-4200
- Saint Barnabas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.22 miles away94 Old Short Hills Road Livingston New Jersey 07039Voluntary non-profit - Other(973) 322-5000
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.26 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- Jfk Medical Ctr - Anthony M. Yelencsics CommunityAcute Care Hospitals 7.74 miles away65 James Street Edison New Jersey 08818Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 321-7000
- Newark Beth Israel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.87 miles away201 Lyons Ave Newark New Jersey 07112Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 926-7850
- East Orange General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.49 miles away300 Central Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 266-4401
- University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.87 miles away150 Bergen St Newark New Jersey 07101Government - State(973) 972-5658
- Dva Summit Dialysis Ctr1.01 miles away1139 Spruce Drive Mountainside New Jersey 07092CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (908) 232-7800
- Trinitas Cranford Dialysis3.24 miles away205 Birchwood Ave Cranford New Jersey 07016Dialysis Stations: 9 (908) 402-2000
- Fmc Kenilworth3.86 miles away131 South 31st Street Kenilworth New Jersey 07033CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (908) 241-0453
- Fmc Hillside Dialysis Ctr3.98 miles away879 Rahway Avenue Ruth Kliman Dialysis Center Union New Jersey 07083Dialysis Stations: 32 (908) 964-5606
- Davita Millburn Dialysis4.24 miles away25 East Willow Street Ste 2 Millburn New Jersey 07041CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 379-7309
- Fmc Linden Dialysis5.02 miles away630 West St. Georges Ave Linden New Jersey 07036CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (908) 925-5161
- Davita Rahway5.07 miles away800 Harrison Street Rahway New Jersey 07065Dialysis Stations: 18 (732) 680-0370
- Dva Plainfield Dialysis Center5.09 miles away1200 Randolph Road Kenyon House Plainfield New Jersey 07060CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (908) 757-6030